Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Risen 1 was far from a perfect game but it closely followed the Gothic formula and showed there was still hope for PB
Except Risen 1 didn't have any memorable character, no dark-ish atmosphere that produced fear in some places and a feeling of security in other places, no memorable story, not really interesting factions, not much c&c etc. pp.

Good thing we have people like you with more money than sense to still make shit games profitable
As I said, it's a thing called "gratitude".
Plus I try to contribute to keep them alive, so maybe one day they can make Gothic 5.
Another reason is, that, being a fanboy, there is always some delusional hope left inside me that the next Risen will probably be better than the last one(s).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Risen 1 was far from a perfect game but it closely followed the Gothic formula and showed there was still hope for PB
Except Risen 1 didn't have any memorable character, no dark-ish atmosphere that produced fear in some places and a feeling of security in other places, no memorable story, not really interesting factions, not much C&C etc. pp.
Most of the things you mention are in relation to the setting and characters, which weren't as interesting as Gothic series (Gothic 1 mainly). In terms of gameplay you can't deny that Risen is the closest to Gothic since Gothic 2.

Except Risen 1 didn't have any memorable character, no dark-ish atmosphere that produced fear in some places and a feeling of security in other places, no memorable story, not really interesting factions, not much C&C etc. pp.
Most of the things you mention are in relation to the setting and characters, which weren't as interesting as Gothic series (Gothic 1 mainly). In terms of gameplay you can't deny that Risen is the closest to Gothic since Gothic 2.
True.
I just don't think that it's the gameplay itself that made G1 & G2 so memorable, it were mainly the aspects I mentioned.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
ZEjG4d.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I brofisted that post but there didn't appear a "You brofist this", I thought that was because my connection here is crappy.
Now it looks like this and the brofist button is active again - could brofist again but not brolapse.

Seems like a funny little glitch in the system.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I brofisted that post but there didn't appear a "You brofist this", I thought that was because my connection here is crappy.
Now it looks like this and the brofist button is active again - could brofist again but not brolapse.

Seems like a funny little glitch in the system.
heh, when i brofist it says:
You and (deleted member) Brofist this.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Probably the brofist plugin being silly when you brofist and unbrofist.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then why does the like not have a user that gave it? It must be a problem where the system recognizes a brofist but bugs out before it knows who did it, or something like that.

Plus I try to contribute to keep them alive, so maybe one day they can make Gothic 5.

Shouldn't they make a Gothic 4 first? There can't be a Gothic 5 without a Gothic 4, and so far no such game exists.
Just because it's crap doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This is why we can't have nice things and the game industry is a cesspit of savants and circlejerkers.
Another reason is, that, being a fanboy, there is always some delusional hope left inside me that the next Risen will probably be better than the last one(s).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There really aren't any memorable characters in G1 and G2. It's more the setting than anything else.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
mem·o·ra·ble
ˈmem(ə)rəbəl/
adjective
  1. worth remembering or easily remembered, especially because of being special or unusual.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That Little Meat Bug at the begining of the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom