Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Cormac finishes his sentence Solon drops his freshly poured flask of whiskey, and starts coughing violently. He stoops to pick up the clay mug and says, "Excuse me. I've had a real imbalance of the humours lately"

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
"I am a student initiate of the Twelfth Circle of the Great Library of Kor. I was sent to investigate the fate of the arcane scholar Koren Ghul, with whom my master shared many correspondances. In my efforts I have ended up here... With little to show for it, it seems."

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon seems to only half-hear Urash's credentials and visible stiffens at the mention of Koren Ghul (noted by Rhenmyr's keen eye). Rhenmyr further examines the cramped circular room filled with oddities: a shelf along one curved portion of wall contains racks of scrolls, there is a desk in disarray with several open scrolls a single large grimoire laid out with river stones laid on pages as makeshift paperweights. The roof sags badly and there are several buckets scattered across the floor in the damp humid chamber. a stairway leads to a trap door in the ceiling in the back of the 30' wide chamber and a partition blocks part of your view of the rest of the place (likely a sleeping chamber judging from the dressing gown haphazardly thrown over one of the panels.

Solon regains a measure of composure, "Sorry about that, you get a bit clumsy when you get to my age." He chuckles a bit nervously, by Rhenmyr's reckoning. "My, all the way from Kor you say, and looking after Koren Ghul. That's the old sorcerer from Odessos isn't it? What on earth would lead you to the backways and byways of the Danu River Valley and Pictdom? Seems an unlikely place to investigate after an old, urbane fellow like Ghul . . . or at least that's what I've heard about him."

Cormac warily steps back from Solon, and positions himself behind and to the side of Borric. "I do miss having the dog around. I think I liked it more than most of the people we have met."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon looks around a bit, and walks stiffly toward the small table at the center of the room, "More mugs friends." He waddles back to the oak cask along the wall and starts filling each in turn and handing them out to anybody who wants one.

Solon walks over to a divan and slumps his ample girth onto the cushions and reclines, "So as I was saying, why on earth would you be looking for a Hyperborean sorcerer hundreds of miles from the nearest city?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm not sure if I made it clear what Rhenmyr noted. His insight roll revealed that Solon is clearly agitated at the mention of the name Koren Ghul, secondly your evaluation of the room's contents seems to mark it out as a sorcerer's study. Solon's reaction was definitely one of fear, not anger.

nikolokolus

Arcane
are we all privy to that information or just Rhenmyr?
Not unless Rhenmyr divulges it in some kind of code. Of course, everyone else is welcome to try and make rolls to see what their character notices . . .

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
When Kor responds to to Solon's question, Rhenmyr tries to draw some attention to the rooms contents.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"You seem like a good ole chap, Solon!" Then, switching to his allies, "Who is this Koren Ghul anyway? I've heard you lot mention him a few times."

L'ennui

Magister
"For my part, I never intended to come this far... But my expedition suffered some setbacks and I was rescued by Picts." Urash notices Rhenmyr's cues and looks around. "Say... You have some interesting artifacts here. Are you a collector, a hobbyist? Something else entirely?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
To Urash, Solon waves his hand dismissively at the collection of scrolls, crystals, dried bat-wings, jars of pickled organs and other accoutrement, "Oh, all of that old stuff? I'm a collector of rare books and scrolls. I came here about fifteen years ago to study the ancient runes on some of the old menhirs, dolmens and standing stones scattered all around here like chicken feed. Fascinating topic really. Did you know that the script appears to be a pre-cursor to both Pictish and Keltic? Whomever erected them or took the time to etch on them preceeded both of these folk, but probably imparted their writing to them. Of course if you talk to the locals, they'll tell you that it was the Gods who raised the stones. What a load of poppycock!" He laughs a little bit derisively, and then coughs when he realizes Mab, Cormac and Marcán disapproving glares are on him, *ahem*, "Anyway, the stones themselves aren't all that interesting, just a bunch of mossy boulders stood on end, but its the lattice they form that's so strange. When you stand near them and invoke the Witchsight, you can actually feel them bending ley lines. To what end, I haven't been able to suss out and no one seems to know . . . or at least they aren't talking to ol' Solon." He winks at Urash and chuckles before listening in on Marcán's patter.

Solon's eyes flick from Marcán to Rhenmyr and Mab, before sputtering and stammering over his mug, "Yes, just so. Very popular indeed. I mean who doesn't know the great and terrible Sorcerer Ghul of Odessos and second-cousin to the Emperor himself? Ummm . . . when Koren sent you here . . . did he mention me by name by chance?" He speaks his last sentence with an air of casualness and levity that comes across as very forced and the timbre of his voice cracks and wavers, as if he were trying very hard to keep his emotions under control

Make sure to mark your character sheets if you rolled a success.

That that point, everyone can make experience rolls for all of the skills/characteristics that you are entitled to.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán looks at Solon, inquisitively. "No, we were not sent to find a man named Solon. Why would he be interested in a collector?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Well . . . ummm . . . it's known that sorcerers are always getting folk to go off looking for esoteric objects for use in their dweomercraft right? I just figured if you were out here, then Ol' Ghul would have check in with collectors of oddities such as myself."

Solon gulps down his cup in an unsteady hand and smiles wanly. His brow is beaded with sweat despite the cool, clammy conditions of the drafty tower.

Siveon

Bot
Would Marcán be able to know by now that Solon is probably panicking because we brought up Ghul and Aphrodisias? This man has the worst poker face.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Would Marcán be able to know by now that Solon is probably panicking because we brought up Ghul and Aphrodisias? This man has the worst poker face.
I put his horrible "fast talk" roll into some kind of narrative context vs. your successful insight roll(s). So yes, it was meant to indicate that he started to freak out about the names Ghul and Aphrodisias . . . make of it what you want.

Also, my apologies for the gap between replies. This is deadline season for me at work, so things are always a bit overwhelming until around the middle of July. If I'm late to respond that's what's going on; I haven't forgotten.

Solon coughs, and nods at Mab, "Yes. I'm not feeling quite myself. I think I've got a spring cold coming on. You know how it can be in these interminably damp and cold climes? Ah, how I miss the gentle warm springs of Illyria. The white sand beaches, the plaster and lime homes lining the cobblestone streets. Tell me, does Madam Melinna still run the pleasure house just off of Dock Street?" He chuckles lightly.

Siveon

Bot
Marcán frowns, "Cease this charade, Solon. You've been a welcome host, and forgive me when I say this, but you are a terrible liar. You tense at word of Ghul, and you are practically in a panic when I mentioned Aphrodisias. Who are you, really? You are no simple collector, for that I am certain. We mean you no harm, but we are looking for the apprentices of Ghul, and you may just fit that criteria."

L'ennui

Magister
"Indeed, your theatrics could stand to be improved. What are you really doing here, friend?"

Haven't been posting much either, sorry. Wife gave birth to our third son on June 6th!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom