Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
You guys should stop arguing about loot filters.

Because you all agree that they are necessary, yet your grasp of english language is bad enough so that each of you think that the other peson disagrees with you :P.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
You guys should stop arguing about loot filters.

Because you all agree that they are necessary, yet your grasp of english language is bad enough so that each of you think that the other peson disagrees with you :P.

We are not arguing about anything, calm down :D I'm just interested in knowing what would be the reason not to use filters in the first place, since he said that he did not use them until now. Maybe there are some reasonable disadvantages I dont know about.

T. Reich

Arcane
The only possible disadvantage I know is that a poorly-chosen (or, god forbid, self-written) item filter is both a sore for the eyes (like a pair of ill-fitting glasses) and it also obscures some things that may actually be valuable to you.

To this end, I, for example, have a bunch of personal micro-tweaks for Neversink's filter, because the default version displays some chancing bases that are not useful for me, and I also don't like that it hides the flasks on high-lvl maps.

Gerrard

Arcane
And what exactly is wrong with using lootfilters?
Nothing. What is wrong is the game having a retarded amounts of useless drops that make loot filters a nessecity.

Meh. They maybe useless for you but useful for someone else. Game don't make assumptions. Lootfilter is perfect solution imho.
What drops you want cut out completely?
90% of this?
24iCMEr.jpg

You want white items? Put them in the fucking vendors.

abija

Prophet
Loot filters are the perfect example of what a small company should do. The amount of time to integrate properly something like that in the UI is stupid, while ini files are fast to implement and allows the community to come with exhaustive versions.

AMG

Arbiter
White items are valuable once you get to the top tier maps. Some of them are also used for chancing uniques.
Due to how vendor system works in this game, fiddling with the amount of drops would interfere with recipes for chrome and jew orbs and such.

Veelq

Augur
White items are good for bases to craft or use chance orb to get some rare uniques. There are Magic Find filters, General filters, Crafting Base filters, Race filters, alot of white items have their use for different people. I agree on the fact that GGG should implement filters to their game, the same goes for trading stuff that is used as a p2w atm with those Premium Trading tabs in the cash shop.

Gerrard

Arcane
Nothing you say changes the fact that the drop rate of shitty items is too high, and people have been saying this since day 1 the game was out.
Also GGG said they will never make an in-game editor for the filters because it's too much work, so once again someone had to do it for them.

As for chancing uniques, don't tell me that farming for one particular item drop is faster than just going through all vendors.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
You don't just farm on particular white item for chancing. At the same time you farm character and gem exp, currency, maps, uniques and other good items.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Nothing you say changes the fact that the drop rate of shitty items is too high, and people have been saying this since day 1 the game was out.
Also GGG said they will never make an in-game editor for the filters because it's too much work, so once again someone had to do it for them.

As for chancing uniques, don't tell me that farming for one particular item drop is faster than just going through all vendors.
There is also the problem with how the game determins if a mob dropped something, and what rarity it was.

I believe it works this way: When you kill a mob, the game rolls if it dropped something. The chance for drop on a normal mob is somewhere around 16% according to the wiki. And only if anything was dropped, the game rolls for the rarity of the item. If you then cut the drop rate of items from mobs for example from 16% to 1.6%, then you would automatically get 10 times less rare items and unique items, which is not something you would probably want. The problem is only with white "useless" items.

So you would have to introduce some other change. Maybe something like roll if item dropped, then roll for rarity, and then if the rarity is lower than magic/rare, roll again if the white item is dropped at all, with a lowered chance. That should, in theory lead to the same number of magic/rare/unique items and less white items.

But then you have the already mentioned chrome recipie that would get significantly nerfed if the number of white items dropping was lowered.

The problem with going through vendors is that you have a limited number of vendors, one in each act, times 3 for difficulties, so at most 12 vendors that may or may not have the base item you want. And you cant restock their inventory for 24h, or until you level up, which is rare after level 90.
On the other hand, you can drop 12 leather belts in like 2 maps. And believe me, you will want way more leather belts to chance that headhunter.

The problem of too many items is most visible in maps, where you get increased item quantity, sometimes with 100+ value, and maybe increased pack size, or magic monsters, and you end up with screens full of items.

And you dont want to lower the Increased Item quantity, as it influences stuff like currency drops.

The solution GGG could do was either somehow decrease the number of white/blue items dropping, or create a way to hide them if a player do not want to see them. They decided to go with the hidding option.

And we didnt even mentioned the things like flasks, that drop only white/blue/Unique, so if you lowered the chance to drop of white/blue items, then you would kinda be starved for flasks, and keeping your flasks up to date is important. You could also introduce an exception. And some other exception for maps, and crafting bases over level 80, but then you would get close to what a lootfilter does, with the difference that a lootfilter hides items, and this would simply never drop those items. And out of the two, I like still having the items on the ground and not seeing them more than not having them at all.

White items needed for crafting.
They very useful then you play self found. And even if you don't play self-found 1 alch on white item with good base speedup gearing a lot.
Even worse sometimes you have to go full crafting route because nobody selling stuff you need...

Perkel

Arcane
yeah if you play POE and say white item are trash then you don't fucking know what you are talking about.

Even at start of the game white items are best way to get chromatics and quality orbs for armors and weapons + identification scrolls.
Then there are 20% items which directly convert into currency.

Then we have slots. At start they are not that important but later you scan almost every item to see slots because in case of 5 link or 6 link you are fucking rich with one white item. White item with 4 slots you need to make great combo is worth a lot more than rare item without those slots.

Then there is looking just base for your crafting. When i play i usually make my own weapons so i take white weapon with good slots i want then i belt it (+XX% to physical damage) and then improve it further. With few white items you can make awesome weapon which will give you proper boost to damage.

Andvanced use of white items is set making for higher currency. So using alchemy on white item you need to complete set that will give you regal etc. Or two identic rare items which will give you something else.

Finally if you care only about "AWESUM LUT" game literally marks down uniques that drop with both sound and FX so you don't even need to see rest of loot to see it . Same with 6 links.

Real crux here is question: Does game reward you with good loot in your playtrough. And answer to that is yes. You really need to be unlucky to finish first difficulty not getting some build type unique that will give you options.

Focusing on items instead of gold mostly fixed player economy and made it like D2 battle net economy which imo was most fun i had with those type of games. Especially that GGG does allow for legacy items in standard leagues which are real treat for people who play for looong looong time and want to show off people crazy builds including gear you can't get in any way other than trading with someone who has it.

Gerrard

Arcane
And as I already said you can put the fucking white items into vendor stores and not have them shit up the whole screen. Fuck you.

Real crux here is question: Does game reward you with good loot in your playtrough. And answer to that is yes. You really need to be unlucky to finish first difficulty not getting some build type unique that will give you options.
Yeah, no. I can count the number of times I got some non-generic unique on normal on one hand.

Focusing on items instead of gold mostly fixed player economy and made it like D2 battle net economy which imo was most fun i had with those type of games.
Oh, so you have autism. That explains a lot.

E: also, another day, another server failure. Buy more supporter packs.
E2: actually, that's apparently the second one today.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And as have been said already you can hide the fucking white items using loot filters and not have them shit up the whole screen. Fuck you.

Perkel

Arcane
And as have been said already you can hide the fucking white items using loot filters and not have them shit up the whole screen. Fuck you.

But then he will complain that he can't get chromatics or good crafting items muh game is bad BAAAD

Aothan

Magister
any ideas with the Frostbreath (double damage for chilled enemies), I just 'discovered' the synergy between Arctic Armour and said unique, but was wondering if there are any other methods to combine abilities. I might try using Cold Snap, Elemental Proliferation and Increased Duration (or Hypothermia/Ice Bite), does Frozen include Chilled as a status. I'm also trying to think if there are any specific item synergies so that what transfers through the weapon multiplies the effect (and I just realised I don't need the skill gems placed in the unique..I'm thinking of Nycta's Lantern)

T. Reich

Arcane
Imo, Frostbreath is not really viable as an endgame weapon since both its base aps and dps blow (being only a lvlreq50 base item, and one of the worst item bases at that lvlreq doesn't help a bit). It's a 150-160 dps weapon pre-buff, ugh. Barely enough for cruel.

Consider these options though, if you are so inclined:
* Stack flat phys damage on gear -> use Hatred aura to stack extra cold damage so as to increase chill chance and duration -> use Soultaker in offhand to make your phys damage chill as well... Then realise that Soultaker's base damage is basically the same as Frostbreath's WITH its gimmicky bonus, AND it scales so much better with any flat added damage as well.
* You must use hypothermia support gem for sure.
* cwdt(lvl1) + arctic breath + gmp + pierce = half the screen gets covered in chilling ground as soon as you get hit.
* Go for that duelist ascendancy class that grants auto melee splash for any single target melee attack -> use glacial hammer as your main attack skill = good base damage, extra freeze and chill, culls the frozen trash mobs real gud.

Perkel

Arcane
Just saw new currency stash tab.... damn. That is good way to monetize their game.

But for god sakes when will GGG inplement skin texture change ? I mean this is like obvious go to monetization scheme which i would actually spend money for (nothing more than 5$ though) to actually make my char bit different.

Similar situation with character portraits.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Just saw new currency stash tab.... damn. That is good way to monetize their game.

But for god sakes when will GGG inplement skin texture change ? I mean this is like obvious go to monetization scheme which i would actually spend money for (nothing more than 5$ though) to actually make my char bit different.

Similar situation with character portraits.
Be honest, you want to play a black witch or something like it!

Which would be fine, and hilarious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom