Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Phantom Doctrine - "tactical Cold War conspiracy thriller" by Hard West developer

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Kacper Szymczak CreativeForge Games Developer

Kacper Szymczak
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Hype is related to unreleased things, so you're suggesting never getting hyped at all.
    Or, in other words, never get excited for games that you don't have yet.
    I feel you.
    I understand where this comes from.
    But it's like saying "I will never love again" and it's simply not true.
    You have been damaged, and took a lot of pain, because people disappointed you, because preorders didn't match expectations.
    (I should know, the last game I preordered was Kane & fucking Lynch, a solid contender for the biggest disappointment ever)
    But - take my hand - there's someone out there, there's a game out there - that will love you, and you will love in return.
    Don't be afraid to daydream and seek happiness just because Kane & fucking Lynch turned out to be shit. And so was Hitman Absolution.
    But love will come back to you, just like Hitman 2016 and I spent 163 lovely hours, exploring each other until the very last achievement and escalation challange and opportunity kill and elusive target.
    I regained my trust and preordered and Season 2 better be fucking good or else.
    But I digress.
    Get hyped, because what else could you possibly be excited about?

• Friendly x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Hype is a personal thing and is related to things you personally don't know about, not for things nobody knows about. But it is usually used for masses and before release because people don't have any real info so many do get hyped because more people have a positive look on life and expect good from things.
    But you can easily be hyped for things that others are playing and you have not played yet. At that time there is a lot more info about games and you can find out in more detail if the product looks and play like something you would enjoy and your hype can be based on more than marketing talk.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:

All this comment needs is a 90s R&B ballad in the background

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Pretty Liturgist Patron

Pretty
    Parrots:
    What if communists actually won cold war?????

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• incline incline x 2
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. PanteraNera Savant

PanteraNera
    Parrots:
    Hm, I usually only get hyped these days if a game in the making promises or better shows game mechanics, writing and content I want to see in a game. You just get more and more cautious, especially if you were hyped before and were let down.

I think that often vague information, that can be interpreted in different ways lead to false hype, with buyers remorse / backlash for the studio.

I am interested in Phantom Doctrine, it has quit some game features I like.
    I would be hyped about it if it had a real ballistics system, game mechanics like JA2 1.13 (tactical battle, inventory, agents that interact with each other) and good mature writing.
    (I do not know of the writing quality).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-with-turn-based-cold-war-spy-thriller-phantom-doctrine/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Parrots:
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Burning Bridges Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Burning Bridges
    Parrots:
    I don't expect much from this. Made by a 3rd rate Polish developers and just snatching up some good ideas, it will be weak sauce like Hard West.

• Edgy x 4
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Spotted this:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Freddie Learned

Freddie
    Parrots:
    Really liked the logic behind their decision to set this in the 80's. There's much more that could be said, but how dev handled that was... say elegant way and I agree.

Codex really needs to review this.

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    It's official:

• Salute x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    Parrots:
    They got a ton of good press from E3.

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    They deserve it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  15. rusty_shackleford Learned

rusty_shackleford
    Parrots:
    really? how odd
    hard west was an obscure gem

really good game though imo

^ Top  
  16. Mark Richard Erudite

Mark Richard
    Parrots:
    Hard West had so many features like resource gathering, stealth, or persistent wounds, but didn't really commit to any of them. They were all so simplified, and never coalesced to form something truly great.

That narrator though.
    :shredder:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)