Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Owlboy - the new lovable indie 2D platformer

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Got to be honest, that looks beautifull. Reviews are positive and steam reviews are very positive.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/01/owlboy-review/

Wot I Think: Owlboy

By John Walker on November 1st, 2016 at 4:00 pm.

owl00.jpg

Oh gosh, it is a splendid thing when a game like Owlboy [official site] comes around. Big, smart, involved, silly, gorgeous, aurally stunning, and with a compelling story. It’s got flaws, a couple of big ones, but it also has the wit of a Mario & Luigi game, and the professional delivery of a classic 90s big-studio platforming production, despite coming from a five-man indie team. This is something very lovely. Here’s wot I think:

Drawn in utterly beautiful hi-res pixel graphics, Owlboy is a platformer-cum-Metroidvania about a young mute – well – owl boy, Otus, attempting to defend his homeland from invading robo-pirates. Controlling him, and latterly controlling other character’s weapon powers by carrying them, you explore an ever-expanding and broad, sprawling 2D world (but in no sense an “open world” as their marketing rather spuriously claims) in your pursuit of the enemies who threaten your very existence.

owl4.jpg

A very smart tutorial introduces some of the basics, but really exists to beat you down, to see you fail, such that you learn Otus’s status in this community of a few remaining owl people and their human townsfellows. He’s young, green, and an apparent meekness suggested by his muteness means he is without the respect of his peers, but for a couple of friendly folks who feel similarly sidelined.

Then, as events unfurl, your rag-tag crew (that eventually grows to include other surprise characters which I shall not spoil) attempts to help out alongside the more official efforts. And, without giving a single thing away, I want to make clear they’re smart people doing good work, not interfering idiots making things worse – something that’s ludicrously rare in such games, and a real pleasure.

owl6.jpg

Otus can fly, so while it looks like a platformer, leaping from surface to surface is rarely (although sometimes) how you play. It’s much more about negotiating paths, working out how to open doors via environmental puzzles, and engaging in what is essentially twin-stick combat. (It can be played without, but I strongly recommend playing this with a controller.) And the flight is lovely, feels fluid and free, allowing you to swoop about without tiresome restrictions.

In fact, that captures something that keeps impressing me about Owlboy – it seems to know how people want to play, and provides short-cuts where other similar games have only repeated frustrations. Otus has only mild attacks of his own, but picking up one of his chums lets you control their weapons – but rather than having to laboriously find them and put one down to pick up another, by means the game only jokes about rather than wastes time explaining, you can instantly teleport any of them into your claws. Perfect. You gather coins as you play, but rather than having to spend and save, instead you unlock new extras by passing a certain coin “score” – again, it removes the tedium of having to faff around getting money for vital aspects, instead it’s just optional extras for thorough collecting.

owl2.jpg

Almost ten years of development hasn’t gone to waste here – this feels so exquisitely well put together, the combat a real pleasure to play, the boss fights easily finished with a second or third go (that’ll disappoint some, I realise, but you get more than enough games that meet your disturbing fetish, and for once this one’s for everyone else to enjoy), and oh my goodness, it looks so lovely. And I don’t mean in a faux-ironic, ‘look at me liking crude pixels’ way – this is artwork, sublime cartoon creations using a restrictive palette to drive creativity. There are intricate locations, beautiful backdrops and detailed foregrounds, that exist in the game only for a few seconds, then gone forever. The degree of effort and talent on display is to be cherished.

owl10.jpg

Which of course means, where it does make mistakes, they really stand out. The biggest, most common frustration, is the utterly ridiculous frequency with which it takes controls away from you to have characters exchange meagre conversations. The writing is, for the most part, great, and the larger plot beats are utterly brilliant and it’s infuriating that I can’t sell you on the game with them, as they’d ruin it for you. But when you’re only given control back to walk off a screen, and then the same thirteen seconds of play after the next chat, and then again because you walked past a building, bloody hell it gets annoying. I’ve shouted at the screen a good few times, “JUST LET ME PLAY!” In a game as completely lovely as this one, it’s forgiven, but boy it would have been completely lovelier if they’d been a little more sensible about the interruptions to flow.

A more egregious single scene is a very ill-advised stealth sequence that so strangely seems to fundamentally misunderstand how the game itself is played. You’re not allowed to fly for this section, only jump, but flying is triggered by pressing a direction button after jump, so it endlessly misfires the wings while trying to jump diagonally between platforms. Pressing the jump button a second time also releases your wings, so jump a picosecond too early in these manic jumps and you’ll also lose. God, I repeated that boring sequence so many damned times. Not fun.

owl13.jpg

I want to tell you about this big plot point in the middle of the game, because blimey, oh I can’t even say which emotion it triggered! I can’t remember the last time I gasped out loud at a turn a game took like that. But I can’t – you’d kill me. So instead, trust me, get this game and then email me when you get there and we can share that moment, belatedly for me. But see, it’s a game that has a moment I wish I could now talk to someone else about – I love such things.

owl12.jpg

That Mario & Luigi comparison I made at the start deserves a little expansion, I think. The first couple of those games (Superstar Saga and Partners In Time) are two of the best platform adventures ever made, and two of the funniest games ever made. So this isn’t a comparison I make lightly. While Owlboy doesn’t feature the RPG elements of those games, and certainly isn’t as extraordinarily involved as AlphaDream’s Nintendo-funded creations, the comparison is earned. Not just in the nature of the banter between characters, but more importantly, with the stunning cohesion of the delivery. A level of competence and coherence that feels so rare, especially when it’s delivered in a carefully opaque way as it is here. I keep thinking I’m getting frustrated by being given two directions to head in, each so long and splitting themselves that I have that “Oh I’m missing out on the other path!” anxiety, and then being blown away by how cleverly it had manipulated me, or had things loop around so I knew I’d not lost out. There’s some excellent level crafting on display here.

owl8.jpg

What a treat. And a surprisingly deep one, with compelling moments you’ll want to talk about. It’s a pleasure to control, it has impeccable difficulty balancing to keep you moving forward while always feeling like you’re being skillful, and all in the prettiest of pretty pixel graphics. Triumphant.

Owlboy is out now for Windows on Steam, GOG, Indiebox and Humble, for around $30.

Last edited by a moderator:

---

Arcane
So, I bought it.
More impressions later, but... Men, it's really beautiful, artistically speaking:love:
Seems to be very playable via keyboard.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seems to be the media darling. $22 seems a bit steep for a 10-hour metroidvania indie though.
It's better value for money than $60 for a 5 hour AAA popamole shooter.

True, but I'm comparing to the Oris and Axiom Verges out there, which are the closest comparable indies.

Owlboy's production values blow Axiom Verge out of the water tho. I don't remember playing any indie game utilizing pixel art looking even remotely as good as this one.

---

Arcane
So, I played it for a while (I am currently at the floating continent, don't know how far I'm in the game).

I would call it a storyfag metroidvania.

. . .

"Wat? Metroidvanias' plots are always shitty, why should I play a game like this?"
Well, actually in this one the story is pretty well narrated. Nothing memorable, beware, but the dialogues are ok, and there are so far a couple of nice plot twists well placed. The characters too are quite enjoyable, especially the companions of the main protagonist. You spend a lot of time reading dialogues (so far, I would say 40% dialogues and 60% gameplay).
When you are able to play, though, the sessions are quite long. The dungeons are especially huge, albeit pretty linear: in the second one I spent almost an hour, and I was quite fast. There are a lot of puzzles, though they are a bit repetitive: in the three dungeons I visited, there is a main typology (for example, in the third one there are bomb-based puzzles), and so the various puzzles are almost always the same, only with some variations.
The combat is pretty good and fast, though not very deep (you have very few options to attack the enemies). Fortunately the enemies have very different patterns, so you have always to be careful. The boss fights are also quite interesting: instead of spamming attack button all the time, you must study the environments and the bosses to find their weaknesses. For example, one boss is an helicopter: I spent three minutes attacking him, in vain, and then I understood that you had to exploit his attacks (radio-controlled missiles) to beat him.
There are also some stealth-based sections. All reviews are complaining about the first one, in which you can't fly because the enemies can hear the sound of your wings, but I must admit that I completed it in only two attempts: you must be a bit careful, but it wasn't difficult (or annoying) at all.
Since we are talking about a metroidvania, I must report that there are very few upgrades to discover. Instead of experience points et similia, you collect golden coins (which are limited, so you can't grind): when you reach a certain amount of money, you can go in the main shop of the game, and unlock an upgrade (some of them are purely aesthetic).

Oh, and the musics are very very good.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
One major complain I have is that there are no maps at all: as I said, the dungeons (but also the overworld) are pretty big, and sometimes it's a bit diffcult to locate the room/place in which you have to go.

So far my vote for the game is 7.5/8 (of course it may change later), especially thanks to the exceptional artistic direction.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I thought at first his was a cellphone game, but I see it's available on GOG as a PC game. It looks like it's designed as a nostalgia game for those gowing up with S(NES).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd say the graphics remind me more of NEOGEO arcade games from the 90's than console games. But yea the visual design and detail to the backgrounds is definately on par with the best of those, like Metal Slug.

---

Arcane
I thought at first his was a cellphone game, but I see it's available on GOG as a PC game. It looks like it's designed as a nostalgia game for those gowing up with S(NES).

I didn't grew up with SNES (I'm quite young) and I'm enjoying it nevertheless.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Wow, so this is actually out. How long was it in the making - 10 years or something? I've written it off as vapourware 3 or 4 years ago, after they released a demo and ceased releasing any news.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This seems like a great game to buy in a month when it's 40% off and there have been a couple patches to clean up some of the glitches.

Seems to be the media darling. $22 seems a bit steep for a 10-hour metroidvania indie though.
It's better value for money than $60 for a 5 hour AAA popamole shooter.

True, but I'm comparing to the Oris and Axiom Verges out there, which are the closest comparable indies.

Owlboy's production values blow Axiom Verge out of the water tho. I don't remember playing any indie game utilizing pixel art looking even remotely as good as this one.
Shovel Knight? Although that game probably had a larger team and a higher budget.

Anyway, played about an hour of this and it's pretty good, but it's very uh... inoffensive. It's not handholdy but it's very obvious, and I think there's too much dialogue and exposition.

People are saying this is a 'metroidvania' but it feels more like Zelda to me.

The art is indeed great though, and I don't say that of many games at all. I'm absolutely sick of 'indie pixel-art', but this is pretty close to the real deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom