Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline PC Gamer: We're in an FPS golden age

the_shadow

Arcane
Obligatory:

The first part was on point, but the video after "what the hell happened" was a bit dishonest, since most people who play Quake, especially the first time, don't do any of this shit with that kind of speed and finesse.

Well, it depends what message he intends to convey. I agree that it's not how your average gamer would play Quake, I know I'm nowhere near that skilled at *any* FPS. But the fact that it's possible to play Quake in such a fast paced manner if you've mastered it is pretty impressive.

Kitchen Utensil

Obligatory:

No one here can play quake this way and neither can your average single player fag.

That's pretty much the only way to play Quake. Everyone who plays Quake somewhat seriously will sooner or later master the movement (or give up pretty soon). There's a (Q3) mod, defrag, which was quite popular, which focused solely on mastering movement, trickjumping and speedrunning. If you don't play Quake like that, you're playing it wrong.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Obligatory:

No one here can play quake this way and neither can your average single player fag.

That's pretty much the only way to play Quake. Everyone who plays Quake somewhat seriously will sooner or later master the movement (or give up pretty soon). There's a (Q3) mod, defrag, which was quite popular, which focused solely on mastering movement, trickjumping and speedrunning. If you don't play Quake like that, you're playing it wrong.

Yeah, but we're not talking about people who are playing it seriously. I tend to see the same shit when people bring up the original DOOM: yeah, it's fantastic how fast and crazy it can get, but the beauty of the game was that it worked as well as a more atmospheric actiony dungeon crawler, especially back in the day. It's how every kewl video about Ytube always focuses on the WOW FUCKING AWESOME VIOLENCE SHOOT THOSE FUCKERS aspect of doom which seems to be the impression that nuDOOM was made with in mind as well, and we can clearly see it's not quite the game DOOM was.

Kitchen Utensil

Yeah, good skill-based fps are dead because people can't be arsed to git gud. And it's not even that bad, because there's really not much to improve upon in games like Quake 3. Just sad that there are no players anymore. Nowadays we have shit like Overwatch and Quake Champions. Golden age my ass.

thesoup

Arcane
M80 i just lol when someone tells me about their favorite unreal tournament while they don't even know you can dodge, let alone other crazy shit in the later games.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Obligatory:

The levels weren't designed to be played like that.

Rocket jumping works in multiplayer because everyone can use it, but it really breaks the singleplayer campaign.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Article shills for modern shooters and ignores the one that is actually good: Insurgency. Wow.

sullynathan

Arcane
Article shills for modern shooters and ignores the one that is actually good: Insurgency. Wow.
I have a 12 year old brother that plays the shit out of this game and I can't find the appeal of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom