Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pewdiepie

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
At least he's not begging for money all the time and sometimes he's funny unlike Angry Joe.

IU3IM5I.jpg

lol nope Angry Joe is pretty good in fact

pippin

You're talking about two separate phenomena here.

1) The "Angry Reviewer" phenomenon, of which AVGN was among the first. (I am not sure if he was THE first)
2) The LP phenomenon, which is often neither angry nor a review.

That makes sence. Never really separated cool guys like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic from all other reviewers and even LP. Come to think of it, those are totally different genres indeed. Thanks for clearing that up.

AVGN's popularity opened a window for the gaming community. Even if he wasn't directly responsible for inspiring LP people to do stuff, I'd say he was responsible for making gaming in general big in youtube. The problem arrived when people with "new youtube" mentality and other youtube "stars" made their own gaming channels. They're all the same. In fact, I think it took a very long time for AVGN to get a youtube partnership, unlike many other gaming channels inspired by him.

And Angry Joe isn't even capable of writing coherent reviews (check asalieri's videos). The FO3 thingy was just him trying to be edgy 4 the kidz out there, but his general behaviour really gets on my nerves. AVGN had charm, like you knew where he was coming from, but everything about Angry Joe smells like Dewritos culture.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You're talking about two separate phenomena here.

1) The "Angry Reviewer" phenomenon, of which AVGN was among the first. (I am not sure if he was THE first)
2) The LP phenomenon, which is often neither angry nor a review.

That makes sence. Never really separated cool guys like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic from all other reviewers and even LP. Come to think of it, those are totally different genres indeed. Thanks for clearing that up.

AVGN's popularity opened a window for the gaming community. Even if he wasn't directly responsible for inspiring LP people to do stuff, I'd say he was responsible for making gaming in general big in youtube. The problem arrived when people with "new youtube" mentality and other youtube "stars" made their own gaming channels. They're all the same. In fact, I think it took a very long time for AVGN to get a youtube partnership, unlike many other gaming channels inspired by him.

And Angry Joe isn't even capable of writing coherent reviews (check asalieri's videos). The FO3 thingy was just him trying to be edgy 4 the kidz out there, but his general behaviour really gets on my nerves. AVGN had charm, like you knew where he was coming from, but everything about Angry Joe smells like Dewritos culture.
Hah, Angry Joe can be an idiot, but at least he is doing something which has some worth. PDP is just pure garbage. And don't bring up that idiot asalieri, that guy is just an awful human being.

Deleted member 7219

He's not funny and he's not clever.

If you're looking for an eccentric foreigner with a funny accent fucking around in games, seek out Robbaz. He's ok. He doesn't scream down the mic every 5 seconds.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Could someone put into sensible terms why someone like pdp is able to get 10 million views on nonsensical videos? There are no cats in them. As men go, he's pretty hideous.

Nope, your question fails from the beginning. He's considered very attractive and a large portion of his audience are females (consider his smoking hot girlfriend for example). This cute appearance is furthered by his childlike character and use of japterms like sugoi, senpai etc. which also appeals to the weaboo crowd in general, a crowd which is becoming mainstream (see Pharell's recent lolicon video and also Avril Lavinge's attempt to cash in on jap pop culture the same way).

I'd also say his playing of horror games has a lot to do with his popularity. To a younger crowd his playing of scary and gory games and his shouting obscenities at them combined with the above-mentioned adorableness is the perfect fit for the kind of edgy but overall not at all threatening and totally approachable image that is exactly what young sexually blooming females want. In addition to that his status as a former shy, socially awkward borderline autist studying economics who got big playing vidya games appeals to both the brony-esque crowd and the increasing population of disgruntled beta male sorts who want to imagine a way out of their traditional jobs now that they don't carry the honor of breadwinning anymore or can't even acquire said job at all. So it's a combination of fitting a certain general youth demo perfectly, like a korean boy band, and riding a certain temporal trend ("rise" of beta brony-sorts) coming together.

The youtube algorithm is certainly a large portion of success but that algorithm was going to have to favor someone in the end, the algorithm alone doesn't explain why it's him and why it's him boils down in a large part to the fact he's, especially for a nerd, considered conventionally good-looking contrary to your initial assertion.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well dont come running to me with your questions, i never even seen one video of him.

and yeah Robbaz is way better.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah, appearance is pretty important. There is another dude named Markiplier who has a similar shtick, only his voice is deep and he's overall more masculine (but not by much). But he's got quite a few female admirers out there too.

Of course, you have your fair share of average and awkward looking dudes who have millions of subscribers

Oh, and you can blame DSP for PewDiePie's existence. That guy is just a generator of suck.

Severian Silk

So total garbage like Wonderbread is on the shelves fucking everywhere, and gets bought by shittons of people who never even bother to try any other type of bread (like the shit that got baked literally that morning in the store they're in that costs less.)
I thought Wonderbread went bankrupt or whatever last year?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
As for how 'unfunny' people are able to become successful, this is far from a recent phenomenon. The Three Stooges, Adam Sandler, David Spade, George Lopez, Fred, The Nostalgia Critic, if you're surprised by people being amused by infantile humor at this point then there's no hope for you.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
As for how 'unfunny' people are able to become successful, this is far from a recent phenomenon. The Three Stooges, Adam Sandler, David Spade, George Lopez, Fred, The Nostalgia Critic, if you're surprised by people being amused by infantile humor at this point then there's no hope for you.

Nostalgia Critic can be amusing. At least his reviews are very accurate and informative, not to mention all the memories they bring back. I like the humor most of times too.

If only he was less histerical.

Renegen

Arcane
You have to understand what his competition is. Almost every "big name" LPer that I followed is an insufferable twat that likes to hear the sound of their own voice way to much. You think TotalBiscuit and his overly dramatic voice is any better? Sooner or later I dropped all of them. And as for the others that are half way professional or have any social skills, they are open about being bribed by AAA devs or just play dudebro games. PewDiePie by comparison can play quietly for a while and goes for understated humour/dumbfuckery. He is the closest thing to a "cool" nerd, he is watchable, if you happen to care about stupid flash games or linear scary games.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You have to understand what his competition is. Almost every "big name" LPer that I followed is an insufferable twat that likes to hear the sound of their own voice way to much. You think TotalBiscuit and his overly dramatic voice is any better? Sooner or later I dropped all of them. And as for the others that are half way professional or have any social skills, they are open about being bribed by AAA devs or just play dudebro games. PewDiePie by comparison can play quietly for a while and goes for understated humour/dumbfuckery. He is the closest thing to a "cool" nerd, he is watchable, if you happen to care about stupid flash games or linear scary games.

At least TB doesn't crack fart jokes every two minutes. In fact, he doesn't crack jokes at all. He is there just for reviews and info, all of which spoiler-free. He is the one to watch for old fuckers like me, who don't follow AAA titles, as well as modern games in general. Anyway, what's wrong with his voice? I don't remember him being dramatic at all. One grown-up man on youtube, for a change. Nice british accent too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You think TotalBiscuit and his overly dramatic voice is any better? Sooner or later I dropped all of them.

TB and PDP are two different planets completely. TB is by far the most intelligent, serious and acceptable of all the AAA journos. I don't watch him regularly because I don't give a shit about vast majority of games he's showcasing, plus he's a terrible gamer, but whenever he has anything to say about the industry as a whole he almost always gets it right. And his voice sounds dramatic because that's the way he speaks, it's not fake. And he has a big green dot in my personal txt because he shat all over Bioshock Infinity shortly after the release, when saying BI is not the best and most glorious game ever made was akin to publicly saying lynching niggers is ok in some circumstances.

PDP is just a clown entertaining children at parties. Except it's not at parties but on YT. And he doesn't have the Krusty makeup.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm not surprised there is target for less intelligent audience.
The actualy strange thing is people - who considered themselfs as more intelligent than PDP audience - waste time on this shit, trying to understand it and analyses and whatnot.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I suppose that for your typical LPer, that sort of style of recording yourself requires a specific mentality.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Pewdiepie is what average pre 25 male is today. Etape dans une vie.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sure, it's ok when you say it. I got shat on for complaining about these millennial faggots just the other day.

pippin

Yeah, although I wouldn't complain if it was limited to being stupid on the interwebs, but what really makes me mad is how they think of themselves as people who have made something worthwile with their lives, as some sort of personal achievement.
As a footnote, the other day I was talking to a (popamoler) friend of mine who complained about how this guy played Alien: Isolation on normal difficulty. She thought he was being a faggot for not playing it on the hardest one.

Perkel

Arcane
Salt.
Dudes does what he wants, rubs SJWs with rape jokes non stop online and irl he is just normal dude.

He is hero you don't deserve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom