Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Poll - What Settings would you like to see more represented in RPG's?

Next codex approved™ RPG should be set in:

• High Fantasy

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Low Fantasy

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Urban Fantasy

Votes: 75 25.0%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Scifi - Space Opera

Votes: 113 37.7%
  • Scifi - Future Earth

Votes: 95 31.7%
  • Hard Scifi

Votes: 141 47.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 123 41.0%
  • Time-Travel

Votes: 71 23.7%
  • Alternate History

Votes: 108 36.0%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 69 23.0%
  • Pre-Historic

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Ethnic - (ex: Oriental)

Votes: 83 27.7%
  • Horror

Votes: 104 34.7%
  • Super-Hero

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Western

Votes: 82 27.3%
  • Modern Day

Votes: 92 30.7%
  • Mythological

Votes: 49 16.3%
  • Historical Fantasy

Votes: 42 14.0%

• Total voters

Comte

Whoever wants a "modern day" RPG can just play SIMS :M

I have no idea what qualifies as horror RPG, it's the first time I'm hearing about it. And what the hell is "historical fantasy"? Isn't that every fantasy medieval inspired RPG ever?

I'd rather have the usual Tolkien fantasy romance combo but done right, or with some originality than made up genres.

Darklands would be considered Historical Fantasy.

JasonNH

Augur
Some kind of sci-fi setting that takes place underwater. Seems like an opportunity to come up with creative races, monsters, and environments that we haven't seen much so far.

mondblut

Arcane
A RPG game that takes place in France under Nazis control during WWII (Or in poland) with a jew protagonist would be cool!

oMeNo9L.png

could be fun :smug:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, I guess I would be in the "low-fantasy" camp. Eh, the camp isn't important. What is important is more of a "mortal focused" RPG. That is, the arc is not zero-to-godhood, but more in tune with a character that gains skill but in a realistic manner. Not everyone is destined for godhood/sometimes the wheels that move revolutions are just the bit players.

I don't want to be the dragonborn, chosen one, forgotten one, nameless one, badass with amnesia, mysterious man of destiny, or the once and future king. I'd think being kind of above average and seeing an opportunity to do your part is fine enough. In that manner, heroes of Philip K. Dick are more in tune with low-fantasy/sci-fi as I would see it.

Darklands was an excellent setting. Kind of feel the same way about Betrayal at Krondor. Owyn wasn't some super badass at the end of the game, but he was better (now, that was more story driven, but still you get the impression the characters are advancing, but it isn't some major leaps-and-bounds upgrades. It's small changes over time.)

Perkel

Arcane
Space water setting.

Space isn't void but filled with fluid and things in space are very close together. Planets can exist but most of the time object form huge chunks of rocks that could span milions of km

Civilization main problem is like in our case reach that fluid (in our case space) but once they are there you can use simple mechanical power to steer and since everything is very close together you don't need to spend thousands of years to reach other "planet"

This also mean that setting doesn't actually need to be super scifi with laser and warp. It can be even be low tech setting where ships would be literally fired up from huge cannons or using air currents and fluid height could be at almost any height liek for example 1km.

space sea itself isn't empty and without life. Various factions from pirates(not arr ones, bandits), space sea life, traders, to pocket less (basically your nationless generation ships). Space sea look more like deep ocean than empty void. Micro pockets with just one huge city or even smaller ones with just villages.

Alien forms exist but they are not aliens like we used to think. More Stanislaw Lem like. Common but for most part completely unknown, non logical and not understandable to civilizations from which player comes.
Solaris is good case here if anyone read that.

Civilizations. Bascially riveworld idea by Farmer. Buds of life sprouting from different ideologies and clashing with each other (but due to evolution not deus ex machina like in riverworld). Democracy like buds of life almost don't exist or they are in shambles. More focus on totalitarian aspect of life and different social constructs like lack of crating families, different types of parenting, castes.

Setting is set in early times when one of civilizations started to move through space/fluid and propagated technology of reaching fluid height.

Races. Assimov "foundation" idea. Deconstruction of empire due to its share size and almost complete regression in technology due to spending almost all resources. Races are more like human races (different look features like bone structure, skin pigmentation, diets etc, and a lot of time).

Main goal of game "explore universe" which would later go into war between pockets of life (planets) and depending on choices several of those pockets could vanish or none. Focus on lack of main story and instead focus on quest for factions without central plot.

Player after meeting certain goal can finish games whenever he wants. Kind of like retirement system rather than ending. Big focus on ending slides to show player effect on world and possible feature of it.

Last edited:

Sub-Human

Novice
Anything remotely related to sci-fi. There are so many possibilities to explore that go beyond dungeon crawling and killing orcs.

Hopefully we'll see surge of space RPGs in the next few years.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Darklands was an excellent setting. Kind of feel the same way about Betrayal at Krondor. Owyn wasn't some super badass at the end of the game, but he was better (now, that was more story driven, but still you get the impression the characters are advancing, but it isn't some major leaps-and-bounds upgrades. It's small changes over time.)

The setting itself in BoK was not very original, but I think they got max out of it. I actually thought the game had a more engaging story and characters than Raymond Feist's books, despite me having fond memories of the first book in the series (didn't like it that much when I reread it 15-20 years later, though).

Keldryn

Arcane
Yes, we need an RPG where you control a group of space marines exploring the hallways of ruined starships and abandoned dilithium mines while fighting alien beings. I'm so sick of D&D tropes. ;)

On a more serious note, the universe of Firefly and Serenity is a nearly perfect CRPG setting.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The setting itself in BoK was not very original, but I think they got max out of it. I actually thought the game had a more engaging story and characters than Raymond Feist's books, despite me having fond memories of the first book in the series (didn't like it that much when I reread it 15-20 years later, though).
No, maybe not the most original. But the arc of the characters wasn't from loser to badass in 7 chapters or so. The arc was more slight. Not adventure game slight, but more "realistic" if that could be applied. The abilities going up and the characters growing in strength, like Darklands, is something I would be interested in.

While BaK may not have had it all, it captured what I'm looking for. A game with a little more human element without the huge character arc.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, we need an RPG where you control a group of space marines exploring the hallways of ruined starships and abandoned dilithium mines while fighting alien beings. I'm so sick of D&D tropes. ;)

On a more serious note, the universe of Firefly and Serenity is a nearly perfect CRPG setting.
And there is a Firefly pnp RPG they could base the game off of... if only...

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was about to start a new thread with a pretty similar topic, but instead let's necro this.

I did not find an option for my suggested genre (I guess contemporary history or perhaps modern day choice appolies) but however, I would love to see a 60-80s cold war espionage/central intelligence themed crpg.

Think of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, or even better, the Sandbaggers.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Crusades, always the Crusades. Behead infidels, eat children, bully lepers, search for the Holy Grail (which quest can be bigger?) -plus the codexian favorite tastefully done rape. Violence and promises of salvation at every corner. It has everything.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Crusades, always the Crusades. Behead infidels, eat children, bully lepers, search for the Holy Grail (which quest can be bigger?) -plus the codexian favorite tastefully done rape. Violence and promises of salvation at every corner. It has everything.
Considering the socio-political climate of the western world i don't think there are any studios in the west with enough balls or actual talent to tackle that subject.

That leaves us with either modders or russians. So expect buggy mess or incomplete content at best.:(

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Considering the socio-political climate of the western world i don't think there are any studios in the west with enough balls or actual talent to tackle that subject.

That leaves us with either modders or russians. So expect buggy mess or incomplete content at best.:(

What about the defeat of the Ottoman Empire, perhaps a crpg running through a period from Siege of Vienna to the Battle of Vienna, or even longer? Codex GOTY guaranteed.

The battle marked the first time Poland and the Holy Roman Empire had cooperated militarily against the Turks, and it is often seen as a turning point in history, after which "the Ottoman Turks ceased to be a menace to the Christian world".[19] In the ensuing war that lasted until 1698, the Turks lost almost all of Hungary to the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I.[19]

Plot twist:
You play as a Lipka tatar

Horus

Arcane

What about the defeat of the Ottoman Empire, perhaps a crpg running through a period from Siege of Vienna to the Battle of Vienna, or even longer? Codex GOTY guaranteed.

The battle marked the first time Poland and the Holy Roman Empire had cooperated militarily against the Turks, and it is often seen as a turning point in history, after which "the Ottoman Turks ceased to be a menace to the Christian world".[19] In the ensuing war that lasted until 1698, the Turks lost almost all of Hungary to the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I.[19]

Plot twist:
While i would love a historical setting from that era i don't think it would make an great rpg game. It would be more suited to squad management type games where you get into skirmishes as a mercanary similar to warband or something like scaled down total war would fit into that time.

Crusaders era is more suited to crpg style as it allows more character driven setting to user, more plots posibilities for smaller groups and if you want to delve just a little tiny bit to fantasy it would allow many many more enemy variety compared to later historical eras(mesopotamia fuck yeah).

Too bad it will never ever be done in large scale. :negative:

Skall

Learned
I was about to start a new thread with a pretty similar topic, but instead let's necro this.

I did not find an option for my suggested genre (I guess contemporary history or perhaps modern day choice appolies) but however, I would love to see a 60-80s cold war espionage/central intelligence themed crpg.

Think of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, or even better, the Sandbaggers.

Sandbaggers is probably the best written TV Show of all time. Everyone go watch it.

ragnor

Educated
I

Plot twist:
While i would love a historical setting from that era i don't think it would make an great rpg game. It would be more suited to squad management type games where you get into skirmishes as a mercanary similar to warband or something like scaled down total war would fit into that time.

Crusaders era is more suited to crpg style as it allows more character driven setting to user, more plots posibilities for smaller groups and if you want to delve just a little tiny bit to fantasy it would allow many many more enemy variety compared to later historical eras(mesopotamia fuck yeah).
Too bad it will never ever be done in large scale. :negative:

Only way i can imagine for the Siege of Vienna game is using the battles as background and focus on a parallel storyline like the With Fire and Sword did (i'm talking about the book and the film, unfortunately not the game here).

Although if i have to choose and interesting backdrop i would probably choose the Fall of the Constantinapole. Player would be after some lost treasure or some other macguffin but at the same time city is besieged by the Turks and even if player founds the macgguffin he/she/they also need a safe passage out of the city too. I'm thinking about using this as a tabletop rpg adventure for a few years but still couldn't find a chance or desire to work on it properly.

By the way Mesopotamia fuck yeah, indeed.

Horus

Arcane
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,344766.0.html

Btw i found a mod for crusades on Warband. Might worth a try to scratch that itch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom