Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dr Schultz

Augur
All this bitching about the lack of non-combat options in PoE ruleset is hilarious. As if PoE weren't a combat focused game (exactly like BG and IWD), or as if any non combat skills/spell/ability/whatever werent't irrelevant at best in the large scheme of its gameplay (exactly like BG and IWD). Sawyer designed a system that actually fits the gameplay and the contents of its game: how dare he :shunthenonbeliever:!!!???

The whole thing is even funnier considering that he actually improved the non combat gameplay of BG/IWD through scripted interactions, a better dialogue system, and hopefully a serious faction system.

Not that I'm saying I like the sad skill system or the moronic attribute system of PoE, but, seriously: you guys are complaining because mages in BG can open locks and attributes are more meaningful (which isn't remotely true in any D&D edition :))? Once in while you should stop considering rulesets as something disconnected from the game they power. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?
This is the most retarded question I've read on the Codex...EVER. I mean, do you know what kind of game are you

1. Don't read snide remarks out of context and then get all huffy about them.
2. Check your sarcasm-DAR, it might be in need of a tune-up.

Bonerbill

Augur
All this bitching about the lack of non-combat options in PoE ruleset is hilarious. As if PoE weren't a combat focused game (exactly like BG and IWD), or as if any non combat skills/spell/ability/whatever werent't irrelevant at best in the large scheme of its gameplay (exactly like BG and IWD). Sawyer designed a system that actually fits the gameplay and the contents of its game: how dare he :shunthenonbeliever:!!!???

The whole thing is even funnier considering that he actually improved the non combat gameplay of BG/IWD through scripted interactions, a better dialogue system, and hopefully a serious faction system.

Not that I'm saying I like the sad skill system or the moronic attribute system of PoE, but, seriously: you guys are complaining because mages in BG can open locks and attributes are more meaningful (which isn't remotely true in any D&D edition :))? Once in while you should stop considering rulesets as something disconnected from the game they power. Just a suggestion.

They're just a bunch of fanboys who want Baldur's Gate 2.5, even though 3 other infinity games existed. I'm not a fan of Josh, but he is smart not to stick with that atrocious broken system.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?
This is the most retarded question I've read on the Codex...EVER. I mean, do you know what kind of game are you talking about?

You never miss a whoosh, do you?+M
You know me! That's my thing. Should be on my avatar by now.

I'm not a fan of Josh, but he is smart not to stick with that atrocious broken system.
Yes, good thing he invented an even worse system. :troll:

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. We've had the PoE beta backlash, the counter-backlash, the counter-counter-backlash. Now we're fully in the throes of the counter-counter-counter-backlash. (Where is the giant popcorn emoticon when you need it?).

Cyclone

Educated
If they're willing to do that, then that possibly opens the door for enemies who can attack the unconscious bodies of your fallen party members and permadeath them. Nasty!
That sounds incredibly gay. How am I supposed to protect the unconscious bodies of fallen party members? They presumably fell because someone was attacking them, and it's not like I can move them, or cast a spell that protects them, or anything. They're just sitting ducks on the floor for the enemies to sweep up.

Athelas

Arcane
That's what petrification in the IE games meant (assuming it happened immediately prior to battle or during battle). Making sure the petrified character didn't get hit (lest they be shattered) was a fun tactical challenge, though petrification was a pretty rare occurence outside of Basilisks.

kris

Arcane
That's what petrification in the IE games meant (assuming it happened immediately prior to battle or during battle). Making sure the petrified character didn't get hit (lest they be shattered) was a fun tactical challenge, though petrification was a pretty rare occurence outside of Basilisks.

Shouldn't be easy to shatter someone unless you are strong and got a bashing weapon. Unless "petrification" means "turn to clay".

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since some of our top donors said they didn't need a key, and all of those who donated at least $60 have been PM'ed too, I still have one Pillars of Eternity beta key to give away. Don't really want to do it in the Beg-beg-beg thread, since I assume there's a bit more people ITT who're likely to give the beta a spin, at least.

So, if you want/desperately need a PoE beta key, let me know ITT (quote or tag me). I'll do a draw tomorrow.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Since some of our top donors said they didn't need a key, and all of those who donated at least $60 have been PM'ed too, I still have one Pillars of Eternity beta key to give away. Don't really want to do it in the Beg-beg-beg thread, since I assume there's a bit more people ITT who're likely to give the beta a spin, at least.

So, if you want/desperately need a PoE beta key, let me know ITT (quote or tag me). I'll do a draw tomorrow.

I desperately want everything, including a PoE beta key.

Dagobert

Educated

I would like it to give some feedback to Obsidian, I backed it on kickstarter but didn't got the beta tier.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I still have one Pillars of Eternity beta key to give away. Don't really want to do it in the Beg-beg-beg thread, since I assume there's a bit more people ITT who're likely to give the beta a spin, at least.

I can always do a funbuilding about it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Video is still processing the HD video, but since it's mostly audio anyway may as well paste the link now

I am devastated. Everything in this thread pales in comparison to what I have found out in this video. You are not Eastern European. :negative:

Spockrock

Augur
his profile says he's from Australia, how could you have missed that part

yes, save me from downloading torrents after every patch, I'll gladly take part in the draw :greatjob:

set

Cipher

I could do with a legit key. I backed, but not at the beta tier.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
his profile says he's from Australia, Labadal, how could you have missed that part

yes, save me from downloading torrents after every patch, I'll gladly take part in the draw :greatjob:
I know that. That doesn't matter. There are lots of Eastern Europeans over there. I am very disappointed. I will never look at his posts in the same way ever again.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Video is still processing the HD video, but since it's mostly audio anyway may as well paste the link now

I am devastated. Everything in this thread pales in comparison to what I have found out in this video. You are not Eastern European. :negative:

This has nothing to do with nationality, you know. You can really only get this kind of insight from somebody who's been a competitive Call of Duty gamer for the past 10+ years.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Just don't give it to anyone who posts in this thread just to get the key. Give it to a regular poster of this thread. (Not me, I already have the beta.)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Dragon Age Inquisition just had co-op multiplayer confirmed. PoE sales numbers will be brutal.

So if you are "petrified" your health drops

No, if you're petrified your stamina is zeroed and all damage goes straight to health.

If you get petrified and then poisoned after that, prepare to die.

If you get petrified and are being bashed by a horde of enemies, prepare to die.
I think it would be more interesting (and make more sense, but I know JS does not care about it making sense or not) if a petrified character were unable to attack or move for whatever period of time but were also immune to any damage and would need to be dealt with after petrification wore off.

A few things with petrification: I haven't played the spiders who do it so that it for a a grain of salt.

The effect of petrification should be visible.
Players should also be stunned when petrified, that or increasingly slowed (10%, 30%, 50%) for several seconds (1-3 s) with a 0.5 second stun at the end.

This is a very good example of Sawyerfags and what their idea of "fantasy" is. A bunch of boring, uninteresting, trivial numbers that in no way contribute to an inspiring, credible setting.

But if you wanted to compete against your bro's in a perfectly balanced battle arena so you can one day be a video-game athlete, its perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom