Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Is it possible to farm Orbs of Regret somehere/somehow?
There is no way to specifically farm one kind of orbs.

But what you can do, is just farm dried lake with a fast clearing build. There is no drop penalty and you will clear it very fast.

Remember that you can get a fair amount (20+) regret points by doing the side quest in every difficulty.

You can also buy them from Yeena (act 2) 1 regret for 2 scours. Or you can buy them from Level 6 Leo, 40 regrets for 64 Scours. Those are not good rates if you are willing to trade with other players, but if you want to go solo, and have spare scours, thats a way to get regrets.

Also, remember that with 3.0, there will most certainly be a full respec for all characters, probably optional. So you can wait till 3.0 hits and remake the character then.

Sykar

Arcane
There is no way to specifically farm one kind of orbs.

But what you can do, is just farm dried lake with a fast clearing build. There is no drop penalty and you will clear it very fast.

Remember that you can get a fair amount (20+) regret points by doing the side quest in every difficulty.

You can also buy them from Yeena (act 2) 1 regret for 2 scours. Or you can buy them from Level 6 Leo, 40 regrets for 64 Scours. Those are not good rates if you are willing to trade with other players, but if you want to go solo, and have spare scours, thats a way to get regrets.

Also, remember that with 3.0, there will most certainly be a full respec for all characters, probably optional. So you can wait till 3.0 hits and remake the character then.

It is just a bit annoying having so many wasted points from my previous build. Ice Storm/CwC/Scorching Ray is one of the most fun build I have played in PoE alongside Essence Drain.

baturinsky

Arcane
Ice Storm/CwC/Scorching Ray is exactly what I'm playing now too. It has couple of drawbacks, though - takes some time to rev up to top DPS (especially problematic when you rely on leech from it to survive), and obscures ground, making fights like Malachai ones very annoying.

Last edited:

Veelq

Augur
Scorching Ray is more of a beta meta because it got buffed in combination with Righteous Fire and both of them didn't relay on double-dip.
Race is based on 2.6 so i think its better to focus on anything with double-dip while you can ;)
2. Summoner ecromanser. Even slower. Skeletons/zombies have very little means of clod clearing.
Maybe try SRS, its pretty good clear, viable even for SSF and way better for lvling as summoner. All you need is a +2 staff with cast speed and you are good to go. The Baron version is popular atm ( using the unique Baron helmet and stacking STR for minion phys melee dmg )

Veelq

Augur
What's "+2"? +2 to gem levels?
Yes, in this scenario its +2 to fire gems because Summon Raging Spirits is a fire gem. Ofc +3 ( +2 fire and +1 to all ) is a better version but way harder to obtain. +2 you can roll on any staff with at least item lvl 55 with some alterations / augs.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Yes. The Chance Orb vendor recipe (4 items, different rarity, same base type) gives 5 chance orbs, which you can trade to Catarina 96 chance orbs for 30 scourge orbs -> 15 regrets. This is also how I've been liquidating the uniques in the guild stash into chance and chaos orbs except someone sold all the rares I had been stockpiling for some reason.

Basically if you can convert any unique that sells for < 1 alc into 5 chance orbs, you can sometimes trade 5 chance orbs for 1 chaos, or at worst 15 regrets to 15-20 chaos.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Is anyone here even going to play that Turmoil thing?
Nope. Didn't play mayhem, and I don't plan on playing a less hectic version of it, even if this time it will be non-void. I don't really feel like grinding for anything for standard, so the non-void aspect doesn't interest me.

Varvarg

Educated
turmoil: will finally try out a voltaxix pathfinder for that poison goodness. I hear its still guud.

Who knows, it might even survive the poison nerf, since its converted damage.

I'm not sure how projectile damage is counted though. Anyone know? The elemental damage increases will also boost chaos, that much is clear.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Projectile damage will increase all of your damage. The basedamge of the hit will be increased, aswell as the damage of the ailments (in your case poison) caused by the hit. Thus projectile damage is superior to elemental damage increases for voltaxic rift since it double-dips onto the poison, whereas elemental damage will not.

Varvarg

Educated
Indeed, shit's pretty OP currently.

I played around in PAth of Building some, and for 3.0 it seems projectile damage won't affect poison damage at all, even for voltaxic, even though it still increases chaos damage. Seems a bit unintuitive. The projectile damage calculation comes after poison.

Elemental damage still works for poison initial hit.

But now i noticed they nerfed pathfinder chance to poison to 60%. Lol! So I guess I will go for toxic delivery with assassin, or just a raider and scale via frenzy charges. We have the snakebite gloves for poisoning, and assassin can use pacifism jewels

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Seems a bit unintuitive.
Not really, you're just not used to it. To me it never made sense that Area of Effect or Projectile Damage increased the damage of poison/ignite. Its a damage over time effect on an enemy, its not a projectile or an area ability so why does it double-dip again?

Sykar

Arcane
Projectile damage will increase all of your damage. The basedamge of the hit will be increased, aswell as the damage of the ailments (in your case poison) caused by the hit. Thus projectile damage is superior to elemental damage increases for voltaxic rift since it double-dips onto the poison, whereas elemental damage will not.

Does this apply to Essence Drain as well?

T. Reich

Arcane
Eh, who the fuck cares about some "common sense" or "intuitive" when the game meachanica are concerned? It's all applying the game's logic and going from there.

When the devs announced the change in dot damage calculation mechanics towards what's currently known as "double-dipping", they offered a very simple in-game logic:
* anything that can scale the damage of the skill that delivers dot, can scale dot from that skill, with a few "exceptions" (or, rather, logical exclusions)
* dot can't be scaled by weapon-related mods because they scale weapon damage only
* dot can't be scaled by attack/spell/melee damage mods because dot is neither of those things
* dot can be additionally scaled by dot-specific mods that do not apply to hits (currenty: damage over time, burning damage, poison damage)

It's extremely simple really. All you have to do is to look at the damage modifier's text and ask yourself: does it refer to weapon type/weapons in general/attacks/spells? If no - then it applies to dot. Easy as that.

The upcoming system in 3.0.0 is quite a bit more complicated, but it deals away with double-dipping.
The new system will have separate bae damage values for the hit damage and dot of any skill.
These base damage values will each get modified by a somewhat stricter (than now) set of damage mods.
The trickier part now is learning the new set of restrictions as to what mods can be applied where.

Does this apply to Essence Drain as well?
Here's a good question to provide an example.
Is ED a projectile? Yes. Proj dmg will apply to the hit damage of ED.
Is projectile damage only related to weapons? No. Only to attacks? No. Only to spells? No.
That means that projectile damage will also increase ED's dot, as well as poison damage dealt with ED if you had a source of poison on hit that applied to ED.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
PoB for 2.6 shows WED support double dipping for ignite. Now sure that above post is really correct.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom