Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Obsidian Playing Matchmaker for Kickstarter Projects and Young Developers"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
oHarmony.jpg

http://www.ripten.com/2012/04/19/ob...or-kickstarter-projects-and-young-developers/

Not every Kickstarter project has a Tim Schafer, Brian Fargo or Jordan Mechner behind the wheel. There are plenty of great projects out there, but sometimes the pitches seem a little weak or it’s clear that there are one or more aspects that might not have been fully considered. The difference between success and failure might just be having a bit of guidance from someone who’s done it before. On the flip side, there are many young developers out there eager for experience. Kickstarter projects might just give them a chance to make something cool while honing their skills.

Today, Obsidian Entertainment’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, posted on the developer’s websitean interesting proposition. The studio is willing to play matchmaker between intern and junior developers and Kickstarer projects in need of a bit of help. We asked Avellone about the generous offer, to which he responded,

“I get a lot of internship requests that Obsidian can’t help with, and then it occurred to me that Kickstarter projects would be a good avenue for interns and internship programs to pursue, and I’d love to be able to bring the two together. On one hand, it helps Kickstarter projects get needed resources, and it helps students and juniors get more practical game experience and exposure to the industry.”

Avellone is currently working in just such a capacity (though, he is by no means an intern or junior developer) with Brian Fargo on Wasteland 2. When asked about this possibly leading to a broader business opportunity in the industry for Kickstarter consultants, he said,

“I think Kickstarter is a great opportunity for contractors in general. I think Mike Stackpole alone is almost guaranteed to get a lot of work across projects based on his track record. I wouldn’t be surprised if Colin McComb (Planescape: Torment) also gets approached for work.”

It will be interesting to see how much the Kickstarter segment of the market grows, especially if it becomes, in part, a proving ground for young, talented developers to make their own titles. This would allow them to both build a strong resume while gaining practical experience that will serve them regardless of what type of development environment they seek.

Whether or not this is something that will spread to larger studios is something that only time will bear out.

thesoup

Arcane
New guns get to write shit on their resume / realize this isn't the job for them and devs get to exploit them for spare change. Win - win.:smug:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Avellone found the way to procure work for his studio.:troll:

Seriously, think of the Tortured Hearts guy, thing would have been different if he could have presented some recognized veterans of the industry as his collaborators instead of gimme 300k so I can make a great game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like a good plan. I assume Obsidian is going to do some vetting so they don't match a total noob with a bunch of clueless amateurs etc.

thesoup

Arcane
It's like he read what I was saying in the other thread about hiring people for your kickstarter and solved the problem I raised.
He lurks here so I'd say it's possible he got the idea from you.

You should sue him.:troll:

Hegel

Arcane
MCA always striked me as the Bro-type, there is something in his deep blue eyes that just screams "Hey, I'm a nice guy". He'd be a great angel investor, and you know, what I'm typing is totally not gay, that's because compared to his majestic manliness, we might as well be women.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
He's a good looking guy that's both tough and sensitive and designs computer RPG's for a living...what every basement dweller on the Codex wishes they were.

Baron

Arcane
Companies should realise that putting Chris Avellone on a product ships more units, I mean he made Fargo a million dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the new face of Max Payne or the Microsoft Office assistant.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"It looks like you're trying to change the nature of a man. Would you like help?"

Clippit.jpg

It will be interesting to see how much the Kickstarter segment of the market grows, especially if it becomes, in part, a proving ground for young, talented developers to make their own titles. This would allow them to both build a strong resume while gaining practical experience that will serve them regardless of what type of development environment they seek.

No. I don't want kickstarter to start a new trend that "gives everyone a chance". Kickstarter should be for people with real dedication and demonstrable talent, who are making sacrifices to create games based on strong ideas and concepts. It should not be a place to get a few dozen grand of no-strings-attached money so that you can have a go at some quirky idea that you can put into your portfolio when you apply to get a job at Bioware or Bethesda.

No. I don't want kickstarter to start a new trend that "gives everyone a chance". Kickstarter should be for people with real dedication and demonstrable talent, who are making sacrifices to create games based on strong ideas and concepts. It should not be a place to get a few dozen grand of no-strings-attached money so that you can have a go at some quirky idea that you can put into your portfolio when you apply to get a job at Bioware or Bethesda.

Too late bro... :?

I have no complaint with what Chris Avellone is suggesting, as that is something to occur behind the scenes. What I am taking exception to is the comment by the writer that it should become a proving ground to build resumes and "gain practical experience" like kickstarter is only the first step on the stairs to becoming a real game designer. I don't want to support people who appear to be lacking the necessary talent. If you cannot show that you have what it takes to put the project together, then you are not as deserving as someone who can. It is not an unlimited resource. Projects need to be ranked first by one's personal interest in it, and then by their purported ability to prove how well they can deliver, both in terms of the concept and the finished product. He talks about people whose pitches are "weak" and who have "one or more aspects that might not have been fully considered" and these are the people who should not yet be pitching on kickstarter.

If you want this audience to keep their optimism and willingness to part with their money then you cannot have a foundation built on an uncertain ability to deliver or a significant history of undelivered projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom