Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
(or they just cancelled one of their many half-baked projects like that tank game and the layoffs are the chaff)

You'll know it if "that tank game" gets cancelled. It's probably half the company.
they should add tanks and vehicle combat in vtmb2 so these folks get to keep their jobs

Flou

Arbiter
It is probably downsizing of the Armored Warfare team. Although a statement from Obsidian would be good. Just so that people dont have to get their information from Avellones dick-waving on twitter.

That is the most likely scenario. AW in soon getting a major update and they might need to unload some of the "extra" personnel from that team. That or now that Avellone is finally gone Feargus can go for his dream of not creating any crpgs and they just cut both Tyranny and PoE 2 teams.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
lol, there he goes again.

Anthony Davis, badler, what's going on.

I would talk about this, but I am not sure what I am allowed to say. One thing to note though is that the layoffs aren't happening immediately. They are happening over the course of a few months early next year.

Do you envision Obsidian parring down their teams / moving offices and going for more modest projects after Armored Warfare is wrapped up?

Why does Obsidian continue to push for a -big - but not too big - but still big enough, to need constant influx of contracts / SLA's to keep the lights on- middle ground?

Maybe I have poisoned the well too much to get a response but I have always maintained that it must suck to land a job at Obsidian - a company infamous for RPG's.. only to get stuck on writing tank engine physics for some Russian vape company.

P.S. am I fired too? This is bill from the AW team.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, CDPR does have more than one studio now and I have to wonder how much manpower Gwent really takes up. Maybe they could tempt him with that historical game he always wanted to create if it doesn't pan out with Obsidian when you take into account upcoming layoffs. Sawyer could be putting out feelers for all we know.

:balance:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Judging by the direction of their systems from Twitcher 2 & 3, they could use some JSW Enlightement. They can't possibly Decline further with the itemization, level scaling and character development.

And all that after they had such a solid start with The Witcher 1.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Judging by the direction of their systems from Twitcher 2 & 3, they could use some JSW Enlightement. They can't possibly Decline further with the itemization, level scaling and character development.

You sure about that?

het.jpg

Keppo

Arbiter
i Dont think he will join CDPR, maybe he just visited them to say HI, or some GOG related stuff.. He has good position on Obsidian, Design Director. If he is leaving then Obsidian has more problems than everyone thought, or maybe he is not happy with future projects?

Sentinel

Arcane
i Dont think he will join CDPR, maybe he just visited them to say HI, or some GOG related stuff.. He has good position on Obsidian, Design Director. If he is leaving then Obsidian has more problems than everyone thought, or maybe he is not happy with future projects?
He had a talk in the area (I think it was posted by Infinishill previously) so he just went there to visit.

Keppo

Arbiter
He had a talk in the area (I think it was posted by Infinishill previously) so he just went there to visit.

Jup pretty much, he was in Poland/Warsaw for some programming related speech.

Rev

Arcane

Maybe he has made a deal to make a The Witcher: New Vizima spin-off with CDP as the publisher. :obviously:

No, I know it's not possible, but it would be pretty cool to have the two companies that produced some of the best AAA rpgs in the last years to work together on something.

Deleted member 7219

Maybe he has made a deal to make a The Witcher: New Vizima spin-off with CDP as the publisher. :obviously:

No, I know it's not possible, but it would be pretty cool to have the two companies that produced some of the best AAA rpgs in the last years to work together on something.

That's a good point actually. CDProjekt may be too busy with Cyberpunk to work on another Witcher game, but they could publish and ask Obsidian to develop it instead.

Rev

Arcane
That's a good point actually. CDProjekt may be too busy with Cyberpunk to work on another Witcher game, but they could publish and ask Obsidian to develop it instead.
I would like that too (or even something new instead of a Witcher spin-off) and it would make sense considering how long it's taking them to make CP2077, but CDP has recently said that they are not interested in publishing other devs' games because they can't vouch for their quality or something like that. It's unlikely that they've changed idea so quickly.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's official now: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...d_Warfare_devs_as_project_moves_to_Moscow.php

Obsidian lays off some Armored Warfare devs as project moves to Moscow

Fallout: New Vegas and Tyranny developer Obsidian Entertainment has laid off an undisclosed number of developers working on the free-to-play game, Armored Warfare.

The cuts, scheduled to take effect early next year, are the result of a decision made by Armored Warfare publisher My.com to partially move development of the project to the company’s headquarters in Moscow.

Despite the shift, Obsidian will continue to work on Armored Warfare, which entered open beta last year, in partnership with IllFonic and My.com.

A representative from Obsidian confirmed the layoffs to Gamasutra and offered the following statement from Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart:

"This week we let some of our developers on Armored Warfare know that they are being laid off early next year. The publisher of Armored Warfare decided to move a portion of the development of the product to their headquarters in Moscow. We remain extremely proud of Armored Warfare and all the work we have and will continue to put into it. None of the other products at Obsidian were affected by this. We wish our people the best, and are working with them to find homes with other developers."

If you or someone you know was affected by these layoffs, you can email Gamasutra to tell your story confidentially.

Deleted member 7219

It's official now: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...d_Warfare_devs_as_project_moves_to_Moscow.php

Obsidian lays off some Armored Warfare devs as project moves to Moscow

Fallout: New Vegas and Tyranny developer Obsidian Entertainment has laid off an undisclosed number of developers working on the free-to-play game, Armored Warfare.

The cuts, scheduled to take effect early next year, are the result of a decision made by Armored Warfare publisher My.com to partially move development of the project to the company’s headquarters in Moscow.

Despite the shift, Obsidian will continue to work on Armored Warfare, which entered open beta last year, in partnership with IllFonic and My.com.

A representative from Obsidian confirmed the layoffs to Gamasutra and offered the following statement from Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart:

"This week we let some of our developers on Armored Warfare know that they are being laid off early next year. The publisher of Armored Warfare decided to move a portion of the development of the product to their headquarters in Moscow. We remain extremely proud of Armored Warfare and all the work we have and will continue to put into it. None of the other products at Obsidian were affected by this. We wish our people the best, and are working with them to find homes with other developers."

If you or someone you know was affected by these layoffs, you can email Gamasutra to tell your story confidentially.

All the best to Anthony Davis (assuming he's one of the unlucky ones) and any other Obsidian devs reading this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom