Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also if you are going armor route get Molten Shell, it is a nice way to get more armor boost and fire retaliation.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Lamer question time - I'm Ranger and want to do missions for Tora, Master of the Hunt. Are their missions "daily" or can just log off and on (with some pause to map reset)?
Is there easier way to find them on the maps? Found someone on Steam forum saying "press Alt on exit outside of town to find them easier" but either it's bait or cut feature or I don't get that one.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
You can bring them to your hideout and they'll give you a daily mission that gives you a bigger reputation reward.

As for finding them on the levels, it's totally random. Never heard the ALT thing but sounds like bullshit tbh.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
At one time ALT was the key that highlighted objects for me, before I turned that permanently on. It helped finding stuff on the screen at first.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Time for another Status report from me :D

I got all the life leech passives and Vaal Pact, did Merc Lab solo and it wasn't hard (unlike with my Ice Nova Witch where I died twice to Izaro and then did it with another person). I got almost all offensive passives I want (except for 3 that should give me 100% more crit chance and 2 to get another Frenzy Charge). Now I can focus on getting more life (I am at around 2900 now) through passives after I upgraded my life on equipment on almost everything except for Hat and one ring. I got a 5L armor and got lucky with prophecy and got the 5L prophecy so I 5L my Windripper as well (I put Blink+Faster Attacks+Blind+Ice Golem + Minion Life into it). I could have sold it for 34-35C instead but I almost got all the gear I need so I don't really need that much C and I don't plan to play long enough to get to lvl 90+ and go fight Uber Atziri or Shaper so I don't need to gather enough resources to get UBER gear.

The result of all of this is that I can now facetank some enemies I could not before due to my evasion/dodge/vaal grace/life leech.
Next step is to test out my Blood Rage plan of getting Frenzy charges and Curse for getting PCs and then get more damage by using Improved Critical damage support in my 5L (except I now one shot most normal mobs so I got nobody to put curses on :D). Another option would be to remove Weapon Elemental Damage and then use both Power Charge on Critical and Increased Critical Damage.

Considering I got Deadeye Ascendancy so I do 30% more damage when enemies are far from me I like to shoot and follow my arrows, this often ends with enemies dying off screen. There is a certain level of satisfaction in this :D

EDIT: Oh and I mostly focused on getting additional Ice and Lightning damage from gear and I dont' have Herald of Ash (as it does not work with my build) so 1/3 of my hits (when Ele hit rolls fire damage) are weaker than the rest.

EDIT 2: Is there a single target 4L setup I could use with this build that I could use vs map bosses or especially tough unique or rares? (except the obvious one of removing LMP from the setup :D)

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Lamer question time - I'm Ranger and want to do missions for Tora, Master of the Hunt. Are their missions "daily" or can just log off and on (with some pause to map reset)?
Is there easier way to find them on the maps? Found someone on Steam forum saying "press Alt on exit outside of town to find them easier" but either it's bait or cut feature or I don't get that one.
When you get her to level 2, you can invite her to your hideout. When in your hideout, she will give you one daily mission, that gives 2 times (?) the reputation. It resets at 2:00 am potato time.

There is no way of increasing the chance to meet her (or any other master) in any of the zones. (Well, other than a prophercy that guarantees either a specific master to appear or any master).

So you just play, do her missions, invite her to your hideout at level 2, get her crafting bench, do her daily missions and continue to do her missions when you meet her in the wild. You will quickly get her to level 5, then a bit slower to level 6, where most of the good crafting appears.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The thing is - hideout invitation comes at lvl3, I have her at lvl2 and it does not appear (other masters - more common - are on lvl3 and have invitation).
Well, seems like I need to run around the forest...

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The thing is - hideout invitation comes at lvl3, I have her at lvl2 and it does not appear (other masters - more common - are on lvl3 and have invitation).
Well, seems like I need to run around the forest...
Well, fuck, I probably got that wrong. Getting to level 3 is rather quick when you are in higher level zones, so level 2 and 3 are close together.

Also, there is no benefit in running around a specific zone for specific master, any master can spawn in any zone with the same probability. So just play the game further and she will appear.

Padre

Liturgist
To clarify.

You can create a hideout at lvl 3. You can invite at lvl 2

The ALT trick - I think someone meant CTRL left click to spawn another zone. A few patches ago it was possible to detect a master in various zones by observing latency spike during zone creation. I dont think its possible nowadays with so much random shit spawning in maps

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They might also have somehow gimped the generation of things when you spawn a new zone; I noticed that you can't spam new zones to get an essence to appear nearby the entrance point, for example. While that's an obvious move for anything useful of that nature (especially anything that shows on a minimap) they could have also done it across the whole zone in case people have ways of detecting what is in a zone before they run it. Would be easier than trying to actually catch people cheating that way.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finally got her, but she spawn with her back to the mountain, and everytime I start daily mission she noclip a pixel or two into mountain and open portal. I can't access it.
FFS

Nim

Augur
You can move masters, that will move her portal too. Hit Edit, leftclick on master and drag where you want her.

To this day I've never successfully made a good bow build. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a good bow drop, period.

Are there any cheap, easy bow builds that would work for this new league?

Helton

Arcane
Not sure if you would count it as a bow build but this (Siege Ballista) is the last build I ran and it was pretty fun. He gives really good recommendations on levelling gear as well, which was reasonably priced.

But I love totems. If you wanted a more active, direct bow build it would not satisfy.

miles teg

Scholar
I'm playing my first ranger, still at normal but the gameplay seems very similar to the witch's: spam your current aoe attack and don't get surrounded. Not sure I'll continue, I might want to go back to my lightning witch soon.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That sums up pretty much every character in poe, :lol:

Well, I'd divide the playstyles broadly like this:

Momentum dependant builds, like Flicker Strike or Animate Weapon. No time to pick up all the little shit, can't stop to trade until you finish a map/area. Also you have a very sharp drop off in effectiveness once you go past your comfort zone. All that said, the pace feels nice and you do utterly destroy the stuff you can handle. Probably a lot less effective this league between the essences and a bunch of the new bosses being insanely tanky or drawn out fights.

Point blank builds, where you actually do want to get surrounded to some extent. Somewhat risky for that reason but generally you get the best payoffs here in terms of raw damage. Stuff like vortex, blade vortex, mine based builds, a bunch of short range melee skills. Makes it quicker to grab loot as well, since you're already there when it drops.

Long range builds, basically like you described. Keep your distance, never get surrounded, kill shit from off screen if possible. Tends to be slower but a lot safer, obviously. Suffers a lot from things like the essences/strongboxes or certain boss fights. Though there are tricks for that, like using phase run or decoy totem.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That sums up pretty much every character in poe, :lol:

Well, I'd divide the playstyles broadly like this:

Momentum dependant builds, like Flicker Strike or Animate Weapon. No time to pick up all the little shit, can't stop to trade until you finish a map/area. Also you have a very sharp drop off in effectiveness once you go past your comfort zone. All that said, the pace feels nice and you do utterly destroy the stuff you can handle. Probably a lot less effective this league between the essences and a bunch of the new bosses being insanely tanky or drawn out fights.

Point blank builds, where you actually do want to get surrounded to some extent. Somewhat risky for that reason but generally you get the best payoffs here in terms of raw damage. Stuff like vortex, blade vortex, mine based builds, a bunch of short range melee skills. Makes it quicker to grab loot as well, since you're already there when it drops.

Long range builds, basically like you described. Keep your distance, never get surrounded, kill shit from off screen if possible. Tends to be slower but a lot safer, obviously. Suffers a lot from things like the essences/strongboxes or certain boss fights. Though there are tricks for that, like using phase run or decoy totem.
There are also totem and summoner builds where you just run around and avoid enemy attacks while your mob kills stuff.

Helton

Arcane
So I feel like my build is really hitting a stride now. I'm level 74, here is the the current skill distribution. I went ahead an picked up that second curse node near Witch and I have Flammability hooked up with a Curse on Hit gem on Freezing Pulse with Greater Multiple Projectiles. It works great. I have a 20% qual freezing pulse so the projectiles are almost instant and reach beyond edge of screen. Flammability really improves the dps, too. Because not only does the lowered enemy resist help dps directly, but my ascendancy has a nice damage boost against ignited enemies. Dried Lake in Act 4 is under my level now so maybe it isn't a good gauge, but I cut through normal mobs there really fast. Stopping to collect loot, uniques, and high level essence mobs only thing that slows me down atm.

Defences have improved considerably. I have a Lioneye's Remorse tower shield and am currently collecting the shield nodes near Templar start. In town I have 9557 armor which predicts 56% physical damage reduction at my level. My resists are between 50 and 65 in town. But in the field I almost always have 8 Endurance charges up which boosts my ele resists all to 75% and my estimated physical reduction to ~80%. I have two of these and a significant amount of life regen from the tree. With charges up I have just over 20% life regen. Chaos resist is right about 0%. I think the extra ele resist from shield nodes should free up my gear for more life + chaos resist. Current life is 3355. Skill points are drying up but most of the remaining ones will go to life nodes. I'm in good position to collect quite a few.

In terms of less implicit defences, I really like the Temporal Chains + Blasphemy and the next major goal is to get 20% qual gems of each for better effect. I think I will also pick up skittering runes to make this still better. Slowing enemies down by ~50% is a huge defense in and of itself. Helps with my lag issues a lot also. I decided against Immortal Call. I get too much from the Endurance Charges I think compared to sacrificing them. Currently I have Arctic Breath on CwDT (with Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Fork), but it doesn't trigger very often and I'm unimpressed with how long the chill effect lasts. I plan for a CwDT + KnockBack + Frost Wall. And another CwDT + Phase Run. Eventually.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is this a HC build? Because it is not, I think you overdid it with defense.

EDIT: OK I went to your previous posts and you are not playing HC. The point of Totem builds is that you don't need to tank anything. Your totems both tank and deal damage. So remove the extra armor nodes and you don't even need endurance charges nodes. And get Searing Bond. It is a free extra totem when you pluck down and you run around it gives you free fire damage.

As for applying curses, don't waste that on non fire totem. Get low level CwDT, add low level spell (like Ball Lightning) and then attack Curse on Hit and curse you want. Or get Elemental Overload keystone, get Orb of Storms, attach Curse on Hit with it (and Increased AoE) and use that to both get Elemental Overload to activate and to apply the curse.

EDIT2: Ok you cannot cast spells due to 2 totems keystone. Then Blasphemy is best choice.

Last edited:

Padre

Liturgist
Zdzisiu, Blondie and me have been hitting maps recently. We've even done map Argus last night. Although 'done' is a simplification. Zdzisiu did him while Blondie's pc exploded because of missile spam on screen. I ran around like a little girl and tried not to die.

I have noticed that enemies affected by 'can't be killed' mod cause severe server lag. Especially noticeable when fighting Pennisula boss. Once he summons his immortal adds the server just goes NOPE.

Every flame sentinel fires 7 fireballs that fork. Cast speed is like 3-5 fireballs a second. And I have 4 of them. Plus 50 skulls. Can't even see the mobs anymore but the clear speed is great.

Was even thinking, since flame sentinels do their carpet bombing, maybe I should drop melee splash on srs and add melee physical or empower to the mix?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been researching builds for Mjölner but it seems compared to Mjölner Discharge one anything else will pale in comparison. It is incredible how people find synergy between unique items (and Ascendancy class abilities) to create OP builds. These Unique dependant builds make "regular" builds useless and kill most of the creativity for anyone else...

ArchAngel

Arcane
As I have been researching my next build I found out that Hierophant ascendancy from Templar has ability where you can have up to two additional totems with no penalty (well a bit of damage penalty but that is not much). Seems like a much better choice for a totem user than going Ancestral Bond. Or you can take both and have 4 totems (5 with searing bond skill :D)

Padre

Liturgist
You forgot Soul Mantle.

So it's 2 from Ancestral Bond. 2 from Hierophant. 1 Soul Mantle. 1 searing bond. Total of six totem at once.

At that count, penalty is -48% less damage. Not really worth it. Although area coverage would be huge. I think this skill received a buff last patch. The penalty was bigger in 2.2

Radech

Augur
Might work well with how flameblast totems work now(cast at max stacks), the damage is already sufficient, and you can overlap it on bosses, so unless you're going pizzablast(chaos conversion + poison) or ignite focused, the less damage isn't going to be that much of an issue. But hierophant totems are definitely more of a niche option than ancestral bond(and you don't want the damage penalty for a searing bond totem)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom