Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape Torment crashes.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I installed the GoG version (program x86 files, NOT program files).

I then followed the steps listed here:

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/200 ... odded.html

Starting with step 3a and worked my way down. For the resolution mod, I'm using what my laptop currently uses: 1920 x 1080 (yes, TTO is small as hell). I'm using the text size at +80% for that other mod that enlarges the text. My OP is Windows 7 64bit.

Every once in awhile my game likes to crash. It seem to happen most often when the screen is loading. I believe it has something to do with the auto-save but I don't know how to turn it off. Any suggestions?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DragoFireheart said:

Starting with step 3a and worked my way down. For the resolution mod, I'm using what my laptop currently uses: 1920 x 1080 (yes, TTO is small as hell). I'm using the text size at +80% for that other mod that enlarges the text. My OP is Windows 7 64bit.

Every once in awhile my game likes to crash. It seem to happen most often when the screen is loading. I believe it has something to do with the auto-save but I don't know how to turn it off. Any suggestions?
I'm playing the game with the same mods you mentioned, and this exact thing happens to me. Unfortunately I didn't find a solution to this problem, but I don't really care now. It happens rarely, and only when loading a new area. The autosave is still working, so I just load that.

I don't think that it is the GoG version's fault, I have the 1 DVD version (+patch).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
DragoFireheart said:

Qwinn's latest fixpack that includes the new quicksave quickload option and some engine changes has been reported to cause random crashes to certain rigs (especially 64bit I believe and it mostly has to do with the saving/loading function) If the crashing is too severe you could try using earlier versions of the fixpack+UB+Tweaks. Namely : PS:T Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack v3.02 , Qwinn's PS:T Tweak Pack v3.51 , PS:T Unfinished Business v3.02 .

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Whatever you do, don't change the resolution for the widescreen mod after you've set it once, it will fuck up your saves and make the game crash when entering new areas.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Are you using quick load by any chance? It crashes when the cursor is on the bottom panel (where the chr portraits are) when you press it, but is fine if it's in the game area.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Falkner said:
Whatever you do, don't change the resolution for the widescreen mod after you've set it once, it will fuck up your saves and make the game crash when entering new areas.
Not if you downgrade the resolution.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only crashes I experienced with Torment had to do with video acceleration.

DragoFireheart

Still happens, though it's sorta rare. Like once every 10 loads or so.

I basically just quicksave before leaving an area: if it freezes up I reload the quick save and it works. Stll kinda annoying.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I had similar issues using the same mod guide. Crashes started around the time of entering Ragpickers Square for me. However, a more serious issue was constant crashing whenever I entered the Art and Curio Galleria in the Clerks Ward. It actually prevented me from fully exploring that place, so hope you don't get the same problem.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ragpickers Square, Art and Curio Galleria and Vrischika's Curiosity Shoppe are known for their buggy behavior from vanilla torment. The area files are fucked up and sometimes --especially the 2 clerck ward areas-- get corrupted and you can't even enter them. The fact that the latest fixpack made some engine tweaks to free up space and memory may have enhanced the problem.

Elzair

Cipher
Wait, Qwinn is back to PS:T modding? I guess bitches just can't stay away. I'm surprised he hasn't come slinking back like Black Cat.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Elzair said:
Wait, Qwinn is back to PS:T modding? I guess bitches just can't stay away. I'm surprised he hasn't come slinking back like Black Cat.

Nope: Last Active: Jul 09 2010 05:09 AM

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Elzair said:

Nope: Last Active: Jul 09 2010 05:09 AM

-Qwinn

hmazuji

Barely Literate

i had this problem also, but i didn't find a solution. playing with my computer, i installed xp x64 on another partition. one of the things xp x64 does super fast is defragment. i set about defragmenting every partition on my system, including the partition that has the program planescape torment.
i haven't had any crashes since.
try defragmenting your drive.
if it works, it will be a testament to random variations in the problem solving process.

DragoFireheart

What I ultimately did WAY WAY back then was restart my game without the resolution mod.

The resolution mod just didn't seem to work with certain areas. Maybe that has been fixed now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom