Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Father Foreskin

Learned
I like Sawyer, there i said it you fuckers. While poe had its shortcomings, i dont hate Sawyer for making the kind of game that he is most familiar with, IWD. It was the kickstarter pitch that namedropped pst, bg and 50 other games.

In other news i think he is fairly handsome for a developer, at least when you compare him to the sad mistakes of evolution like gaider.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Latest Feargus story(tm):

Feargus
DEVELOPER

We have talked with Ubisoft a bunch about Might & Magic all the way back to 2003/2004 - there was a pitch back then to use the KotOR engine (KotOR not SWotOR) engine to make a M&M game. The game went to Arkane though and they made Dark Messiah. That wasn't our pitch, but it was the pitch Ubisoft went with. We sent over another pitch about four or five years ago that was similar to Grimrock, and even had a small demo. Maybe I'll get that movie put up somewhere at some point. I'm still hopeful though, and am going to reach out again to see if they have any interest.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Feargus
DEVELOPER

We have talked with Ubisoft a bunch about Might & Magic all the way back to 2003/2004 - there was a pitch back then to use the KotOR engine (KotOR not SWotOR) engine to make a M&M game. The game went to Arkane though and they made Dark Messiah. That wasn't our pitch, but it was the pitch Ubisoft went with. We sent over another pitch about four or five years ago that was similar to Grimrock, and even had a small demo. Maybe I'll get that movie put up somewhere at some point. I'm still hopeful though, and am going to reach out again to see if they have any interest.
So, basically he's telling that Ubisoft took their pitch and made M&M X Legacy with its own studio.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Feargus
DEVELOPER

An Obsidian M&M game could be interesting. Although I doubt they'd make it turnbased or even phase based (like Wiz 8), so there's that.

Sentinel

Arcane
Does anyone happen to have a link to that recent 1-hour long video interview with Eric Fenstermaker, where at the end he talks about the possibility of returning for PoE2?

Flou

Arbiter
Latest Feargus comment, this time about a Turn-Based game:

"There is a big push here to do that, so it is something we are talking about. We need to figure out what would the right setting and game style (how much RPG vs. Strategy) - if that makes sense."

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Feargus
DEVELOPER

An Obsidian M&M game could be interesting. Although I doubt they'd make it turnbased or even phase based (like Wiz 8), so there's that.

I feel that an Obsidian M&M game would probably suck. Nothing else they've done is all that close to M&M in style or tone. Yeah the lack of having it turn based would kill it for me.

Quillon

Arcane
I feel like another anything&M game would probably suck and cause Rage&Riot on the interwebz so DON'T OBS! THERE DOESN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO BE MAGIC FOR A GAME TO BE FUN!

What's with Obs & magic? Even their game directors can't think anything without magic. Josh wants to make a historical game but there is magic in it, Tim wants to make a modern day game but there is magic in it, Brian wants a 40s-50s spy game but there is magic in it... Is it cos they want to convince Feargus or something? Who can't think a game could be fun without it having enough trad. fantasy elements. He must have been drunk when he agreed on Alpha Protocol's deal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@feargus how big and far reaching do you think DnD and early games like battle tech's influence has had n video game industry as a whole in your perspective? I see elements of them everywhere.

Feargus
DEVELOPER

HUGE! Most of us that were around in the early days were all D&D players along with a bunch of other RPGs - most of which have been lost to the ages. Actually, I'm here talking to you today because of D&D. When I got to high school I joined the gaming club, because I had started playing D&D. I met one of my best friends there - Chris Taylor (eventually the Lead Designer of Fallout). Fast forward five or six years, and Chris was working at Egghead software and got into a D&D game with a guy named Jim Gardner who was working at Interplay. That lead to Chris getting a job at Interplay, which lead to him telling me about a QA (playtester) job there and me getting hired there in the summer of 1991 to test games.

Didn't know that he and Chris Taylor go that far back.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's with Obs & magic? Even their game directors can't think anything without magic. Josh wants to make a historical game but there is magic in it, Tim wants to make a modern day game but there is magic in it, Brian wants a 40s-50s spy game but there is magic in it... Is it cos they want to convince Feargus or something? Who can't think a game could be fun without it having enough trad. fantasy elements. He must have been drunk when he agreed on Alpha Protocol's deal.

Alpha Protocol gives you super powers that might as well be magic.

Fairfax

Arcane
@feargus how big and far reaching do you think DnD and early games like battle tech's influence has had n video game industry as a whole in your perspective? I see elements of them everywhere.

Feargus
DEVELOPER

HUGE! Most of us that were around in the early days were all D&D players along with a bunch of other RPGs - most of which have been lost to the ages. Actually, I'm here talking to you today because of D&D. When I got to high school I joined the gaming club, because I had started playing D&D. I met one of my best friends there - Chris Taylor (eventually the Lead Designer of Fallout). Fast forward five or six years, and Chris was working at Egghead software and got into a D&D game with a guy named Jim Gardner who was working at Interplay. That lead to Chris getting a job at Interplay, which lead to him telling me about a QA (playtester) job there and me getting hired there in the summer of 1991 to test games.

Didn't know that he and Chris Taylor go that far back.
From tester to head of the RPG division in 5 years. Interplay was a mess. :lol:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, think about what you're saying here. They took a chance on a guy with litttle management experience but who was actually a gamer, and that's somehow a problem? Nowadays instead of promoting from within, they'd hire an outsider with MBA who only ever played Angry Birds on his phone.

I think I preferred the old "messy" way of doing things in this industry, thank you very much.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I think you need both, someone who knows the industry and has good knowledge of the type of games they're doing and they are good at managing and production stuff. Probably not easy to find such a combination.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom