Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Mayhem is fucking rough. Start of the race was pretty hard, died a couple of times trying to be fast instead of killing some of the exiles for loot. Merciless Exiles are no joke, spent 150 alts on rolling a warding flask, no luck... Guess all my good RNG went into the Tabula I found in act2 normal.

Some interactions are kinda stupid though. Daily-missions/extra areas like Toras/Hakus missions are also mayhem-modded, walked into an elreon mission with 20 tormented spirits. Guess I was lucky though, friend of mine finished cruel lab only to find 20 invaders in the ascendancy room which ripped him instantly.

Varvarg

Educated
Would you guys run Vaal pack on a life based Flicker Trickster?

Yes, but I wouldn't do a life based one. So, so squishy. When you are sitting there with 5k life and can't get past tier 9 maps, you will thank me.

A hybrid maybe, but then I would skip vaal pact, and instead go for decreased ES cooldown and some evasion. Trickster is very strong on these fields.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
gNTO1J3.jpg

qg91whak2q5z.jpg

In case you were wondering what this actually looks like...

https://gfycat.com/ScrawnyJointGuineafowl

Sykar

Arcane
Since there are some much more knowledgable players around here I'd like to ask some more questions.
My main is a LL/Shav(4L)/Consuming Dark ED Occultist at level 83. I have seen others running ZO on their ED characters which is a bit confusing to me since ED according to what I have been told does not work with ZO. Why bother with the little regeneration from ZO when you get quite a bit more from Occultist's Wicked Ward and Vile Bastion?

Furthermore I have a severe lack of fire resists which are only 45%. Outside of ruby flasks what other easy sources for fire resists?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Outside of ruby flasks what other easy sources for fire resists?
Mastercrafting. You should not however need master-crafts for just getting 75% res in merciless. Mastercrafting resistances should be reserved for overcapping you in such a way that you are still capped in red Elemental Weakness maps. That would be 169% resistance for each type (excluding chaos). Technically monsters can curse you with flammability/conductivity/frostbite which reduces your resistances by another 40%, but that's what you have a "of warding" flask for.
Try to buy some items that cover your missing resistances, ruby rings with allres+fire res can give you 70+ fireres on a single slot. As long as you don't care much about the remaining stats this shouldn't be a big deal. Drop Life/ES in favor of resistances, having capped resistances is a must-have.

since ED according to what I have been told does not work with ZO
This is false information. ED grants life-regeneration, not leech, which is why it works with ZO but not with Ghost Reaver.

Varvarg

Educated
most of the races aren't very fun. it's like service to a select few people that like to pull their hairs.

Headhunter: fun on paper, not so fun when you get blown up by volatiles on beach
rogue exiles/invasion everywhere: run into xandro, run away from xandro, run into another xandro. die.
mayhem: run into a rhoa with 10 ghosts. die.

Yeah, no. If i want pain i stab myself with a fork.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Races are fun if you play the game a lot and want to get pulled out of your comfort zone. Races like BLAMT, Exiles everywhere, Ruckus or Mayhem are all very different to the normal experience, which require you to build your character differently, think about other ways to safely progress through the game and eventually have a build that can farm the highest content even with those mods activated. It's not for everyone, but I personally very much enjoy races like Descent or the aforementioned difficulty-spiked races simply for that very reason.

Varvarg

Educated
Descent it pretty fun, i'll give you that. That mini rouge-like feel :obviously:

The rest is a bit too random for my taste.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's pretty great with The Surrender or Aegis Aurora. Unfortunately most block-builds are generally better of being played as a necro, since it's a lot easier to cap block if you can just use bone offering, especially after the nerf to Rumis. You save a shitload of passive nodes as necro, and for max spell-block you can just use Stone of Lazhwar, Rainbowstride or any number of Reckless Defense jewels.

Gladiator works best for Aegis Aurora builds.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1647240/page/1

pretty good build. guide/discussion should cover everything you need.

i played another block build half a year ago and if you get solid life and clearspeed, its really comfortable to play

i got me all the gear this league to play a max block gladiator once 3.0 hits and i dont have to grind the same acts 3 times.

Bringer of Rain, The Anvil and Surrender shield (or Lioneyes Remorse if you are poor) along with The Red Nightmare provide a lot of block already, you dont even need many nodes on the tree

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yeah definitely if you are interested in this build for the next 2 weeks or standard, pick up a relic Anvil, which are very cheap.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
I don't understand people who play PoE and use pre-made builds.
It is like you want to made home-made pizza by buying yourself frozen one.

Most of the fun for me is trying out what i can make and figure out what can i make from stuff i found.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Most of the fun for me is trying out what i can make and figure out what can i make from stuff i found.
Some people just don't feel knowledgeable enough to create a build that will be able to tackle the endgame. And for many people, doing the absolute endgame, like Guardians, Shaper, Uber etc is the goal, so they take a build that was tested by somebody.

Using your cooking analogy, it is more like following a recipe for a pizza that you know will be at least decent to good.

There are other people who enjoy doing build on their own, figuring out what works and what doesn't work and why, those are the people who don't use build guides.

There are also the people who use build guides as a pointer in the right direction and cool tips rather than following them religiously.

There are also the crazy people who take the most shitty of skills and try to make them work for a challenge.

You could think about it as the different approaches people have to building from Lego bricks. Some people just follow the instructions, get a model, play with it and then put it on the shelf, others pull the bricks from several sets and create something new, interesting and unique.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It just depends on your goal, Perkel. If I want to push for something specific, which I often do, I will use someone else's build as a base. Other times I fucked around with shit or spend too much time on accomplishing nothing in a skill tree emulator then played that

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Some people just don't feel knowledgeable enough to create a build that will be able to tackle the endgame. And for many people, doing the absolute endgame, like Guardians, Shaper, Uber etc is the goal, so they take a build that was tested by somebody.

Using your cooking analogy, it is more like following a recipe for a pizza that you know will be at least decent to good.

There are other people who enjoy doing build on their own, figuring out what works and what doesn't work and why, those are the people who don't use build guides. --- ME For a long time

There are also the people who use build guides as a pointer in the right direction and cool tips rather than following them religiously. --- ME now

There are also the crazy people who take the most shitty of skills and try to make them work for a challenge. -- I tried the Elemental Hit Archer last year and I am now trying a Vigilant Strike Igniter :)

You could think about it as the different approaches people have to building from Lego bricks. Some people just follow the instructions, get a model, play with it and then put it on the shelf, others pull the bricks from several sets and create something new, interesting and unique.
Added my comments :D

T. Reich

Arcane
most of the races aren't very fun. it's like service to a select few people that like to pull their hairs.

Headhunter: fun on paper, not so fun when you get blown up by volatiles on beach
rogue exiles/invasion everywhere: run into xandro, run away from xandro, run into another xandro. die.
mayhem: run into a rhoa with 10 ghosts. die.

Yeah, no. If i want pain i stab myself with a fork.

All these "a lot of X" type races are only really difficult in the first few locations. You have to go really slow and careful at first.
Then, once you looted yourself a nice full rare+unique set of gear (takes like 15 mins of careful play) and overleveled yourself on the phat exp rewards from all that plentiful shit, you can pretty much steamroll the rest of that race unimpeded, as long as you don't get too overconfident.
Most of the 2W Mayhem rips I've seen so far have been the result of people getting cocky and jumping in the fight when they really should've noped the fuck out instead.

The only truly punishing race is BLAMT because there are no "breather" spots, it really is out to get you at all times.

I've played the 2W Mayhem (non-HC) race this weekend, to try a couple of things out (and to maybe get some MTX from reaching lvl50).
I've died like 10 times, most of them were in the fucking coast trying to rush WP by the tidal island through the hordes of invades on the naked lvl1 char.
By the time I successfully made it to WP, I was lvl4 and decked out in all rare gear.
I died a couple more times in the tidal island because Hailrake had 6-7 tough invader buddies near him as well.
By the time I completed the medicine chest quest, I was lvl5-6 with at least 40 all ele res and good deal of life+es from gear.
After that, it was a cakewalk through the rest of the game.
I decided to go SRS summoner, and after lvl24 (got several summoner leveling uniques) I tore through any content easily.
Had my own share of invaders in the normal Izaro treasure room, laughed at them as they died.
Had the fastest normal Malachai kill yet.

ArchAngel

Arcane

And they are buffing ED in next beta patch
:hmmm:
But they are nerfing Decay that was only way to play a good Caustic Arrow like build...

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Most of the 2W Mayhem rips I've seen so far have been the result of people getting cocky and jumping in the fight when they really should've noped the fuck out instead.
That's pretty much every HC RIP in every league though. Most of my own RIPs have been from situations that I shouldn't have put myself in.

I agree though, mayhem does slow down until you hit maps again, up until then you generally are geared well enough thanks to the insane amount of loot and currency you get. Mapping with mayhem does get sketchy fairly often, exiles/invaders in tight spaces can tear you apart, almost RIPed 4 times in a single map yesterday due to facing 4 Chaskas, 3 Cintiqs and a couple of Nighteaters. Thinking about switching to Kaoms Roots because most of the near-death scenarios have been thanks to Bear-Traps/Vaal Rain of Arrows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom