Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Ufo Afterlight/Aftershock/Aftersometing in grimdark.

spectre

Arcane
Well, Aftermath could get quite grimdark in places.

I couldn't get myself to give a damn about Chaos Reborn, but this... this actually looks like something I'll be following with some interest.

Israfael

Arcane
Sadly nothing about TUs, line of sight and tactical part of the game. Evolution thing and the better parts of xcomapoc sounds nice tho

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
YVPSorf.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
One thing I don't like so far about this game is that he said your soldiers will not die when they lose their HP during missions but just become disabled and you will take them back to base and heal them.
This is his way of countering the problem of nuXcom where high level soldiers are everything and losing them can cost you the game.

I hope this will be tied to game difficulty or that there will be an option of soldiers dying afterall. I don't want to play casual version of Xcom.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't know that.

Hmmm, the more I hear about this game the less interested & disappointed I become :(

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
One thing I don't like so far about this game is that he said your soldiers will not die when they lose their HP during missions but just become disabled and you will take them back to base and heal them.
If you played this variation http://www.tacticularcancer.com/gallery/1306.jpg you'd have experience with "only" wounded soldiers. When you can't hire new ones fast after bad mission, you'd have just a few non wounded available. And then when you don't have even full squad, things are difficult.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Totally agree. While the nuxcom are enjoyable it does not feel like a war. By the end maybe 5 X-com agents have died in total.

While in the originals... 100+ dead, and not just rookies.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Totally agree. While the nuxcom are enjoyable it does not feel like a war. By the end maybe 5 X-com agents have died in total.

While in the originals... 100+ dead, and not just rookies.
Originals were about mystery, about Mulder und Scully. About going to investigate on missions and not knowing what you'd encounter. About even single alien able to kill few soldiers with handgun when he'd surprise them. About a lot of mission which with rooster you had you had problems to do all. About limited funds which were consequences of keeping whole operation secret and financed only from black funds. About multiple ships simply running away, and preventing a shot down. And about killed aliens by AA weapons when shot down happened.

It was never about a large global war, it was always about small squads of these who had guts, but that didn't mean they were the best in the beggining.

vmar

Savant

This sounds terrible. There's no reason to even be careful and think about what you're doing, make plans etc if your 0 hp soldiers can just chill at base for awhile and be fine. That's why I like Ironman so much, dead is dead and you just gotta deal with it.

Half the fun of Xcom is looking at how many soldiers I got killed at the end of the game and grieving over my favorite ones and some of the mistakes I made to get them killed.

Severian Silk

Reloading a level when a soldier dies is also more fun than simply healing them when their HP hits 0.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I get the feeling that Gollop have totally missed the mark what made his first game great.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I get the feeling that Gollop have totally missed the mark what made his first game great.
Well it is obvious he is using nuXcom as baseline now and trying to improve upon it. Only Xenonauts is still using UFO as baseline.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of my preferred injury system is the one from Blood Bowl/Mordheim, where a downed guy is usually only wounded, but can get crippled or killed on an unlucky injury roll after the battle.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
One of my preferred injury system is the one from Blood Bowl/Mordheim, where a downed guy is usually only wounded, but can get crippled or killed on an unlucky injury roll after the battle.
That could actually be an alright mechanic in an xcom game. As long as the rolls are stacked pretty heavily towards 'bad stuff', especially if you get hit with strong stuff. It sounds like the aliens in this will start with some pretty mediocre weaponry, so that could be cool. Doubt that's how it will work though, will probably just be long wound timers as usual.

Israfael

Arcane
Well, it's still in preproduction phase, most probably, so everything is subject to change. I hope it won't be faux x-com / tabletop board game styled TBS, but everything can happen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom