Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I want my Sci-Fi Obsidian game dammit!

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Obsidian will need anything for their next kickstarter campaign if the PE early access/demo is released before it (and that it is good).
The money will just pile up.
Sure a well made campaign will make the money pile up even faster but it's not mandatory for their success.
I think they would be foolish to start the KS before the backer beta is released. They can leverage the (hopefully) good press from the beta, getting more interest and follow-up press on their new KS.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, Josh won't be the Lead on this one, so it will be shit i imagine...
They all but confirmed they'll be using the systems he created for PoE. Joshliness is next to godliness as I say.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But will joshlinessTM be executed? Systems alone do not make good encounter design your rogueliness. Don't forget the teachings.
Josh isn't personally designing any areas himself in PoE so I'll have to trust he gave them suitable directions and feedback, and they'll keep this in mind forevermore.

Even if he doesn't end up with an official role in Kickstarter project #2, I imagine he'll playtest and provide feedback like he did with MotB and DSIII. Ideally there won't be any Saunders/Obsidian-founder style "Nah, let's go easy on them" or a rejection of his balance goals.

joelofdeath

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, Josh won't be the Lead on this one, so it will be shit i imagine...
They all but confirmed they'll be using the systems he created for PoE. Joshliness is next to godliness as I say.

But will joshlinessTM be executed? Systems alone do not make good encounter design your rogueliness. Don't forget the teachings.

Good banter, guys.

Made me chuckle.

Avellone kickstarter 2 project AND creative lead for the win. Sawyer and Cain can fight over systems.

Hormalakh

Magister
Let's hope there is a rejection. If everyone was like josh, game systems wouldn't grow. You need new ideas even if they're bad. Josh also isn't always right even if you want his d.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
He's making fun of other people. I think someone posted "I was interested in PE until I heard it had steampunk guns and shit" in a youtube or KS comment somewhere.

herpa derp JC

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He's making fun of other people. I think someone posted "I was interested in PE until I heard it had steampunk guns and shit" in a youtube or KS comment somewhere.

herpa derp JC
It's not my fault, ok? It is Roguey's! I don't know what to take seriously from him and what not, after all the circlejerking of Sawyer.

Also, without the context of the tweet, I could easily imagine that Josh says something like that.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh is a history major, he's going to seethe when people mistake fiction for reality.

Let's hope there is a rejection. If everyone was like josh, game systems wouldn't grow. You need new ideas even if they're bad. Josh also isn't always right even if you want his d.
RPGs need more Sawyers.
Josh said:
Do you have trouble admitting that you're wrong?
Not really. There's no point in clinging to an idea if it doesn't work out. However, I don't change my mind about something unless I'm really convinced I'm mistaken. If a bunch of people (endusers or developers) say, "I don't like this thing," I won't change it unless I actually get to the bottom of what they don't like and why they don't like it. If it's something purely aesthetic, I still may not change it if I feel that it's not going to turn off the majority of the audience.

Copper

Savant
One of the stalkers should do Obsidian a favour and dig up some Josh comments where he actually complements other people for good ideas. Even in updates, I mostly get a vibe of 'My minions are performing their assigned tasks adequately, except when I have to take them in hand and help them do their job'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One of the stalkers should do Obsidian a favour and dig up some Josh comments where he actually complements other people for good ideas. Even in updates, I mostly get a vibe of 'My minions are performing their assigned tasks adequately, except when I have to take them in hand and help them do their job'.
Josh said:
Let's say that, hypothetically, someone offered you a job at a proper studio instead of Obsidian. Would you take it?
Hypothetically they would have to start out by not denigrating the people I've spent the majority of my career working with.

Hormalakh

Magister
RPGs need more Sawyers.
Josh said:
blah blah blah turn off the majority of the audience.

If this is the stance that Sawyer takes when it comes to all game development, he's part of the problem. I can't say if this is truly his stance because I've never actually seen him design his own game, From scratch. He's always had an excuse as to why he couldn't do it his way: with NWN it's because he came on late into the project; with FO it's because he was working with a shitty engine; with PoE it's because he can't disappoint the fans who backed, etc. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in these instances but if this continues whenever he designs and it becomes his trend, then that just means that josh loves blaming others for the inability to create a creative game system.

Josh needs to take a stand one day and make "fuck you: suck my dick, the Josh Sawyer experience" so that he can be judged upon his own merits and his own creativity as a designer. It's like the adage goes, "If you've got such a great idea, then why don't you just build it from scratch?" So far, Josh's achievements have been upon the shoulders of others.

dukeofwhales

Cipher

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If this is the stance that Sawyer takes when it comes to all game development, he's part of the problem.
Not at all. "Audience" in this case doesn't mean "widest potential audience possible."

Josh needs to take a stand one day and make "fuck you: suck my dick, the Josh Sawyer experience" so that he can be judged upon his own merits and his own creativity as a designer. It's like the adage goes, "If you've got such a great idea, then why don't you just build it from scratch?" So far, Josh's achievements have been upon the shoulders of others.
Josh doesn't co-own Obsidian so he doesn't make those decisions. Moreover, there are no RPG systems that can be made from scratch because there will always be inspiration from something.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
RPGs need more Sawyers.
Josh said:
blah blah blah turn off the majority of the audience.

If this is the stance that Sawyer takes when it comes to all game development, he's part of the problem. I can't say if this is truly his stance because I've never actually seen him design his own game, From scratch. He's always had an excuse as to why he couldn't do it his way: with NWN it's because he came on late into the project; with FO it's because he was working with a shitty engine; with PoE it's because he can't disappoint the fans who backed, etc. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in these instances but if this continues whenever he designs and it becomes his trend, then that just means that josh loves blaming others for the inability to create a creative game system.

The real Fuck You; Suck My Dick:

"The other game I've wanted to make for a long time is one in which you play a player-defined St. George in the 3rd century Near East who enters a land terrorized by the Dragon. All conversation is abstracted into incomprehensible foreign language and the entire game looks like it is a moving Greek Orthodox icon painted on wood and plaster. As George suffers in the world, the icon fades, cracks, and chips away over time. I'd want it to be more about mood, atmosphere, and subtle body language/character interaction than a scripted narrative and fierce gameplay."

Copper

Savant
Josh said:
Let's say that, hypothetically, someone offered you a job at a proper studio instead of Obsidian. Would you take it?
Hypothetically they would have to start out by not denigrating the people I've spent the majority of my career working with.

Why, denigrating his colleagues is yet another thing only Josh can do properly. Seriously, I have never heard him complement another designer, especially in-house.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Josh said:

Why, denigrating his colleagues is yet another thing only Josh can do properly. Seriously, I have never heard him complement another designer, especially in-house.

Not publicly praising other developers doesn't mean he thinks they suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom