Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hey guise I did full completionist playthrough in 30 hours, I guess I'm just reading very fast or something.

So being underleveled on potd doesn't help much with lack of difficulty. Only Nemnok and Ashen Maw left. My party is level 17 after clearing everything, maybe i'll get one more before the end. Still everything just dies. Only vampires can somewhat screw you up, but it's only 3, i think, locations on the world map and my devoted monk can solo them after eating lobster or just chewing some svef.

The cut off point for diffulty is roughly when you reach your tier 4 talents and spells, so that's like level 12? After that everything pretty much just dies, yeah.

Codex Year of the Donut
So being underleveled on potd doesn't help much with lack of difficulty. Only Nemnok and Ashen Maw left. My party is level 17 after clearing everything, maybe i'll get one more before the end. Still everything just dies. Only vampires can somewhat screw you up, but it's only 3, i think, locations on the world map and my devoted monk can solo them after eating lobster or just chewing some svef.
how are you only level 17 with just that left?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
pallegina's quest is hilariously dumb

'sup goy, would you divert a train to run over 1 guy instead of 5 people?'

'uhhhhh'

'ok then based on your answer we'll kill this dude here :^) '

Yep, that one triggered me hard.

The highlight is not the quizz though, but that whoever wrote this could sense people will find it idiotic, so there was a dialogue option to say something like "wait a minute, it's never that simple" only to have safe space tumblerina rebuttal "my game, my rules, fuck you".

That's like breaking the fourth wall C&C.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
then makes a tally of your answers and says "ok then we will (not) kill the goy based on your answers", after which you can intervene or not.

nvm you always have to intervene because pallegina will go berserk and engage (and so will your party) even if you decide against it

also if you tell the goy to fuck off and just attack from the start without answering his personality quiz, she goes apeshit after you're done and leaves the party 'WOW U ATTACKED THEM WITHOUT A REASON HOW DREADFUL I HOPE WE NEVER MEET AGAIN'

what even

The highlight is not the quizz though, but that whoever wrote this could sense people will find it idiotic, so there was a dialogue option to say something like "wait a minute, it's never that simple" only to have safe space tumblerina rebuttal "my game, my rules, fuck you".

YES

Codex Year of the Donut
Yep, that one triggered me hard.

That's like breaking the fourth wall C&C.
correct choice was to just murder him the moment you stepped foot inside the building

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The building's door is non-interactable if you don't have pallegina with you, so you can't just go for the outcome you want by leaving her in the ship :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can just imagine what the train wreck will be if they add more companions with the DLC. Perhaps a cloistered nun of Berath who turns out to be a spy for the Fre... Orle... Aedyrians. Or a motherly Wizard/Priest who represents the Archmages. Or perhaps a whiny war veteran/sailor who lost his family in the Saint's War. All of them various shades of lawful good, despite the spy being an assassin and rogue.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
nvm you always have to intervene because pallegina will go berserk and engage (and so will your party) even if you decide against it

That entire quest is retarded but the part when she just ignores your decision and goes apeshit I actually liked tbf. It's silly when everybody just rolls with whatever protagonist decides.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That entire quest is retarded but the part when she just ignores your decision and goes apeshit I actually liked tbf. It's silly when everybody just rolls with whatever protagonist decides.

it would be fine if she went apeshit and suicided without dragging the rest of the party into combat

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2

also if you tell the goy to fuck off and just attack from the start without answering his personality quiz, she goes apeshit after you're done and leaves the party 'WOW U ATTACKED THEM WITHOUT A REASON HOW DREADFUL I HOPE WE NEVER MEET AGAIN'

what even

YES

I got them to let the guy go but destroy his research. Which is about aborting ugly godlikes. Cringe icing on the cringe cake.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Finished second run, for Rauatai this time and didn't get any Pallegina ending slide. I guess she got kicked from Deadfire with all other italian negros.
18 lvl. Final faction quest really gives lots of exp.

Now i can wait release version.

Deleted member 7219

Pallegina joined my crew but her quest never started for me, probably because she got fired as a result of my actions in PoE 1.

Her ending slide was pretty funny, a companion I never cared much about got dicked over again, so what?

The weakness of this series really has been a lack of interesting characters. I actually find the central plot interesting - souls and bodies not being the same thing, reincarnation via ancient technology, self-made gods etc. And the central plot is well written and well executed, and the faction quests offered a lot of choice. I just wish the rest of it was as well written as, say, KOTOR 2 or Fallout New Vegas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Obsidian's good writing has always been built by and around a few key individuals that are no longer around, so nobody should've expected anything that good.

Efe

Erudite
is it me or game bugs all the time?
things like you saving eders kid and his ship spawns again with dead kid this time and overwrites first outcome.
or being unable to fight deadfire merchants but next ship battle you win both fights

Pallegina joined my crew but her quest never started for me, probably because she got fired as a result of my actions in PoE 1.
I think her quest starts only if you take her near a certain place.
Animancers' tower.

I actually find the central plot interesting - souls and bodies not being the same thing, reincarnation via ancient technology, self-made gods etc. And the central plot is well written and well executed, and the faction quests offered a lot of choice. I just wish the rest of it was as well written as, say, KOTOR 2 or Fallout New Vegas.
It certainly has some potential. However the execution is questionable. In PoE 1 it's "just" an interesting part of lore for like 80% of game, and it becomes important only in the end. Which is IMO well written, however at that point the player has little to no emotional connection to that stuff, since it wasn't really present before. And in PoE 2 the interplay between factions is far more prominent than the souls stuff. Also the ending doesn't make much sense.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I beat the game after 70 hours, did most of the quests I found.

A really fun game. I loved the exploration, the factions and the roleplaying checks. The CYOA segments were great in the first game, and Obsidian chose well to make their number explode in the sequel. Most everything involved with the ship is fun. There are countless unique items and they're actually unique unlike the first game.

The main story is really bad though. It's a good thing that it's very short, but still. I couldn't help but to make comparisons to Mass Effect 2, except ME2 did it better. In that game you're killed by the Collectors, resurrected by Cerberus, and have constant communication with your boss The Illusive Man while you hunt for the Collectors.

In Deadfire, you're killed by Eothas off-screen and start the game already dead. You're resurrected by Berath, who afterwards appear so little in the story that I constantly forgot the fact that I'm supposedly controlled by her and on a divine mission. And where ME2 takes you into direct conflict with the Collectors during the course of the game, you're not really dealing with anything Eothasian for most of the Deadfire main quest.

At the Port Maje Engwithan digsite, you face random panthers and other critters that moved in after Eothas murderized the place. At Hasongo, you face Naga that moved in after Eothas murderized the place. But worst is Ashen Maw, where you face a race of fire giants that I didn't see referenced by anyone in the rest of the world before or after that quest. It's like they exist in their own bubble. Shouldn't the trading companies be concerned about the religious warrior-cult of fire giants sailing just off their shores?

And don't get me started on when Berath actually dragged your ass into her realm for a check-up. Excruciatingly long descriptive text and no player agency in the on-rails conversation turned something potentially spectacular - a meeting with gods - into the dullest affair possible.

The game would have been better off without this godly nonsense, and focused on what Obsidian actually does well: Factions and their conflicts. Having 4 is a tad too much as I barely know who the Queen is, but it's still pretty good. I supported the Vailians and was quite pleased to see Maia actually leave my party as a real person instead of kneeling down and sucking my dick because I'm da playah charactah.

I was a bit surprised that there were no post-main quest gameplay. Didn't Josh say earlier that you would be able to continue your game, Fallout 2-style? It's not like anything drastically would change in the world after the main quest anyway (the ending slides would show the future without further player meddling taken into account), just dialogue about Eothas that has to be changed into past tense.

Even though I murdered most Principi I met, I really liked the pirate side of the game and am planning a second playthrough where I aim to become the most feared pirate on the [insert balanced number here] seas. The open world map really incentivizes another playthrough, and would have been even better if they'd skipped the starting dungeon and just thrown me out there even earlier.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The reason I asked about writers' family situation.

The fact that we are all born, find mates, produce progeny, and eventually die, has made an impression on us since primitive times.

This is the reason that every known culture in history has developed some rituals that accompany these moments in a person's life cycle.

I found it curious that they were never explained or referenced in the guidebook for PoE2. For PoE1, we obviously had the Hollowborn crisis, which was connected to the questions of children, inheritance, etc. We had one quest about a recently married couple. But in knowing these cultures we are never introduced to their customs with regards to securing good fortunes for the child at birth, or asking the gods to show him favor in some way. Neither do we see or read a description of how a wedding ceremony is conducted. Nor do we learn much about the rituals connected with ensuring a soul's safe passage through the wheel, after someone dies.

My hypothesis is that these subjects are getting less attention, at least in part because the writers themselves are not yet interested in them, and have not experienced them. I may be wrong, but I think people who have not yet reached these milestones in their lives will tend to ignore these themes when constructing a fantasy world.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Odds are you just never got to trigger it. It only starts if she's in the party and you take her to the animancers' tower.

Also, I think I've finally reached the point of select all -> left click. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, I think I've finally reached the point of select all -> left click. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.
Huh, took you some time.

This is a frackin game dude. How much autism does it take to write a post like this for games?
Well compare anything about love in the game to say Geralt& Yen in W3 after their quest about genie, sitting both awkward and unknowing what is it that can bind two people for years even as they drift apart or meet again. It's way more powerful and mature thoughts than [flirt] [joke] [+++appreciation with companion].

This is when you begin to think about authors' feelings on the matter and their experience and from what do they, really, pull their shit they write about.

Trashos

Arcane
AwesomeButton ,
Not sure right now, didn't we get a glimpse on such matters via Grieving Mother & Sagani in PoE1?

Anyway, if what you are writing is indeed the case, it may also have to do with... (drumroll) California. California is not a place of customs or for having a family. Caring for the things you are describing is not part of their culture, and that's the case in most liberal parts of the US. Although I may be reading too much into it, and I hadn't noticed anything before you mentioned it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is a frackin game dude. How much autism does it take to write a post like this for games?:what:
What it takes is not "autism", but critical thought. Let me enrich your vocabulary a little more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Autism is a developmental disorder characterized by troubles with social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.
Not being able to find the right words to describe your thoughts is actually one of the symptoms of autism. This isn't a problem I have, but it seems to be a rather widespread condition here.

So, critical thought - In PoE's world, the Engwithans, from what we know about them, seem to have had an obsession with the rebirth cycle similar to the Egyptians' fascination with death. The modern peoples however seem to mostly shrug it off with some vague phrases about "returning to the Wheel". It's like the writers narrative designers didn't feel it important to show us (beyond the descriptions of gods' portfolios in the guidebook) what place does death, or birth, or bonding a couple in marriage for that matter, take in the life of a community or a culture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom