Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Your brain is broken.

Josh said:
my attacks are missing at an xcom level
are they still taking out damage on a miss from 5e

because lol!!

Removing unnecessary chaos ftw

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I play well enough to never find myself entering nigh-impossible situations. :cool:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well I didn't know that if I walked over a certain point in the Orc Fortress that the door would close and I'd be trapped inside, and I had not rested before going in. Could have reloaded but it was fun doing it the hard way.

On my second playthrough I did most of that area without needing to reload. That's how much difference it made if you backtrack and rest inside the Healers Hut or whatever building is outside.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
If they do a second Kickstarter with Cain at the helm, they should milk that 'father of Fallout' for all it's worth.

Athelas

Arcane
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203886385457317

Timothy Cain I'm thinking about science games again.

Yes, Tim. Sci-fi cRPG is the way.

Finally. Unleash the Tim; and let it be a turnbased affair.
I don't think so. They'll want to leverage all the groundwork that's been done for PoE, at least for the immediate future.

Though on the upside, you can enjoy your shitty RTwP against a sci-fi backdrop this time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they do a second Kickstarter with Cain at the helm, they should milk that 'father of Fallout' for all it's worth.
He's said he doesn't want to be a project lead. I think he's happy programming and getting to give input when he has an idea.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
J9th.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/482789229848965120
Nathaniel Chapman said:
Honest, dirty truth(ppl seeing this more with greenlight/early access), most games look/play like crap until 2-6 mos. from release;)
so it's frustrating when one gets cancelled, you think "this wasn't looking any worse than <insert super successful game here>"

Fortunately Obs's PoE beta is going to be out months from release. :)

The start of that is also somewhat relevant.

Thinking back, having games cancelled is the *worst*. I'd much rather release a game to internet hate (hey ds3) vs. have a game cancelled.
I hope certain crowdfunded developers feel the same way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Any person who plays the beta withotu being paid for it is a chump. You are stealing jobs. Scumbags. Customer should not be paying for the 'priviledge' of being a playtesting loser. Employees should be paid for that shit.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Volly QA at Bioware. That would make for a fantastic sitcom.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chapman's continuing his winning streak. https://twitter.com/pedrothedagger/status/483532209018904576

I've seen a lot of people get really mad about Kickstarter/greenlight/early access. The anger is kinda mystifying to me.
Dreyfuss Frost said:
The average age of gamers and the average age of gamers on the internet are very, very different.

I see a lot of people that I suspect have neither game development nor full-time work experience based on their expectations

Game development is not the only field where a project looks like an ugly mess until the last week before shipment.

A lot of them also seem to think that developers already know exactly how to do everything and just have to type up the code

Hahaha nope. 10 min coding, 50 debugging, then 120 more a month later when you need to change it and the project has grown.

OTOH Josh Sawyer says that a lot of negative comments on the internet are from people old enough to know better.

Chapman said:
Fryda Wolff said:
I'm still seeing random peons on Twitter bitch that Anita Sarkeesian "swindled people out of their money." Few times a week.

The concepts of "voting with your dollars" or "directed by the community" eludes so many.

In general I don't know who the fuck told these people they had the right to tell me how to spend my fucking money. End of.

I DONT LIKE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING THAT DOESNT IMPACT ME. <-- basically most terrible people

Wolff did some audio work on SoZ, AP, and NV. :)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Feargus will attend a QuakeCon panel...as the judge.

http://www.bethblog.com/2014/07/03/quakecon-2014-special-events-schedule/

Attendees can also check out “Designing the Perfect Game”, taking place on the Ventrilo Main Stage on Saturday at 5:00pm. Join Chris Kluwe (former NFL punter, co-author of Genesis: Prime), Rick Malambri(actor, Step Up 3D), and Matt Grandstaff (Global Community Lead at Bethesda) as they work together to design the perfect game. Moderated by Andrew Reiner, executive editor at Game Informer Magazine and co-author of Genesis: Prime, the panelists will work together to design a game concept which will be judged by Feargus Urquhart (CEO of Obsidian Entertainment). After the panel, attendees can weigh in on the game design and provide feedback and reviews. The first 1500 attendees will also receive a Bethesda t-shirt!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feargus's game-judgment at work:
I'm probably biased being a game maker, but I really enjoyed the subtle nature of Gone Home, the attention to detail, and the solidness of the game and its artwork. It left me guessing as to where everything was going right up until the end. My only two comments, without spoling anything, is that the subject matter felt like it had come out a few years too late and the experience was a little short for $20. Both of those aspect would not stop me from recommending the game and commending the Fullbright Company for holding to a vision that is different than your normal game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
He really needs to shut the fuck up and go back to running the company, last time somebody asked his opinion he talked of all those wonderful ideas for the PE IP

Athelas

Arcane
Gone Home subtle? It has a lesbian narrating her budding sexual development out loud.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I can't take seriously anyone who'd think of Gone Home as anything other than a giant turd and SJW cashgrab.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom