Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Every screen and info from this makes it look like another sequel to Nu Xcom...

DeepOcean

Arcane
I guess Gollop is trying to adress the whining of people that got screwd by the RNG on NuXcom, if a soldier only gets injuried, the consequences of a bad RNG are lessened. Obviously, this could be a highly dumb down system, especialy, if to heal a soldier is easy and fast. I don't like this solution because:

a) A huge chunk of X-com is resource management being your soldiers one of those precious resources. One of the key features for me on Xcom is the risk/reward nature of the missions that turn your adrenaline up, if you can't lose soldiers definitely, the stakes drop to zero as you aren't risking resources and the tension that makes the whole thing fun evaporates. Obviously, people that like things safe and predictable will love this but safe and predictable is boring as fuck on X-Com, this isn't a turn based RPG or dedicated tactical game with hand tailored battles where the fun is to figure how to win a particular battle. X-Com is a meat grinder where what is important is not to win a battle but to win the war, if the risk of you running out of resources is lessened, winning the war is more predictable, soon you will fall on the routine of doing repetitive missions with predictable outcomes and low stakes. X-Com without soldier death is like playing poker without betting money.

b) As this game is taking cues from Nu XCom, I can predict those soldier will have ability trees with powerful abilities that make elite soldiers really strong. Imagine a system during a campaign where not a single one of your soldiers that reach veteran status dies, soon enough, by the middle of the campaign and afterwards, you will have so many veterans that you can afford to have most of your veterans injuried on a mission because while they wait to be treated, you still have a huge rooster of veterans to take their place. Death on X-Com is a way to guarantee you don't always have the best solutions at your disposal.

Obviously this is a new franchise and not X-Com even if they take heavy inspiration from it, they could compensate the lack of player death with other ways and manage to keep the strategic portion of the game engaging like permanent injuries, contamination by the alien virus on injuried soldeirs and other stuff we don't know but I don't trust developers, not that I think Gollop is a bad designer but he has to sell his game afterall.

Israfael

Arcane
contamination by the alien virus on injuried soldeirs
That's what i think will happen - your 'deceased' soldiers will be put into a sort of coma and you'll need alien toxin C or something like that to 'unzombify' them. They can also add that the state of soldiers will deteriorate with time so you'll need more of the magic substance to revive them. That would allow you to save the good soldiers while effectively removing them from the field (it can also be made that such restoration is more costly in terms of monetary investment or time than the actual training of a rookie). In any case, this no-perma-death thing is not a topical problem, what is more important is how much of a simulation this will be. This is the only thing that matters for me and many other people who refuse to play Firaxis boardgame

ArchAngel

Arcane
Or maybe rookies are expensive and you will not be able to have big long war like roosters to take place of injured veterans so you might need to go undermanned into missions while your veterans are being healed.

rezaf

Cipher
I think it's often underestimated how much of the popularity of the original X-Com was tied to the size of the sandbox, so to speak.
Many people applaud the game for it's lethality, for example, but as a beginner (or somebody who just doesn't like to have his toys taken away), the game allowed you to savescumm to your heart's content - you could finish the game without ever losing a soldier that way.
And people could have fun anywhere in the range between that and whatever arbirtary limitations they chose to impose upon themselves - this greatly enchanced the game's longevity.
Well, $0.02 and all that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I greatly enjoyed how Long War would knock wounded guys out of action for a month. It let me be somewhat reckless with my favored units while still making squad management a real thing. I hope to see that here.

ColCol

Arcane
:necro:

So, yeah nothing. But I have been following this game (asking about it) in several ways. I think this game is dead. Not official.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The game isn't intended to be released until at least 2018 so I wouldn't expect new info for awhile.

ColCol

Arcane
The game isn't intended to be released until at least 2018 so I wouldn't expect new info for awhile.

True, but the people behind are not even replying to question about if it is still being worked on.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, they were looking for investors and publishers at E3. If they're talking with or already partnered with someone, I don't think they would release more information publicly for awhile.

edit: Apparently he was one of speakers at International Roguelike Development Conference 2016 Europe last November, and supposedly was to talk about Phoenix Point. http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=IRDC_2016-Europe#Presentations_and_Demonstrations

But I can't find any video, article, or tweet about his talk. I wonder if he actually did the talk..

edit2:
The official playlist containing the recorded talks. Unfortunately a couple of talks were lost due to technical issues, despite being successfully streamed during the live event. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlpXlcIhgEoYgjyXHwad6wWrsFrkR5lu0

hmmm

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Well, they were looking for investors and publishers at E3. If they're talking with or already partnered with someone, I don't think they would release more information publicly for awhile.

edit: Apparently he was one of speakers at International Roguelike Development Conference 2016 Europe last November, and supposedly was to talk about Phoenix Point. http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=IRDC_2016-Europe#Presentations_and_Demonstrations

But I can't find any video, article, or tweet about his talk. I wonder if he actually did the talk..

edit2:
The official playlist containing the recorded talks. Unfortunately a couple of talks were lost due to technical issues, despite being successfully streamed during the live event. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlpXlcIhgEoYgjyXHwad6wWrsFrkR5lu0

hmmm
Perhaps this helps.
https://archive.org/details/RoguelikeCelebration2016

Mazisky

Magister
There is a cool Eurogamer video-interview where Gollum explain a lot of cool details about his game, dunno if it was posted before.

sser

Arcane
Developer

edit2:

hmmm
Perhaps this helps.
https://archive.org/details/RoguelikeCelebration2016

Talked to an organizer; he was not at that convention.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
True, but the people behind are not even replying to question about if it is still being worked on.
Why would you expect dazzling community contact from Julian Gollop? Does he have a history of high feedback or something?

ColCol

Arcane
Why would you expect dazzling community contact from Julian Gollop? Does he have a history of high feedback or something?

I don't know, I was just hoping some minor response could be given.

ColCol

Arcane
My friend just got confirmation that the game still being worked on lowkey when the studio tries to find a publisher. It was nothing to substantial, but I will post anything he/she received in a bit.

ColCol

Arcane
Thanks for your query.
We are working hard and fast on the game, but we are keeping quiet while we negotiate with publishers.
Here is a sneak screen shot of our latest prototype which NO ONE outside Snapshot Games has ever seen. We would not be too upset if you 'leaked' it.

Phoenix_Point_Prototype1.jpg

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea, it works now. I am glad you managed to figure out how to use some basic options internet offers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom