Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pantheon - (Brad "EQ" McQuaid's new MMO)

Xenich

Cipher
I am not seeing your point here. Currency buys vendor items. In EQ, they had potions that were very expensive, but useful in some sitations.
Yeah, I'm familiar with stuff like that. "Useful in some situations" generally meaning "PvP Situations".

Consider everything I say to be as it concerns PvE. PvP systems are irrelevant to the discussion as it concerns this game because this game will not have a concern for PvP in any real meaningful purpose. There were certain fights in EQ where a potion (not just HP or mana) was useful as a solution to an encounter design.

There were casting components for spells casters used which were pricey. People had to buy food and water all the time, there were ranged weapon consumables, crafting components, buying spells, armor/weapons, skill training, etc... So, money had a purpose and it was pretty sparse so you had to pay attention to it or you would run out (it was not uncommon to have to make a couple trips before you could afford all of your spells at that level).
Those are what we'd call "baseline" expenses. If your gameplay is not producing enough funding to afford the costs of playing the game, then the game ends. Gameplay must necessarily produce enough to pay for these things, otherwise the character simply isn't viable: You've created a high-maintenance character build that can't be independently sustained, and if gold/supplies are furthermore not tradeable, this character isn't viable. Otherwise you're looking at a "warship" character that requires subsidies from a paying taxbase to keep afloat.

Don't think of it as a "failed" form of game play , rather think of it as a style of play (This is one of the many differences between old school vs new school). This sort of money management type system was common in EQ and that is the perspective to which my comments are based. Considering this game is based on EQ and the many subtle systems to which it had, I think this system is relevant. I personally enjoyed the management of my money. It was nice to have to pay attention to what I was making, to have to make decisions of "Do I spend it on this spell or that first, what about this skill or that... etc...), it was a certain style of strategy of play, especially when you considered that if you ran out of food and water, healing and mana regen was greatly reduced. As a side note, this system also gave some classes and races pros and cons (ie a Ogre consummed food at a higher rate, and certain classes had spells to summon water/food). So, no... game doesn't "end", it is a process of choice and consequence and it worked very well in EQ until mainstream began to demand change.

It isn't like games today where the vendors are just a place where people unload all of their garbage. You actually bought useful things off them and they were a functional part of the game.
I recall this concept dying around the time impactful PvP died. I never use high-value consumables in PvE. What would be the point? I, like many other players, inevitably finished (single-player) RPGs with a sackload of these consumables, always saved for a better moment, the logic being that the game cannot have been designed to make these absolutely required, or people who didn't have them would be completely screwed, therefore, I don't need them either, and they are better off saved for a better occasion. Being Online doesn't change that.
Well, it was more than potions. For instance, several spells in EQ used gems bought or looted to cast spells. Everything from "Cats eye aggets" which were fairly cheap, up to black diamonds and diamonds which were extremely expensive. This is another component of play that players spent currency on for game play. Some would use them often, others situation based. In the end, this system was more than the games of today where vendors really aren't vendors as much as they are a money exchange station. For me, I want NPC vendors to be more than that. I don't want everything I wish to get or need be that of having to pander to volatile and easily manipulated player markets.

So money would be used for playing the game and controlled by that development, not influenced by player gimmicks and abuses that player trade often produces.
Player-gimmicks and trade is often the only remaining form of PvP left in a modern game, though! To play the auction house is to pit your wits against your fellow man. Without that, and without a meaningful system of murdering them, what else is there? You may as well be playing single player, it would lag less!

Not a PvP game we are talking about. We aren't discussing PvP, rather PvE. I know you think the only game worth playing is PvP, but look at this from an objective internalized view (ie its a PvE game), not constantly from an external one. This system creates a since where people can manage their income and then save to gain bigger and better through standard progression. The market can't be manipulated as game play is required to earn income to buy products in the store, all balanced as the developers see appropriate to the progression of the system. No easy gimick lotto wins. No buying gold to circumvent play. You want to afford that item off that vendor, better get to playing.

The other portion is the barter system. The gear is trad able, so you can do what you will, but since there is no money system to exchange, people would simply trade gear for gear they are looking for. By the way, on TEST EQ, we have over 800 people playing and it was a barter system. We didn't trade in plat, nobody farmed it to care about amassing it. So the system works and worked fine for 2-3 years before I left it after the wipe and the production servers is where I saw all the extensive currency trade.
Test server economies are never really functional, though. I've been on test servers. Often, high-value items are simply GIVEN away on request, while low value ones are just listed for random, arbitrary prices on the Auction House.

Actually this was a functional one. It had over 800 people that grouped, raided and progressed just as much as the live servers. There was a certain level of social structure there though that wasn't present on live servers, and those who had mentalities from live were ran off rather quickly (it only took a couple of minutes of some guy standing in EC trying to sell goods before the entire server was harassing him and running him off). There was some hand outs though, pass me downs, etc... but those were mostly items that were easy to come buy and usually only given to the "new players" starting (which is why people got slammed as they would end up getting an item from some veteran helping out and then tried to turn around and sell it). More valuable items were bartered for. People traded an item or items between each other. High value items were not given away. We were game focused, friendly, etc... not stupid. EQ took effort to get those high end items, people didn't pass them away.

The beauty of such a system is that it allowed the developers to set pricing controls.
Yeah, here's the thing: I don't see that as a beauty, I see that as a negative. I like capitalism. I like supply and demand. I like the free market. From a development standpoint, I have often thought that systems would have worked a lot better and more smoothly if tenets of the free market were applied there. You see this all the time: Some content has a good reward/effort ratio...other content is utterly ignored because they are perceived as having a poor reward for effort. This is because their rewards are set by fiat. If those rewards were subject to competition, a natural balance would be achieved.

Understandable, but not every game has to be that type of system. some people enjoy games that have a progression of earning and spending, saving for that next cool item,etc.. competitive play is fine, but as I said, not a PvP game, its a different style, different focus and purpose. Nothing wrong with you wanting your PvP and trade based competitive play, but that wasn't the design focus of EQ. So again, the point is not "This game isn't the PvP game I want". Rather the point is "How would this PvE system work, what are the pros and cons, possible abuses, etc.."

Xenich

Cipher
This is what I like to see and I think it is important for those who haven't bothered to read anything about Pantheon and make assumptions as to the position of the development team.

A comment from the community manager of Pantheon on mmmrpg in response to someone pleading with them to not be swayed by mainstream:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1006/view/forums/thread/430050/page/2

Kilsin-Pantheon Community Manager said:
No chance of that mate, we are not like other Dev teams, we are not creating a game for the masses or trying to appeal to everyone, we have a select niche audience that we are making this game for (including ourselves) and we will not be swayed from our vision.

The team is working very hard on this and all being passionate gamers ourselves, we are very aware of what our community wants plus with the feedback we receive from our supporters on the Dev site, we are quite confident that we will produce a quality game for our community that many people will enjoy.

I personally can't wait until Alpha/Beta so I can play with everyone :)

So, that old comment you hear when people argue about a games direction, "This game isn't for you", well... that holds true here. If you find that the majority of the features in Pantheon are to your disliking, in the immortal words of Ben Kenobi *waves hand* "These are not the droids you are looking for, move along."

Norfleet

Consider everything I say to be as it concerns PvE. PvP systems are irrelevant to the discussion as it concerns this game because this game will not have a concern for PvP in any real meaningful purpose.
Okay, so let's examine it from the pure PvE perspective: A single player RPG. Absolutely no PvP, because you are the only player.

There were certain fights in EQ where a potion (not just HP or mana) was useful as a solution to an encounter design.
This is also true of any single player RPG. But *A* solution is not the ONLY solution. There are OTHER solutions. Solutions which won't cost you a potion. And don't say it's just me: Potion-hoarding is archetypal. LOTS of RPG players think this way: "oh, I'll just save the potion/scroll/whatever for when I *REALLY* need it, surely this can't be it". If it's the only solution, then you're looking at an fixed cost, and you can't do anything about fixed costs: If your gameplay can't pay for fixed costs, you lose the game, game over.

Don't think of it as a "failed" form of game play , rather think of it as a style of play (This is one of the many differences between old school vs new school).
If you can't generate enough funds in-game to meet your baseline ammo costs, you can't do anything because doing things requires paying your ammo costs. At this point, you have two options: Find subsidy, either by subsidizing yourself with more profitable characters (And why are you carrying this deadweight character if it is costing you money rather than earning you money? No PvP = no need to pay for a warship), or getting your guild to subsidize you (Again, why, for all the same reasons as previous); or scrap the character as not economically viable. It's interesting that a game will let you create a character that isn't economically viable rather than giving you a popamole package which the developers promise to make sure is playable, but...the point remains: Your character is not independently viable and can only be sustained via subsidies or PvP(inc. auction house). If the game has no trade or PvP, then subsidies cannot happen, and all characters must be economically self-sufficient

This sort of money management type system was common in EQ and that is the perspective to which my comments are based. Considering this game is based on EQ and the many subtle systems to which it had, I think this system is relevant.
EQ had PvP, however. A character that could not sustain itself via PvE alone could still PvP for money. Remember, trade and the auction house are considered PvP activities.

I personally enjoyed the management of my money. It was nice to have to pay attention to what I was making, to have to make decisions of "Do I spend it on this spell or that first, what about this skill or that... etc...), it was a certain style of strategy of play, especially when you considered that if you ran out of food and water, healing and mana regen was greatly reduced.
Sure, but those decisions ultimately have a fixed solution: You MUST create an economically sustainable character somehow, or your character is unplayable. You decide what corners you cut off. It's basically just character building, only instead of skillpoints and statpoints, you're allocating gold.

As a side note, this system also gave some classes and races pros and cons (ie a Ogre consummed food at a higher rate, and certain classes had spells to summon water/food). So, no... game doesn't "end", it is a process of choice and consequence and it worked very well in EQ until mainstream began to demand change.
If your character isn't viable, then yes, your game basically does end: Your character's economic output and reserves hit zero. You starve to death. Same as real life. Sure, the game may not formally declare GAME OVER, but if you cannot afford to fire your gun, you can't afford to kill monsters to get more gold. You flatline. You are dead.

Well, it was more than potions. For instance, several spells in EQ used gems bought or looted to cast spells. Everything from "Cats eye aggets" which were fairly cheap, up to black diamonds and diamonds which were extremely expensive.
Like I said, ammo costs. Can't afford ammo? Use your knife. Can't kill anything with your knife? Game over.

This is another component of play that players spent currency on for game play. Some would use them often, others situation based. In the end, this system was more than the games of today where vendors really aren't vendors as much as they are a money exchange station.
Vendors that you can both buy and sell to are still money exchange stations. At the end of the day, it's economics. A price controlled vendor is basically the same thing as price controls in real life. They distort the market, allowing activities which shouldn't persist to persist and enabling activities which shouldn't exist to exist.

For me, I want NPC vendors to be more than that. I don't want everything I wish to get or need be that of having to pander to volatile and easily manipulated player markets.
You say volatile, I say dynamic. If the economy is purely static, what you have is a linear optimization problem. That isn't gameplay, that's math.

Not a PvP game we are talking about. We aren't discussing PvP, rather PvE. I know you think the only game worth playing is PvP, but look at this from an objective internalized view (ie its a PvE game), not constantly from an external one.
Trade is PvP. Nearly all MMOs have trade. Ergo, nearly all MMOs have PvP. An MMO without trade and without PvP...is a single player game with bad lag, fascist admintration, and other players filling the roles of the NPCs. And an outlandish price tag. As such, pretty much all MMORPGs, as opposed to MOBAs, have trade (and therefore, PvP).

This system creates a since where people can manage their income and then save to gain bigger and better through standard progression. The market can't be manipulated as game play is required to earn income to buy products in the store, all balanced as the developers see appropriate to the progression of the system. No easy gimick lotto wins. No buying gold to circumvent play. You want to afford that item off that vendor, better get to playing.
Sure, and that basically just means gold earnings vs. costs is another statistic in your character build. Such a rigidly controlled system is also incredibly boring. Beating the system is the entire point of a PvE game. Without a system of sufficient complexity that it cannot be so rigidly controlled, and without any other players, you may as well be playing Tic Tac Toe against the machine. Boring.

So again, the point is not "This game isn't the PvP game I want". Rather the point is "How would this PvE system work, what are the pros and cons, possible abuses, etc.."
In this case, your pros are your cons: Pro: System is rigidly controlled and utterly predictable, and thus no unexpected behaviors should occur. Con: System is rigidly controlled and utterly predictable, and thus reduced to a dry exercise in linear optimization. If currency has no trade value, there is not really a pressing reason not to budget all of it. There is also not a pressing reason to acquire it. Abuses: A hole exists in your control and your players slip the net somehow. You may or may not find it practical to simply ban them all.

Even your Everquest had trade. I doubt people want to play an echo chamber.

Norfleet

Consider everything I say to be as it concerns PvE. PvP systems are irrelevant to the discussion as it concerns this game because this game will not have a concern for PvP in any real meaningful purpose.
Okay, so let's examine it from the pure PvE perspective: A single player RPG. Absolutely no PvP, because you are the only player.

There were certain fights in EQ where a potion (not just HP or mana) was useful as a solution to an encounter design.
This is also true of any single player RPG. But *A* solution is not the ONLY solution. There are OTHER solutions. Solutions which won't cost you a potion. And don't say it's just me: Potion-hoarding is archetypal. LOTS of RPG players think this way: "oh, I'll just save the potion/scroll/whatever for when I *REALLY* need it, surely this can't be it". If it's the only solution, then you're looking at an fixed cost, and you can't do anything about fixed costs: If your gameplay can't pay for fixed costs, you lose the game, game over.

Don't think of it as a "failed" form of game play , rather think of it as a style of play (This is one of the many differences between old school vs new school).
If you can't generate enough funds in-game to meet your baseline ammo costs, you can't do anything because doing things requires paying your ammo costs. At this point, you have two options: Find subsidy, either by subsidizing yourself with more profitable characters (And why are you carrying this deadweight character if it is costing you money rather than earning you money? No PvP = no need to pay for a warship), or getting your guild to subsidize you (Again, why, for all the same reasons as previous); or scrap the character as not economically viable. It's interesting that a game will let you create a character that isn't economically viable rather than giving you a popamole package which the developers promise to make sure is playable, but...the point remains: Your character is not independently viable and can only be sustained via subsidies or PvP(inc. auction house). If the game has no trade or PvP, then subsidies cannot happen, and all characters must be economically self-sufficient

This sort of money management type system was common in EQ and that is the perspective to which my comments are based. Considering this game is based on EQ and the many subtle systems to which it had, I think this system is relevant.
EQ had PvP, however. A character that could not sustain itself via PvE alone could still PvP for money. Remember, trade and the auction house are considered PvP activities.

I personally enjoyed the management of my money. It was nice to have to pay attention to what I was making, to have to make decisions of "Do I spend it on this spell or that first, what about this skill or that... etc...), it was a certain style of strategy of play, especially when you considered that if you ran out of food and water, healing and mana regen was greatly reduced.
Sure, but those decisions ultimately have a fixed solution: You MUST create an economically sustainable character somehow, or your character is unplayable. You decide what corners you cut off. It's basically just character building, only instead of skillpoints and statpoints, you're allocating gold.

As a side note, this system also gave some classes and races pros and cons (ie a Ogre consummed food at a higher rate, and certain classes had spells to summon water/food). So, no... game doesn't "end", it is a process of choice and consequence and it worked very well in EQ until mainstream began to demand change.
If your character isn't viable, then yes, your game basically does end: Your character's economic output and reserves hit zero. You starve to death. Same as real life. Sure, the game may not formally declare GAME OVER, but if you cannot afford to fire your gun, you can't afford to kill monsters to get more gold. You flatline. You are dead.

Well, it was more than potions. For instance, several spells in EQ used gems bought or looted to cast spells. Everything from "Cats eye aggets" which were fairly cheap, up to black diamonds and diamonds which were extremely expensive.
Like I said, ammo costs. Can't afford ammo? Use your knife. Can't kill anything with your knife? Game over.

This is another component of play that players spent currency on for game play. Some would use them often, others situation based. In the end, this system was more than the games of today where vendors really aren't vendors as much as they are a money exchange station.
Vendors that you can both buy and sell to are still money exchange stations. At the end of the day, it's economics. A price controlled vendor is basically the same thing as price controls in real life. They distort the market, allowing activities which shouldn't persist to persist and enabling activities which shouldn't exist to exist.

For me, I want NPC vendors to be more than that. I don't want everything I wish to get or need be that of having to pander to volatile and easily manipulated player markets.
You say volatile, I say dynamic. If the economy is purely static, what you have is a linear optimization problem. That isn't gameplay, that's math.

Not a PvP game we are talking about. We aren't discussing PvP, rather PvE. I know you think the only game worth playing is PvP, but look at this from an objective internalized view (ie its a PvE game), not constantly from an external one.
Trade is PvP. Nearly all MMOs have trade. Ergo, nearly all MMOs have PvP. An MMO without trade and without PvP...is a single player game with bad lag, fascist admintration, and other players filling the roles of the NPCs. And an outlandish price tag. As such, pretty much all MMORPGs, as opposed to MOBAs, have trade (and therefore, PvP).

This system creates a since where people can manage their income and then save to gain bigger and better through standard progression. The market can't be manipulated as game play is required to earn income to buy products in the store, all balanced as the developers see appropriate to the progression of the system. No easy gimick lotto wins. No buying gold to circumvent play. You want to afford that item off that vendor, better get to playing.
Sure, and that basically just means gold earnings vs. costs is another statistic in your character build. Such a rigidly controlled system is also incredibly boring. Beating the system is the entire point of a PvE game. Without a system of sufficient complexity that it cannot be so rigidly controlled, and without any other players, you may as well be playing Tic Tac Toe against the machine. Boring.

So again, the point is not "This game isn't the PvP game I want". Rather the point is "How would this PvE system work, what are the pros and cons, possible abuses, etc.."
In this case, your pros are your cons: Pro: System is rigidly controlled and utterly predictable, and thus no unexpected behaviors should occur. Con: System is rigidly controlled and utterly predictable, and thus reduced to a dry exercise in linear optimization. If currency has no trade value, there is not really a pressing reason not to budget all of it. There is also not a pressing reason to acquire it. Abuses: A hole exists in your control and your players slip the net somehow. You may or may not find it practical to simply ban them all.

Norfleet

Even your Everquest had trade (and a rather interesting PvP community, at that: I know them). I doubt people want to play an echo chamber.

Xenich

Cipher

Not at all. A multiplayer game where cooperative play is required to progress through many aspects of the world (group/raid content). Just because currency is not tradable does not make it a single player game. In fact, I think you are being rather facetious in saying so.

Sure, and those solutions may or may not be viable. For instance, you may lack the group makeup for a given boss encounter and that potion might be the edge your group makeup needs to win. I am not talking about static design where the potions are required, rather it is an option that may or may not be needed depending on numerous other variables and conditions.

You misunderstand. I am not saying you will not be able to generate enough funds (ever), I am saying that you may not have enough funds to purchase what you need when you want it. I gave an example of this that explained what I was talking about (stop arguing and start discussing). You might have enough money to afford a few of your spells (not the entire 10-15 you got at that level) so you have to choose what would be most beneficial at that time, then go out and continue to gather money. Eventually you will have enough to afford them all. You are doing this while also managing your funds for food/water, components for spells (bone chips, diamonds, etc...), skill training, and so on. All of this has to be managed. If you don't and you blow all of your money, well... you will have to go out and gather more to be able to afford those supplies. This is a layer of play, a system of character development management.

Contrast this with the way things have becomes as it concerns spells. If spell costs are always affordable, then there is no need to have them cost anything. If they do not cost anything, then there is no point in having people go pick them up. The result is the systems where people ding a level and the spells magically appear on their hotbar. They have no money management, not sub game play where they have to make choices. Everything falls in their lab. Subtle but key game play elements are lost, simplified, dumbed down.

Like I said, you will have money to buy your spells, but it may take you a couple more levels of saving if you were poor with your money. If you are spend thrift, inattentive to character development and management, well... you were likely always poor, always complaining about how all these things were "inconvenient" and a waste of time (ie mainstream player).

If you can't sustain yourself in PvE alone, then you likely shouldn't be playing the game. What is the old PvP saying "Learn to Play"? No, trade and the AH are not. That is your pigeon holed definition. not all trade is a player vs player competition. Many people trade for the purpose of mutual benefit. I have something you want, you have something I want. Is it a fair trade or do you purpose otherwise? While you may see it as "playing a game", I don't, I see it as an element of social interaction. It is why car dealers hate me. I don't budge, I don't play games, and often I go over their head and deal with the fleet manager because he doesn't care about the games either. That is, your definition is based on the fact that you view any trades as a means to screw the other guy over. That is a method of trade, but those have classifications as well, some call them snake oil traders.

Interesting, you say character building? in an RPG you say? Interesting, imagine that.

There are always viable solutions. Maybe not ideal or to the liking of the player, but they exist. Again, EQ had this type of system, I am describing, and yet... never did this happen. If you are broke, without ammo, without food/water, you can still gain money and save to eventually get back up to speed. It will be slow if you are at rock bottom, but to hit there, well... you kind of deserved it and really were piss poor at managing your character (which is why some didn't like EQ). If you run out of food and water, your HP/Mana gain would slow to near stop (not entirely, but would take a long while if you let it go that long). Even if you had no weapons, no ammo, no armor, you could still go back and fight low level mobs with your fists to get copper where you could afford a piece of food and water which would last you a while. There was not "end", there was just a long list of piss poor choices which resulted in a very difficult recovery. Call it a "consequence" of poor character development in a "character development game".

No knife, use your fists fighting beetles and swamp flies, get some money up selling shells, wings, etc... then buy a cheap knife off the vendor, then kill some harder mobs for better money, buy some ammo, and lookie... you are up to speed! Amazing how character development systems work. this is one of those areas you are arguing with me where you said that your 3rd party knowledge of EQ is failing you. Like I said, this system existed and worked fine in EQ. No "end", no "game over", well.... I take that back. Maybe for the lazy and inept. /shrug

RL != Game. No system to date even gets close. That said, my point is that vendors in most games today sell useless crap there is no need or real purpose for. In EQ, vendors were useful. They sold all kinds of components, food, water, etc... AND they sold items people brought in and sold to them as well. The idea of price control as I speak here is that they can keep the progression mechanics sound up through he levels and into new content while player economies allow people to amass huge amounts of coin which invalidates any form of currency gating in a game system (which EQ used to be heavily based on). Freedom in a game economy is irrelevant, this isn't a rights issue, it is a balance issue of keeping the systems function as originally intended. You like to break systems, that is fine, but broken systems lead to imbalanced games and when games reach that? They become wastes of time. The enjoyment for some people is that there is a consistent means of progression that is measured and they can work their way up through to a goal. You can scoff at it, dislike, it etc... but it is merely a style of play you dislike, much like I dislike the elements of play that you enjoy.

I like to know that if I see that item for sale for 10 gold, that if I go out and work hard to save up 10 gold, I can afford it within the games designed system. A reasonable time spent of effort to reward of expense. Player systems outpace game systems rather quickly. For instance, when I played WoW on release, people traded items at a reasonable value that reflected the effort to obtain them at that level. So, as a level 5 I could go out and make money off the things I killed, come back and afford that item. In a matter of a couple months, WoWs AH turned that into a joke. That level 5 might be able to earn 5-10 silver in a long session of play lets say, but now that item is being sold for 10-50 gold. That is, for that level 5 to be able to afford that 10-50 gold item, by the time they were able to earn the cash through game play, well... the item would be way beneath them in value. It would be pointless to even try. So, they are forced to try and gain some items and sell them on the AH to be able to afford anything on the AH. This is why I do not use the AH in most games as it is a system that is separate from the actual game. It doesn't function like a real world economy, there are no market controls from the game world to keep in it tact like reality does and once gold selling hits it, well.. it becomes pointless (much like what people claim WoWs market is today).

So no, I don't care for that volatile play (or as you say... Dynamic... ohhh "jaz hands!!"). Like I said, I want a straight deal, straight price, no gimmicks. /shrug

No, you play trade as PvP. You are like that guy who puts on the gloves to do some friendly boxing and you start pulling sucker punches and hitting below the belt because you want to win. You think you are in a fight and so you go all out while I think we are just having fun boxing, etc.. The same is with trade. You see trade AS the reason for play (you have stated this in past arguments), that is what you do, that is your game. Problem is, trade is a tool in these types of games, not the point. So your unhealthy approach creates problems as you are trying to fuck everyone over who are really just wanting to play a character development game in a fantasy world where they can explore and challenge themselves against the environment.

Personally, I don't see how you can find playing these games with any real interest. It must be because you manipulate the markets for real money profit. That would explain why you continue to play AH master in games where there really is no skill in doing so. I mean, its like shooting fish in a barrel how stupidly easy it is to play the AH game and get ridiculously rich at it.

Here is the thing Norfleet. I understand you try to reason a certain way to justify all things to fit in a neat little box (ie all games are pvp because trading anything between someone is pvp), but those are fallicous positions. You are pigeon holing everything into your narrow definition through very loose translation. I don't accept it. So, undersstand that and you don't have to keep wasting my time with "everything is PVP OMG!!!" stupid arguments. Just because a butter knife is a knife, doesn't make it a weapon. You are going back to your everything is a nail argument in the past. If that is the case, not going to bother. I mean, for fucks sake, I have been discussing simpe mechanics and all you have been doing the entire time is going on and on about fucking PVP. FFS we get it, you love PvP! /sheesh

Layers of progression is the point. Many thinsg to manage. You find it boring, not everyone else does. /shrug

You are not a player Norfleet, you are an exploiter. That is why you dislike standard PvE systems. You love to fuck everything up, to see the tears of those you fuck over. You are narcissistic and honestly, for an older guy, you have a serious case of ADD by the expectations of your play. So far though, you have;t even discussed anything. All you have done is complain and bitch about how my mentions aren't PvP. I get it fuck head, you love PvP. You want PvP, but if you can't reasonable discuss anything outside of wanting PVP, then you are a one trick pony, not even a bright one, like a kid who won't fucking shut up at the store because he wants that candy bar! /boggle

Barter system allows for full player to player trade, but your focus was so heavy on PvP that you missed it. You aren't very useful in discussion man.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Norfleet, the fact that you know anything about EQ is making it very difficult to discuss this with you. I mean, you are making arguments that "this won't work" when it has in fact worked. You don't realize this because you don't know shit about EQ which had many elements of this very system.

This is why when someone hasn't played a game... and they start to argue about it, most people disregard them. You may have heard neat stories from friends about some grouping and raids, but these sub systems are the things I am talking about. Anyone who played EQ in the early days and had to balance how much money they could spend on spells, skills, food/water. etc... understands this (whether they liked it or not). You don't because your experience seems to be with games that never had such level of sub system play.

As for the PvP, seriously man, you keep making those arguments and I won't even bother responded to them. /shrug

Norfleet

Not at all. A multiplayer game where cooperative play is required to progress through many aspects of the world (group/raid content). Just because currency is not tradable does not make it a single player game. In fact, I think you are being rather facetious in saying so.
The only difference between multiplayer and singleplayer in such a case is the annoying noises and tiresome excuses that actual people make, a thing which would otherwise be avoided if you simply controlled the entire party...which I generally end up doing anyway. I've multiboxed entire raids and even entire guilds just because people are so tediously whiny and have such cripplingly short attention spans.

Sure, and those solutions may or may not be viable. For instance, you may lack the group makeup for a given boss encounter and that potion might be the edge your group makeup needs to win. I am not talking about static design where the potions are required, rather it is an option that may or may not be needed depending on numerous other variables and conditions.
And unless these potions are fairly cheap, if you don't immediately fix this problem, you're going to go bankrupt. I can't think of any MMO where you're only doing this ONCE.

You misunderstand. I am not saying you will not be able to generate enough funds (ever), I am saying that you may not have enough funds to purchase what you need when you want it.
You never do. This isn't really news, whether the currency is gold or skillpoints. Gold you can't trade is just a fancy kind of skillpoint.

All of this has to be managed. If you don't and you blow all of your money, well... you will have to go out and gather more to be able to afford those supplies. This is a layer of play, a system of character development management.
Yes, but in the end, it's functionally indistinguishable from skillpoints. Curiously, I've also found an interesting thing: If you don't NEED X, and you don't NEED Y, and you don't NEED Z...you don't actually need any of these things. If something can be done without X, and it can be done without Y, and it can be done without Z, then it stands to follow that none of [X,Y,Z] are necessary conditions and all of these are just fluff.

Like I said, you will have money to buy your spells, but it may take you a couple more levels of saving if you were poor with your money. If you are spend thrift, inattentive to character development and management, well... you were likely always poor, always complaining about how all these things were "inconvenient" and a waste of time (ie mainstream player).
Hah. Spendthrift. I have a reputation in nearly every game as the most tight-fisted miser in the game. Perhaps this is why I just can't relate to people who are and don't ever see this as a thing. The way I see it, if I can't afford it, I don't need it. If I don't need it, then I don't want it.

If you can't sustain yourself in PvE alone, then you likely shouldn't be playing the game. What is the old PvP saying "Learn to Play"? No, trade and the AH are not. That is your pigeon holed definition. not all trade is a player vs player competition. Many people trade for the purpose of mutual benefit. I have something you want, you have something I want. Is it a fair trade or do you purpose otherwise? While you may see it as "playing a game", I don't, I see it as an element of social interaction. It is why car dealers hate me. I don't budge, I don't play games, and often I go over their head and deal with the fleet manager because he doesn't care about the games either. That is, your definition is based on the fact that you view any trades as a means to screw the other guy over. That is a method of trade, but those have classifications as well, some call them snake oil traders.
Of course it is. Even take-it-or-leave-it trade has is about who wins and who loses. Remember, in a PvP trade, the game is zero sum. Everything I gain or lose is the counterpart of what you lose or gain. When I trade you something I want for something you want, I am doing this because I believe the item I want is worth MORE than the item YOU want. You likewise believe the same. One of us is right...one of us is wrong. Who is right, and who is wrong, and thus who wins, and who loses, is something you may not find out for some time. It's a vicious game, one played for very high stakes. That's PvP right there. In your typical watered-down PvP of today, where nobody is looted, or often even loses any XP, there are no real consequences. The consequences of losing a round of the Trading Game can involve more gold than the average player sees in his entire life...even when not a single gold piece changes hands. The actions of high-end traders can cost you piles of gold you never even knew you had, when you weren't even part of the deal.

Trade is PvP of the highest stakes. Hell, most PvPers don't even understand this.

No knife, use your fists fighting beetles and swamp flies, get some money up selling shells, wings, etc... then buy a cheap knife off the vendor, then kill some harder mobs for better money, buy some ammo, and lookie... you are up to speed!
Yeah, I think you might have missed (or ignored) that this was an analogy. Your component consuming spells and other ammo-using weapons are your "guns". They require ammo. Your fists in this case is the "knife", a largely infinitely reusable weapon that carries no cost. So as long as you can still do this, yes, you're still in business. But if every attempt to use ammo costs you more than you gain by doing so, then it's pointless, and you may as well just use your knife on everything. If it doesn't, then it's a non-issue.

I like to know that if I see that item for sale for 10 gold, that if I go out and work hard to save up 10 gold, I can afford it within the games designed system. A reasonable time spent of effort to reward of expense. Player systems outpace game systems rather quickly.
Because player systems adapt rapidly to conditions in the field. Game systems are frequently static and wildly disconnected from reality on the ground.

For instance, when I played WoW on release, people traded items at a reasonable value that reflected the effort to obtain them at that level. So, as a level 5 I could go out and make money off the things I killed, come back and afford that item. In a matter of a couple months, WoWs AH turned that into a joke. That level 5 might be able to earn 5-10 silver in a long session of play lets say, but now that item is being sold for 10-50 gold. That is, for that level 5 to be able to afford that 10-50 gold item, by the time they were able to earn the cash through game play, well... the item would be way beneath them in value.
Surely you jest. This is fantastic! As a low-level player, you can sell a crap item for 10-50 gold vs. the measly 5-10 silver, and you're COMPLAINING? Are you completely DAFT, man?

It would be pointless to even try. So, they are forced to try and gain some items and sell them on the AH to be able to afford anything on the AH.
Exactly! This is GREAT! You can sell this worthless garbage to some schmuck who will pay 10-50 gold for something! How this is not awesome? You'd rather be selling this stuff to some vendor for a puny 5-10 silver? The vendor's prices never change, he doesn't reflect supply and demand. When you sell this thing in the auction house and walk away with a lovely 10-50 gold for a thing that some vendor says is worth 5-10 silver? This is awesome! You've just won the auction house! Let's go get more of this shit and sell it!

So no, I don't care for that volatile play (or as you say... Dynamic... ohhh "jaz hands!!"). Like I said, I want a straight deal, straight price, no gimmicks. /shrug
Yes, but you also hate PvP. Whereas me, I'm rubbing my hands with glee at the thought of bilking some rich fool out of his money, so that *I* can be rich, and I will be no fool. You won't see me ever paying that 10-50 gold for some worthless low-level noob junk...unless I can sell it to an even bigger fool who will pay me even more for it!

No, you play trade as PvP. You are like that guy who puts on the gloves to do some friendly boxing and you start pulling sucker punches and hitting below the belt because you want to win.
Depends. Have we agreed upon a rule saying not to, either explicitly or implicitly? I am not honorless.

You think you are in a fight and so you go all out while I think we are just having fun boxing, etc.. The same is with trade. You see trade AS the reason for play (you have stated this in past arguments), that is what you do, that is your game. Problem is, trade is a tool in these types of games, not the point.
But, you see, here's the thing: The Auction House is public trade, not friendly trade. If I'm trading with a friend, I'm not too concerned with who "wins" or "loses" in the deal. It's a friendly trade. Auction House is public trade. Law of the Jungle applies here. You never play nicer than your opponents, nice guys finish last. Remember, these guys are STRANGERS. They're not your friends. Didn't your momma tell you not to trust strangers?

So your unhealthy approach creates problems as you are trying to fuck everyone over who are really just wanting to play a character development game in a fantasy world where they can explore and challenge themselves against the environment.
That's the thing: I'm not the only one there. When you dive into the Auction House, you swim with the sharks. Sure, you've got a few naive people who think that a public trading house is some kind of happy fun playland, but you don't know who they are, and there are plenty of wolves in sheep's clothing. Trust no one, and keep your blaster ready.

Personally, I don't see how you can find playing these games with any real interest. It must be because you manipulate the markets for real money profit. That would explain why you continue to play AH master in games where there really is no skill in doing so. I mean, its like shooting fish in a barrel how stupidly easy it is to play the AH game and get ridiculously rich at it.
Actually, I used to just do it for the love of hoarding gold. I wanted to discover what the cap on that actually was. I just liked having lots of gold and rolling around in it, just like I do in real life. The revelation was not to come until later, and ultimately hasn't fundamentally changed my behavior. Nothing changes the nature of a dwarf.

Here is the thing Norfleet. I understand you try to reason a certain way to justify all things to fit in a neat little box (ie all games are pvp because trading anything between someone is pvp), but those are fallicous positions. You are pigeon holing everything into your narrow definition through very loose translation.
Not at all. That's how life works. That's what you do to solve things in life. When confronted with an unknown problem, you break it down into a known problem. I was not always an Auction House Guy. I used to approach things by much more directly: Kill them and take their stuff! Being a barbarian marauder was a good life, the best life: Crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, hearing the lamentations of their women. Alas, all things end. Things mainstreamized, and you stopped being able to simply kill a dude and strip his entire corpse. Back then I did not auction house his stuff, I just gave it to noobs, they would become my disciples and some have remained so to this day.

Just because a butter knife is a knife, doesn't make it a weapon.
A butter knife is what we call "knife in name only". A better example would be a bottle. You have a bottle. You find yourself in a fight. You need a weapon. But a bottle is not a weapon, it's a bottle. A CLUB, however, is a weapon! You hastily cast your bottle as a club. This doesn't last. A quick cosh and your bottle is now a shattered, jagged mess. One of your opponents might be down for the count, but you still need a weapon, and your club is gone now. But...this broken bottle is sharp, and could do someone a nasty turn if you cut or stab someone with it. You now have a knife.

You are going back to your everything is a nail argument in the past. If that is the case, not going to bother. I mean, for fucks sake, I have been discussing simpe mechanics and all you have been doing the entire time is going on and on about fucking PVP.
Hey, at least I try to understand your perspective, as strange and incomprehensible as it often sounds to me. You could at least put forth the same effort to understand where I'm coming from here. I get that you seem to loathe any kind of player involvement in your advancement system, but you know, pretty much all your oldschool games had this. Your Everquest had this. The MMO genre lost a lot when it went from play-to-work to pay-to-work. Players were simply no longer willing to tolerate the same level of adversity that they would have put up with for free. It cost us in PvP, which to you is no loss, but now it's costing you your PvE, too.

Xenich

Cipher
Hey, at least I try to understand your perspective, as strange and incomprehensible as it often sounds to me. You could at least put forth the same effort to understand where I'm coming from here.

I do, I read you loud and clear. I respect that you want a certain style of play and from our discussions in the past, know what you like (you have told me over and over). Thing is, I don't like your style of play. I have even told you that, explained why and I would hope you would understand why I don't. So you going over and over about PvP to me doesn't do anything. In fact, when we are discussing PvE systems and I ask you to see where a problem may exist in PvE and you go on about PvP, well.. you are useless to the discussion.

I do think you understand my position thogh, you just don't agree. That is fine, but seriously man, if you don't agree why fucking argue with me? I mean, from your description of play style, you seem to think you should wear me down as a force of attrition, as if it is a grind to get me to accept your position. I do accept that you like the things you do. I hate them though. Seriously, I hate them so much that I would shoot them in the back of the head if they were kneeling before me. See, I can respect you like that style of play, all I ask is your respect mine. If you can't if you think that you have to push me, intrude in the games I like, demand they all be to your liking, then please.. kneel before me. /wink

Bye

I like some of Norfleets mental stunts. One of them reminded me of some of the ones I've made. For example, when he said non-tradable currency is a sort of stat it it reminded me when I posted the four (or five) stats in a super mario brothers game are kind of like inventory. Haha, I know it's a crazy and maybe it's. But my argument was "stats" or "abilities" or "skills" or "items" are all the same thing.. they're things you use to win or beat the game. (Games are problems to solve or beat.) My conclusion was the only reason we have items in games is because it's immersive. We like them to be there. It strengthens the illusion.

I agree trade can be a form of pvp. Never thought about it that way.

Agreeing with some of what you say too Xenich. I know character development can be "linear" or "numeric" or "mathematic", as in Norfleets terminology, but I get absorbed in it too sometimes. I did enjoy it in EQ. I didn't play EQ in its early days as much as yourself Xenich, but I played it enough and did enjoy. I know what you're tring to explain.

EDIT: Ok I know RPGs aren't just something to "win" or "beat". BUT evenso, I never played or play them to die or lose. When I roleplay being a human ranger in EQ, I play the best I can, AS WELL as immersing myself in it.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Haha, I know it's a crazy and maybe it's. But my argument was "stats" or "abilities" or "skills" or "items" are all the same thing.. they're things you use to win or beat the game.
They actually are, too. If you've looked at the guts of Sunless Sea, you'd notice that internally, character stats, abilities/skills, items, quest progress trackers, they're all internally just stat qualities, utterly indistinct in any way, just a numerical identifier and a value. The only difference is how they interact and are presented to the user.

My view of things is to distill everything down to its fundamental essence, so I naturally see these things as fundamentally the same. If I can't use it as a medium of exchange, my gold stat is no different from my mana stat: You consume it to power abilities.

Most don't. That's why they lose at it. They overpay on the Auction House, then whine about the prices. They've been had. They lost the game. Xenich hates PvP. Xenich also hates the Auction House. This is because they are the same thing. The Auction House *IS* PvP, and since Xenich hates PvP, he quite naturally hates the auction house. I love PvP. I used to be rather indifferent to the Auction House, but when I made the connection that the Auction House is PvP, I started to really like the auction house. I mean, what is war, really, except trade in another form? You want something that belongs to someone else. You pay to get it. Whether you pay in gold or in bullets is unimportant. If that item costs you more than you can afford in gold or bullets, you don't get to have it. The gold or bullets you use to get it can't be used to get anything else. It is the same. Trade is war, and war is trade. There's a reason we call it "Trading Fire" and "Trade Wars". Since the entity you're trading with, whether you are trading gold or trading bullets, is another player, this makes it PvP by definition.

I do accept that you like the things you do. I hate them though. Seriously, I hate them so much that I would shoot them in the back of the head if they were kneeling before me.
Yes, I get that you apparently really loathe everything PvP and PvP-like. The thing is, without that, what do you have? A MOBA where your opponents are all bots and your teammates are all particularly annoying, foul-mouthed, lazy, incompetent, and inattentive bots, where you grind apparently endlessly to get bigger numbers to fight bots that have bigger numbers, never to reach any kind of goal (because you hate endgame)? Is this really what you want? A single player game where none of your partymembers will follow orders or even bother to show up on time, attached to an online chatroom? This isn't even the Everquest you regard so highly...Everquest had a vibrant PvP scene in both the conventional PvP you accept as PvP, and the trading scene.

Maybe you don't see this. It doesn't seem your way to deconstruct things. But that's what I see when I deconstruct the idealized world you describe.

(....)
I do accept that you like the things you do. I hate them though. Seriously, I hate them so much that I would shoot them in the back of the head if they were kneeling before me.
Yes, I get that you apparently really loathe everything PvP and PvP-like. The thing is, without that, what do you have? A MOBA where your opponents are all bots and your teammates are all particularly annoying, foul-mouthed, lazy, incompetent, and inattentive bots, where you grind apparently endlessly to get bigger numbers to fight bots that have bigger numbers, never to reach any kind of goal (because you hate endgame)? Is this really what you want? A single player game where none of your partymembers will follow orders or even bother to show up on time, attached to an online chatroom? This isn't even the Everquest you regard so highly...Everquest had a vibrant PvP scene in both the conventional PvP you accept as PvP, and the trading scene.
(....)
Well on the outside PvE is more static than PvP, but the imagination does a lot to make oneself look past that. And you know a lot of the "annoying, foul-mouthed, lazy, incompetent, and inattentive bots" was what made it so fun - or painful for some. It was a very social thing. EQ was a fancy chat room, even if it's unfair to classify it that way.

Frankly, all of the sinlge player RPGs I've ever played were PvE. I still enjoyed them. Does that mean I'm dumb? Probably.

Words can be weapons too, Norfleet. Is the chatroom PvP too? Maybe sometimes? I know ther'es got to be a smart-ish quote to make it more compelling. I know the social "game" doesn't output hard currency or stats, but I have ot think wining the social "game" helps. Like, for example, I never was a guild leader. I probably never will be. I think that matters. (And there was a player I knew in EQ who made lots of plat just doing clever emotes which were all timed appropriately.)

I almost always played on PVP servers in my MMORPGs. In taht respect, I'm like you Norfleet. But I've always been a builder or a PvE'er even on PvP servers. I played Shadowbane and I enjoyed mostly just killing in PvE. I did try a few stints at being a assassin. It was semi-fun. I'd sneak over the walls and then come out and backstab someone. Killed a couple. But I always hated myself if I felt I griefed. 90% of the time I was the one being PvP'd instead of the other way around. In EQ, I think I had combined ~25 deaths for every kill. I'm not lying whne I say that just because I played in PvP games or servers doesn't mean I'm full blooded PvP.

What am I saying with that last paragraph? I'm agreeing with both of you.

Last edited:

Norfleet

EQ was a fancy chat room, even if it's unfair to classify it that way.
What's unfair about it? It is what it is. Every online game has a fancy-chatroom component. Some of us would simply like them to be more than JUST that.

Frankly, all of the sinlge player RPGs I've ever played were PvE. I still enjoyed them. Does that mean I'm dumb? Probably.
Of course, but they also had the advantages of being single-player. No lag. No disconnections. No corrupt, fascist administrators.

Words can be weapons too, Norfleet. Is the chatroom PvP too? Maybe sometimes?
Perhaps, but only if there's an existing avenue of PvP to go with it. The weaponization of words can't occur in a vacuum. In space, no one can hear you whine.

I almost always played on PVP servers in my MMORPGs. In taht respect, I'm like you Norfleet. But I've always been a builder or a PvE'er even on PvP servers.
In some ways, I'm similar. I, too, have a love of CONSTRUCTING ADDITIONAL PYLONS. But whereas you tend tend to mainly build, and occasionally dabble in the occasional killing, I tend to start out with occasionally killing a dude, and move into constructing logistical engines of war. The act of personally killing another player, the entire hunt and the thrill of the kill that many Bartle-type killers go for, isn't really what interests me. I am an Engineer. I don't deliver death, I create systems that deliver death.

In EQ, I think I had combined 100 deaths for every kill. I'm not lying whne I say that just because I played in PvP games or servers doesn't mean I'm full blooded PvP.
It's hard to say how many kills I might be responsible for, personally. I'm not usually the hand that wields the blade, these days. That is for those who are younger and faster than I am. I'm the one that created the sword factory that churns out masterwork swords for my legions. Logistics is what wins wars. In the Auction House Wars, I still tend to be less the guy who makes the trades and more the guy who produces the goods.

Xenich

Cipher

Yes, I get that you apparently really loathe everything PvP and PvP-like. The thing is, without that, what do you have? A MOBA where your opponents are all bots and your teammates are all particularly annoying, foul-mouthed, lazy, incompetent, and inattentive bots, where you grind apparently endlessly to get bigger numbers to fight bots that have bigger numbers, never to reach any kind of goal (because you hate endgame)? Is this really what you want? A single player game where none of your partymembers will follow orders or even bother to show up on time, attached to an online chatroom?

Actually, all of my teammates were highly educated and intelligent professionals in the technical and specialist fields (I still occasionally play games with them and have known them for over 15 years). Part of why I hate PvP these days is due to the crowd of mainstream people playing games these days. They are every bit as you explain and the game play you describe is exactly the pointless mindless button smashing combat I came to despise. I have been there done that for over 20 years. The conflict of PvP doesn't entertain me as it used to.

Also, the reason I don't care for most end games these days is because the effort in them is pointless. I want meaningful progression and end game in mainstream games do not provide this. They make you farm for hours and hours to obtain gear that is completely invalidated by new content the moment it is released. There is no overlapping progression, no meaning to your efforts as there was in EQ (ie a lot of gear was useful over the course of multiple expansions, so... risk (and effort)/reward were properly balanced.

See, I keep trying to explain to you the subtle elements of why EQ was what it was. It was a culmination of many aspects of play to where removing any small element took away from the over all feeling. I explained the details of why combat was more than just sitting there staring at a screen, that its difficulty was a culmination of factors to manage which often would get out of hand. EQ was not fast paced, but it was not easy either. It was difficult in different ways, the same that chess or any other strategy game is difficult in different ways compared to a more active game.

There is nothing wrong with you disliking that style, but the inability to accept that someone else may enjoy elements of play that differ from you is a serious problem in accepting reality. People don't have to like what you do. Welcome to life.

This isn't even the Everquest you regard so highly...Everquest had a vibrant PvP scene in both the conventional PvP you accept as PvP, and the trading scene.

Actually PvP in EQ was only on PvP servers. On the PvE servers, the only PvP that existed was with those who chose to flag themselves permanently (once you did, there was no going back), dueling, or the Arena. People rarely flagged themselves PvP and the dueling and Arena were casual play that wasn't done to any real noticable effect. PvP for all intense and purposes did not exist on PvE servers. Also keep in mind, Brad never designed the game for PvP, didn't care about it. They had separate servers that initially were not different rule sets. They changes only on those servers after much protest. Point is, PvP in EQ wasn't really even a thing in terms of the focus and development of the game. So no, what you know through a 3rd party about EQ PvP is wrong. EQ was PvE, not PVP at its core.

Maybe you don't see this. It doesn't seem your way to deconstruct things. But that's what I see when I deconstruct the idealized world you describe.

I know, you take a hammer and everything is a nail. You can only evaluate according to a singular view, a singular measure. You are like the atheist who evaluates a given religion. Your evaluation is based solely on your external measure. That is, you can not look at something from any view but that specific one.

In logic, to evaluate things there are internal and external perspectives. The external perspective evaluates things from its own internal view. It measures everything by that criteria. An internal view of an external steps outside of ones own internal perspective and measures that external view from the constraints of its own internal ideals.

So when I ask you "evaluate this PvE concept as to its pros/cons", I am asking not that of your own internal PvP perspective, but from a PvE one. That is, I expect you to evaluate the PvE, from that of a PvE style and play focus. Your PvP perspective isn't helpful because we aren't talking about PvP and when you continue to go on about PvP when we aren't talking about PvP it becomes pointless. Yes... you like vanilla, I like chocolate, I don't care about how chocolate isn't as good as vanilla, I want to know about chocolate, not vanilla. Do you understand the issue with your constant need to evaluate with PvP eyes?

I mean, I am not saying an external perspective is worthless, but we have gone over such over and over. It isn't helpful anymore, its distracting. You won't convince me to not like chocolate, so continuing to argue so becomes narcissistic on your part.

That is what you need to understand. If you can't do that, if you find that you can't comment on a system without turning it into yet another "but PvP... " then don't bother responding. /shrug

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher

Why would you be dumb because you liked single player RPGs?

The sign of a dumb person is one who is unable to tell the difference between a subjective an factually objective declaration. People saying single player games or PvE is less intelligent than PvP are just insecure and trying to shore up their personal flaws with projection (ie they are insecure morons)

Xenich

Cipher
I like some of Norfleets mental stunts. One of them reminded me of some of the ones I've made. For example, when he said non-tradable currency is a sort of stat it it reminded me when I posted the four (or five) stats in a super mario brothers game are kind of like inventory. Haha, I know it's a crazy and maybe it's. But my argument was "stats" or "abilities" or "skills" or "items" are all the same thing.. they're things you use to win or beat the game. (Games are problems to solve or beat.) My conclusion was the only reason we have items in games is because it's immersive. We like them to be there. It strengthens the illusion.

They are mini-game elements. Sub games to which layer to create a means of character development and management. If we accept his premise, then traditional character development is pointless. The problem here is that Norfleet is walking into an Italian restaurant and bitching about how they don't serve Chinese food and how shitty Italian food is while Chinese food is so much better. That is, it is the same reason I jumped on your case about mainstream focus. Pantheon is not a PvP game, will not cater to PvP at all, is not part of their development focus. They are making a PvE game, only focusing on PvE elements, etc.. Norfleet trying claim trade is PvP and that justifies arguing for PVP systems after what has already been stated? Well, it is pretty silly.

One of the problems with looking at trade as a form of PvP is that many do not see it as such. Many people go to the AH, buy and sell and do not do so with the competitive focus that Norfleet does. Many go there with no intent or thought at all of it being PvP (you even said you never thought of it that way). That doesn't mean it can't be such, but at its default it is not the competitive sport Norfleet says it is.

That is, many people won't act as such, treat it as such and so there is no competition, just someone selling something off, or buying something. How many people have you seen use the AH that really don't "play" it, but occasionally use it from time to time. Now, think about that and how Norfleet is playing. To me, there no real challenge taking advantage of the bulk of people who don't even know they are in some PvP contest, who are oblivious to the whole scheme.

That is why I see such attention to AH systems as a waste. The entire purpose of them was to facilitate trade among people to get the things they need or want within the game. Norfleet doesn't play the game, he just stacks his gold in high piles as if it somehow it is a status of his accomplishment. As I said, because the market isn't some heavy PvP competition he thinks, it is more akin to a grown man taking candy from a baby and then acting like they accomplished some challenge. Fact is, there are actually games out there on the internet which are entirely economic/political power games (can't remember exactly, but there used to be one we played years ago where you ran a country and the goal was to take over the world. Each player had to manage multiple aspects of costs and deal with the encroaching elements of other countries such as war, trade wars, embargos, etc...).

In that type of game, all of the players are playing against each other as it is the point of the game, not like the AH where only a small portion of the players are attempting to manipulate the markets and have a fat ripe base of people to manipulate who really don't even know or pay attention that they are doing such. Challenge? Yeah.. boring as hell, pointless, no skill, waste of time play. Though more power to him if that is what he likes, I however don't play the AH game because if that conflict is what I sought, I would be playing the skill based economic game I described. There is no skill in taking money from unsuspecting dupes in a MMOrpg AH.

Agreeing with some of what you say too Xenich. I know character development can be "linear" or "numeric" or "mathematic", as in Norfleets terminology, but I get absorbed in it too sometimes. I did enjoy it in EQ. I didn't play EQ in its early days as much as yourself Xenich, but I played it enough and did enjoy. I know what you're tring to explain.

EDIT: Ok I know RPGs aren't just something to "win" or "beat". BUT evenso, I never played or play them to die or lose. When I roleplay being a human ranger in EQ, I play the best I can, AS WELL as immersing myself in it.

A game is a set of objectives to which a player competes to over come. Who he competes with can be a player, a system, a puzzle, an etc...

Norfleet is claiming that the only game worth playing is the competition with another person. That is fine he "thinks" that, but he would be a complete fucking moron to "believe" that his perception is fact. It would be like him arguing for hours about how vanilla is the best ice cream flavor and telling everyone who likes other flavors that they are stupid, wrong, and should not be attended to. In Norfleets world, there is only one flavor of ice cream and we must all agree with him.

Last edited:
Another aspect to the money management thing in EQ, Xenich, was the search. I mean, you couldn't find ALL rour spells in the local guild(s). If you were a hybrid, like I was, you had to check several different guilds to get your spells. You had to search the world for the rest. Frequently you'd get tips from other players about spells. Many players looked at allah when it was available - yes I used Allah later on. Early on, say up to 2001 or 02', I didn't use allah. But anyway, what do you think about the search? About spells/weapons being dispersed all over the world in different, sometimes subtle places? Also keeping in mind the search in EQ wasn't always ongoing. Many times I didn't know there were extra spells to find. I was told by other players.

There's this idea I think in modern games that all spells/weapons or important items must be available everywhere.

I grew to hate allah because I felt it was like the map. The GPS in EQ was brought up in another thread, and I think that's the turning point when maps become intrusive and overbearing. I think that's what happened to allah.

Is there a way to reduce allah-watching, while keeping the in-game world as diverse (or moreso) than EQ? The reason we turned to allah ater on was because it gave information on everything important to us. It told us where the spells were. Where the loot was. Where the quests were. Where spawns/foraged items were. Alah was like a map of everything in teh game.

I used allah a lot between 2007-2010, the last time I subbed. I still have bazillions of allah links.

My prediction for MMORPGs is they'l try to have a simplified "allah" in-game or they'll just make everything available everywhere (or easily found). I have a problem with both paths. First, I was never happy with allah-watching, so bringing it in-game isn't much better. And second, making everything easily available makes the world bland in my eyes.

A parallel to the "make everything easily available" can be found in Wrum Online - the current game I spend my adventures in. In that game, valuable things like minerals and trees can be distinct and in diferent amounts in different places. There might be a vein of marble in one place and not in another. There might be cedar in one place and not in another. There might be lots of trees in one place but only a couple in another(steppes). My feeling is in teh future the game will try to make everyhing available everywhere to reduce complaints about hings being too dispersed (or hoarded/controlled by specific players or groups of players). Another xample of this is when players are searching for place to build their home. They want to find a place which isn't deeded for built on. I think in the future the world will be instanced or there'll be a map to show them where to go. :/

Many games face these challenges. Players wnat easy access, most of the time. I'd consider myself a minority on this because I like things to be dispersed. On the other hand, I don't like allah-watching, so things're unclear.

(When I was trying EQ2 I learned to hate its map because it showed the quest information. I know some players like that to be there, but I was not happy about that. It just was another reason to leave altogether - I did eventually quit. I mean, come on, just give me good directions, you don't have to put a marker for every single thing on it.)

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Another aspect to the money management thing in EQ, Xenich, was the search. I mean, you couldn't find ALL rour spells in the local guild(s). If you were a hybrid, like I was, you had to check several different guilds to get your spells. You had to search the world for the rest. Frequently you'd get tips from other players about spells. Many players looked at allah when it was available - yes I used Allah later on. Early on, say up to 2001 or 02', I didn't use allah. But anyway, what do you think about the search? About spells/weapons being dispersed all over the world in different, sometimes subtle places? Also keeping in mind the search in EQ wasn't always ongoing. Many times I didn't know there were extra spells to find. I was told by other players.

Good point, and yet another subtle play element in the layers of play. It is the layer after layer of these things that made the game so intriguing, more like an actual world then just another video game.

There's this idea I think in modern games that all spells/weapons or important items must be available everywhere.

That was the "convenience" arguments result. Many main streamers think having to go search for something is a detriment to their "fun".

I grew to hate allah because I felt it was like the map. The GPS in EQ was brought up in another thread, and I think that's the turning point when maps become intrusive and overbearing. I think that's what happened to allah.

Yeah, the game lost some flare due to the addition of maps/GPS. It used to be a player skill to have a knowledge of the entire zone you were in.

Is there a way to reduce allah-watching, while keeping the in-game world as diverse (or moreso) than EQ? The reason we turned to allah ater on was because it gave information on everything important to us. It told us where the spells were. Where the loot was. Where the quests were. Where spawns/foraged items were. Alah was like a map of everything in teh game.

I used allah a lot between 2007-2010, the last time I subbed. I still have bazillions of allah links.

My prediction for MMORPGs is they'l try to have "allah" in-game or they'll just make everything available everywhere. I have a problem with both paths. First, I was never happy with allah-watching, so bringing it in-game isn't much better. And second, making everything availble everywhere makes the world bland in my eyes.

I honestly don't care that people cheat externally in the game. If they want to look up maps, spawn locations, quest hints, etc... more power to them. I just have a problem when the game design begins to cater to it because those same people start making "convenience" arguments as to why it should be automated in the game because they are too lazy to look it up outside of the game. The developers shouldn't be wasting time trying to aid lazy cheaters. The benefit of this is that I get to enjoy the game without having all these features built in to accommodate cheating play.

As long as they don't bring it into the game, I am happy. People can have separate monitors up, alt tab, etc... I really don't care, just as long as I don't have it thrown in my face.

Well Xenich one way they succeed in not bringing allah into the game is by giving you your spells automatically. Even putting them ALL on easily available merchants is too tedious for most players it seems. Another trick they do is making items which're dispersed all equally capable so it doesn't matter which one you use.. /sigh This is the future though. I hate to bring it all up, but it's like a tidal wave. Fortunately, Wurm Online itches my itch. I'm sure there're a couple others. I said a couple, not a million.

I really try not o hate players who want those things. It mostly succeeds because of games like Wurm Online. If I couldn't find an MMO to scratch it, I could do single player games or use mods, but that's not as social.

I'd like to say I'm too mature to get angry. I got angry plenty in the past. If someone's excuse for wanting less tedium is they work a lot or have family, I don't get angry; I understand. But what if that person has the time? Well, then I start to question motives and other things. Part of me understands that people want challenge, not just some legwork. But it's not solely leg work which makes these things attractive to me, it's the diversity. I also think ti's more immersive. I like to explore.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I'm perfect. I dfid a lot of allah surfing in my time ~2005 and after or so. I was just thinking "I never do that in single player games. I not only don't do that, it's a game killer." Seriously, walkthroughs are a game killer for me. I NEVER used them when playing Fallout or any of teh games I play. It's NOT fun. Why did I then use what's essentially awalkthrough in EQ? I think it boils down to competition. I did that to kep my hp/ac/atk/etc competitive. I was on a pvp server. But I did that on pve too because I wanted to be good. I wanted to be the b est ranger I could be, and using allah helped me to do that.

I played mostly on the pvpservers in eQ. Having high hp/ac/atk and resists was a big part of being competitive.

So maybe that helps explain it a little. But it's not by any means a full explanation. It doens't xplain why Ilove wurm Online so much. If I really wanted ALL information at my finger tips, I'd play a different game or I'd play it differently. I'd join a village, first. The way I play it is veyr non-competitive, given I play alone. And I don't live on the wiki as much as I should if I wantedo be the best.

I think it's a combination of me liking exploration and immersion, but my competiveness sometimes take priority. Still, competiveness doesn't solely define me. Nobody is solely defined by a single thing.

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Well Xenich one way they succeed in not bringing allah into the game is by giving you your spells automatically. Even putting them ALL on easily available merchants is too tedious for most players it seems. Another trick they do is making items which're dispersed all equally capable so it doesn't matter which one you use.. /sigh This is the future though. I hate to bring it all up, but it's like a raging tidal wave. Fortunately, Wurm Online itches my itch. I'm sure there're a couple others. I said a couple, not a million.

That goes back to the "convenience" arguments that slowly destroyed EQ. People kept complaining, and complaining and complaining, etc... and since Brad and co were gone, Smed was more than happy to keep feeding the mainstream mentality. Wurn Online looks interesting, but as the game it is, It wouldn't be an acceptable replacement for the MMORPG experience I seek, that EQ gave, that Pantheon will hopefully provide.

I really try not o hate players who want those things. It mostly succeeds because of games like Wurm Online. If I couldn't find an MMO to scratch it, I could do single player games or use mods, but that's not as social.
My extreme distaste for those players isn't their opposing opinions, it is their insistence that the games I like are antiquated junk that has been surpassed by a progression of better game style and design. It is not what they like that bothers me, it is the consistent appearance of their stupid asses in every MMO that is being developed while they throw tantrums, threaten, insult, and demand the game be turned into yet another WoW. Seriously, these idiots destroyed LoTRO. Things were doing awesome in Alpha and early beta. People who were in the game wanted what it was initially providing. There were disagreements, but everyone got along and could find balance because ultimately they all wanted the same thing. Then, open beta hit and the WoW crowd rushed in. The forums turned into the WoW forums with "PVP, where is the PVP, this game will fail without PvP, fookin Care bears!!!" and "WTF dis is da 2000's, wut we hav to read shit for?", "I play a game for my fun!", etc... etc.... IT was a nightmare, like I said... it was the WoW forums. Then... all the fucktards left soon after release. Too late though, Turbine was thinking they had the next WoW with all those idiots and so they started implementing a ton of changes. For instance, PVP wasn't even going to exist until the WoW crowd through tantrums (They added it mid beta). Point is, they ruined every game that came out and because they are narcissistic asses, they could not let any game come out without demanding it be like all the rest.

I'd like to say I'm too mature to get angry. I got angry plenty in the past. If someone's excuse for wanting less tedium is they work a lot or have family, I don't get angry; I understand. But what if that person has the time? Well, then I start to question motives and other things. Part of me understands that people want challenge, not just some legwork. But it's not solely leg work which makes these things attractive to me, it's the diversity. I also think ti's more immersive. I like to explore.

It bugs me at times, only because there is nothing out there I can find to replace what they destroyed. It isn't the end of the world though. When you see me get mean, it is when people act stupid (ie don't pay attention to the points I made, yet continue on) or devious (try to argue fallaciously). Aside from that, I am not "angry to be honest. I will say, I really don't like people who make stupid arguments. I blame society for them even existing as without the protections of society today, nature would have curbed them a long time ago.

Xenich

Cipher
I'm not saying I'm perfect. I dfid a lot of allah surfing in my time ~2005 and after or so. I was just thinking "I never do that in single player games. I not only don't do that, it's a game killer." Seriously, walkthroughs are a game killer for me. I NEVER used them when playing Fallout or any of teh games I play. It's NOT fun. Why did I then use what's essentially awalkthrough in EQ? I think it boils down to competition. I did that to kep my hp/ac/atk/etc competitive. I was on a pvp server. But I did that on pve too because I wanted to be good. I wanted to be the b est ranger I could be, and using allah helped me to do that.

I have looked on those sites in the past (for EQ), but it was usually after I had experienced and explored most of an area. For instance, I might use them to organize a raid for the guild. Showing them where to stand, where to move, etc... I might look up an item off a mob I had been killing a ton of times to see if anyone else had gotten anything different (rares, were RARE in EQ if you remember). Like I said, I just don't want that play being dictated (and no, the whole "well don't use the in game map, or don't wear that, or don't use that skill" is not a valid argument. If the features have made it that far into the game, then they start to dictate development practice (ie when you have map markers and quest arrows, quest text tends to start lacking directions because of it). I never felt a direct competition in EQ to be honest. I mean, other than maybe competing for a mob.

Now some people used guides and I would not penalize them in this case. If you remember EQ and quests, it was unforgiving with item hand ins. The quests were hard and vague at times. It really took a lot of work to find things out, so when you went to the quest NPC and missed a phrase, handed in an item and the NPC ate it, well... that isn't game play, that is a lacking in design. I had that happen to me with the monk epic and I lost a ton of hours of work because of a stupid chat progression step mess up. So I understand why some people went online for some things. EQ wasn't perfect, there was lots of room for improvement, such as not screwing someone over on a quest turn in. Those are things where there needed to be an improvement.

I played mostly on the pvpservers in eQ. Having high hp/ac/atk and resists was a big part of being competitive.
Never played on the PvP servers. I had just come from UO after having my toon scraped of all his gear because of a DOS attack (UO wasn't very secure and IP addresses could be easily obtained of other players) and I wasn't to keen on dealing with that again, especially since EQ was a new game style and attempt and wasn't designed to be a PvP focused game. The idea of dealing with all the headaches that would come with it just weren't appealing.

So maybe that helps explain it a little. But it's not by any means a full explanation. It doens't xplain why Ilove wurm Online so much. If I really wanted ALL information at my finger tips, I'd play a different game or I'd play it differently. I'd join a village, first. The way I play it is veyr non-competitive, given I play alone. And I don't live on the wiki as much as I should if I wantedo be the best.

I think it's a combination of me liking exploration and immersion, but my competiveness sometimes take priority. Still, competiveness doesn't solely define me. Nobody is solely defined by a single thing.

If I want to compete, I play a competition game (FPS, RTS, action fight game, football, pool, etc...) that is better fit specifically for such. Not everyone in the game is competing directly, which is why I think trying to in such a game is looking for easy mode. Like I said, when I want to compete, I will play a game where everyone is competing and knows I am as well.

Xenich

Cipher
Here is another interesting point I found about the difference between old school and mainstream mentalities to which I think is one of the biggest flaws in modern development of MMORPGs.

A mainstreamer made this comment (he is a mainstreamer because they always make these "antiquated" arguments to imply that leveling speeds need to be quicker).

From MMORPG.com

Poster A said:
A lot of years has passed since eq... but most important is that you changed a lot in all this years.

Problably now you have responsabilities like child, wife, work, idk.... I think slow leveling will be ok, but not as slow as eq1 because we will stop playing.

We need something that fit with our lives without draining lot of time. If you played vanguard you should now that there were a faster leveling than in eq and this is one of the reasons because it was a good game.

Poster B said:
I had posted in a similar discussion about this on the Pantheonrotf.com site a few months back. The game's progression doesn't need to change, it's just that your/my expectations of what can be/deserves to be accomplished in X amount of time has to change.

If you have less playing time than player A, you shouldn't obtain gear or experience at the same rate as someone playing at 8 hours a day versus 2 hours a day. That doesn't mean though that you couldn't obtain the same gear over a larger period of time, it's just going to take you 4 times as long. It's the expectation that I deserve to have everything that Player A has who never logs that has to change. There should be gear/player envy - it's another one of the social aspects of EQ that made it great - Player B is inspecting you....

I don't have the time to commit that I did in EQ anymore either, and that's ok, I won't be #1 in a hardcore guild with top-end gear like EQlaunch; however, unlike EQ, I will be able to enjoy the content more as I won't ever have that feeling of rushing to continually compete to be the best, and arguably, will have slowed down my pace to enjoy all of what Pantheon will have to offer more than I ever did in EQ.

TLDR: The game doesn't need to change, the expectations of what you deserve to accomplish in a limited amount of time has to change.

This is I think a very important point. Not to be harsh, but I can't help but to see the correlation between what he is describing and that of the entitlement personality of many today. That is, people think that because they lack time to play at a level of someone else, that it is only fair that they be made equal to their accomplishment. That is entitlement mentality and a very common trait among mainstream gamers.

Mainstreamers don't seem to understand that they progress basically at the same rate as the person who plays more. Asking that they progress at the pace of the person who plays more is absurd and entitled in thinking. I never understood this argument because I played EQ and I felt that the time I spent was always meaningful. The only time I had something to say about time available to play was when it concerned competitive raid targets. When raid mobs are on random spawns cycles of 7 days +/- 72 hours, the person who plays all the time will have a decided advantage as a person who works or has responsibilities won't be able to drop everything and rush off to the game (even so, I accepted that this would be my limitation). Aside from that, the "leveling speed" argument about someone who plays more is irreelvant. I progressed at the speed to which I was able to make time to play and it would be extremely arrogant and spoiled to think that the entire game should change to fit my individual demands that such progress be made faster.

also, Poster A makes the same mistake I see a lot make. They assume that those who played EQ back then were kids. My guild at the time was filled with working professionals who had families. We weren't kids with all the time on our hands. We understood what we would be able to achieve with the time we had. Seems these kids who grew up still haven't figured out how to manage their time.

As the poster above says:

"The game doesn't need to change, the expectations of what you deserve to accomplish in a limited amount of time has to change."

That is spot on and something main-stream players will not accept.

Last edited:
Xenich, I somewhat disagree. I'll try to explain...

Different games can require different amounts of time to play effectively. It's not too much to ask for some games to be playable competitively by someone who can only devote 30 minutes per day. This means the player who devotes 4 hours per day won't derive any obvious competitive advantage. This is ok. And similarly, it's very easy to call up some games and play them for 10 minutes and then quit. They're pick-up-and-play. EQ, by contrast, was very difficult to play that way, especially if you grouped.

Where I differ from you is I think if player A wants a game they can play very easily in 10 or 120 minute windows then FINE. There's nothing wrong with that. If the game has any competitive aspects and it restricts players to a very low standard, not allowing players who play more extensively to gain advantages, that's FINE. Besides, rewarding players who play 24/7 is kind of bad anyway - it's like giving an alcoholic all the beer they want. Ya, it's capitalist, and most of the blame does fall on the drinker, but.....

I just don't see anything wrong with gamers who want a quick and painless game to play. I, on the other hand, like the fact I can seriously fail in Wurm Online. I can lose what amounts to everything I own - except maybe my stats/skills - in PvP/raids.

It's like in life. Some people play it safe. They might do ok in life. Others take more risks. Some go so far they become thrill seekers. Now, thrill seekers are more like adrenaline junkies than go getters, but the point still stands: we're at least free to do what we want (within reason).

Freedom.

Now, if someone comes over to Wurm Online and wants to take away my fun because they demand the game be safer and more convenient for their tastes then I have a problem with that. Otherwise, I don't give a damn because I got a game I like to play

Last edited:

Xenich

Cipher
Xenich, I somewhat disagree. I'll try to explain...

Different games can require different amounts of time to play effectively. It's not too much to ask for some games to be playable competitively by someone who can only devote 30 minutes per day. This means the player who devotes 4 hours per day won't derive any obvious competitive advantage. This is ok. And similarly, it's very easy to call up some games and play them for 10 minutes and then quit. They're pick-up-and-play. EQ, by contrast, was very difficult to play that way, especially if you grouped.

Where I differ from you is I think if player A wants a game they can play very easily in 10 or 120 minute windows then FINE. There's nothing wrong with that. If the game has any competitive aspects and it restricts players to a very low standard, not allowing players who play more extensively to gain advantages, that's FINE. Besides, rewarding players who play 24/7 is kind of bad anyway - it's like giving an alcoholic all the beer they want. Ya, it's capitalist, and most of the blame does fall on the drinker, but.....

I just don't see anything wrong with gamers who want a quick and painless game to play. I, on the other hand, like the fact I can seriously fail in Wurm Online. I can lose what amounts to everything I own - except maybe my stats/skills - in PvP/raids.

It's like in life. Some people play it safe. They might do ok in life. Others take more risks. Some go so far they become thrill seekers. Now, thrill seekers are more like adrenaline junkies than go getters, but the point still stands: we're at least free to do what we want (within reason).

Freedom.

Now, if someone comes over to Wurm Online and wants to take away my fun because they demand the game be safer and more convenient for their tastes then I have a problem with that. Otherwise, I don't give a damn because I got a game I like to play

EDIT: Keep in mind there're tons of PVPers in Wurm Online who play more than me. If they wnated to, they could destroy my place. They have once or twice. They could probably find a way to hunt me down and get what I carry. I can only store 5 items in my bank, so they could evnetually find my junk. I lose skills if I die, so if they were persistent they could deplet my skils - although rather unlikely. And in EQ I didn't raid consistently until late 2009. I spent years and years only grouping casually - and soling the rst o the time. I maybe played 4-5 hours per day when I was active - longer on weekends. My point? Many playres in EQ could wipe the floor with me. I played onSullon Zek - no lvel limits. Kep in mind my charcter didn't get up to level 70 until 2007. So I was being killed by twinks as well as max level characters. They merged pvp servers in 2005, but I didn't play again actively until 2007. I still remember logging in and going to pok after it merged. AFter it merged, it was level-restricted pvp.

I started on Rallos though. I wanted something meaner which is why I created a char on Sullon.

Also I am right next to a PvE server in Wurm Online. I could have long ago progressed in PvE with no danger from other players and then come back to PvP and griefed to my satisfaction, but I chose to stay on the pvp server. I've seen a lot of players start on the pvp server and cry like babies and run off to the PvE. I LIKE the threat which is why I'm there. The overcoming is what's fun.

Oh and one more thing. It seems players always talk up the bad moments inpvp, espcially in pvp with no level limts. But you know what? A while back someone lockpicked my place on Wurm Online ad dropped some high quality saddles. If they wnated to, they could have looted everything or just bashed things. Ya bad things happen, but players aren't always griefers.

(keep in mind that this discussion is at it contains to this game and within the focus of what it is trying to achieve)

I understand what you mean, but this is why we don't make every game the same. I am not saying that it is bad for a game to be made that attends to this issue and tries to solve it in various ways that mainstream often does. That wasn't the point I was getting at. The point was that these people need to accept that not every game is going to cater to them, that the success and failure of a game is not a means of if they catered to mainstream or not. Like I said, I played EQ working many hours a week in very difficult work and being married as well. Most of my friends also were the same, yet we did fine in the game. Sure, we had to manage our time well and some elements of play were not always feasible ("I am only going to be on for a couple hours, lets go exp on here rather than there). You balanced what you could do within the time allotted.

I mentioned that competition is really in the mind of some people. In EQ, the competition was simply getting to a mob before another, getting to a raid boss before another. The raiding I accepted as "conditional" when I didn't have time. That is, I knew that we would have to accept what was up when we had the people on to do it. Same was with group mobs. The interesting thing is that EQ was designed in a way to facilitate this. There were many dungeons and zones accross multiple level ranges, so even if a dungeon was packed, or a zone was busy, you could always find something to do. That was the extent of the competition past personal envy competition and you don't cater to such or the game goes south really quick.

I liked EQs system to be honest. I liked things taking a while to do. I liked this because with time and effort a factor, skill and speed of organization can shine. The people I grouped with were like machines. Extremely skilled and cooperative. I could log into EQ with only a couple hours of time and in less than 15 mins have the druid round up the group and be at the dungeon breaking the camp. I grouped with some who took hours just to get off their arse. So part of this is a means of game play as well. The more skilled an organized you are, the better you will do in the game. Trust me, people realize these skills and they were highly sought after by other players. I never lacked a means to find a group or find something fun to do within whatever amount of time I had available.

Now... if you find yourself only having 20-45 mins at most available at any given time, well... time to either look for a new game or... get used to playing a class that may be able to solo some.

Really, there is nothing wrong with telling someone "This game is not for you".

As for PvP, sure... there are good people out there who PvP, but... it takes only 1 really bad occurrence to sour some people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom