Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Something wrong with the forums? (everything goes white / CSS not loading)

Do you get this problem?

• Fairly regularly, 1 or more times a day (I use Chrome)

Votes: 42 43.3%
  • Fairly regularly, 1 or more times a day (I use some other browser)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Occassionally, a few times a week (Chrome)

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Occassionally, a few times a week (some other browser)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I used to but haven't had it in a while (Chrome).

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I used to but haven't had it in a while (other browser).

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Never had it (Chrome)

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Never had it (Chrome-free)

Votes: 38 39.2%

• Total voters

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, I had it happen just now too. I kept hitting standard refresh and got the same white screen. I viewed source, loaded one of the css.php files in a new window though then refreshed, and it obviously loaded parts of that css file. So I loaded the other css file in a new window and refreshed the main again and it was corrected.

For whatever reason, css.php just isn't loading or Chrome is choose not to load it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Firefox Nightly here. Only thing that went white on me is clicking reply to bring up one of the quick reply boxes, going to real reply mode fixes it. Anyway, those boxes have since been removed so whatever.
Good work, Francis Flowerwhore. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I've disabled CF last night so if this is still happening, it's a Chrome issue.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So when it goes white, no amount of refreshes will correct it (immediately). However getting on that white page from a link would force it to show correctly. Page will break when you refresh it multiple times.

Addblock is completely irrelevant, as I had fresh OS installation, and as far as I remember it happened anyway.

Going white is also MUCH more likely to happen on forums, than in a thread. It also happens more likely during heavy downloads, or connection hiccups.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A hard refresh (ctrl+f5 or ctrl+shift+r) fixes it... until it happens again.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Question. Those of you having issues, have you ever had this when visiting the Codex?

No data received

Unable to load the web page because the server sent no data.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.​

It'll appear in Chrome as a blank white page with just that error text.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Question. Those of you having issues, have you ever had this when visiting the Codex?

No data received​

Unable to load the web page because the server sent no data.​

Here are some suggestions:​
Reload this web page later.​
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.​

Yes! I have it sometimes.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

No data received​

Unable to load the web page because the server sent no data.​

Here are some suggestions:​
Reload this web page later.​

I have not gotten this or I have not seen this. If I see this I'll let you know.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Exaggerate much? It's about as bloated as you bloat it with plugins. It's never been slow for me, but then I don't go out and measure how many miliseconds faster a bare-bones Chrome is to convince myself that I need to switch to it. Bloat it up with a bunch of extensions and I doubt there's much difference.

At least Firefox loads every page.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I used Firefox until it started to fuck up Java and crash all the time across all my PCs.

Sodafish

Arcane
FF is noticeably slower at loading pages and at starting up, even on a fresh install. Chrome/Chromium has its own problems, but speed/bloat isn't one of them.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FF is noticeably slower at loading pages and at starting up, even on a fresh install. Chrome/Chromium has its own problems, but speed/bloat isn't one of them.
This is because Chrome loads itself into ram in the background. Firefox has also vastly improved it's startup time if you haven't used it in the past 6-12 months.

Sodafish

Arcane
This is because Chrome loads itself into ram in the background. Firefox has also vastly improved it's startup time if you haven't used it in the past 6-12 months.

I'm talking about the current version of FF, and I have an SSD as system disk. So this is much faster than old versions?

:hmmm:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I used Firefox until it started to fuck up Java and crash all the time across all my PCs.
Get rid of java. If you can think of a website that requires it, and I mean *really* requires it, stop going to it. It's a bad website.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom