Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Possible new Loom™ game coming soon..... or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, if we're talking about Brian Moriarty independently trying to organize a LOOM sequel without Disney's involvement then there's your entanglement.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
To be honest, even though LOOM was meant to be part of a trilogy, I think a considerable part of its charm arises from the lunacy of the ending. As a kid, I remember thinking, "Wait, what? I don't even want to be a swan!! And why are we just ditching half the world to eternal hell?" Even the final animation is strange in so many ways, like the fact that half of reality is much smaller than the other half, that the scythe becomes the crescent moon (was there no moon before that? will the moon never wax or wane?), etc. It turns out that it's a jagged ending because it's meant to fit into the start of the next game, presumably leading to a much more traditional happy resolution. But the weirdness of the ending complements the huge amount of content in the manual that has nothing to do with the game -- drafts you never weave, Guilds you never meet, themes that are never really developed.

As I've mentioned when people talk about Primordia sequels, I think broad outlines of unexplored countries inspires a player/reader's imagination, but sequels inevitably wind up filling in the details of everything on the map, so to speak. Probably a faithful LOOM sequel would integrate the unused lore from the manual, but that would diminish, rather than expand, the setting.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Oh, Brian Moriarty, what hast become of thee?

Incidentally, I've just been reading The Digital Antiquarian's retrospective of Trinity (Brian's and Infocom's masterpiece IMHO) and, whilst being a fantastic read, it makes me wonder where all the games like Trinity are these days with deep thoughts and plots that make you think. Only Stationfall came close to echoing that feeling in my rapidly fading and failing neurons.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What about graphics ?

T1F0RQT.gif

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I was at that talk. Honestly it was one of the best ones I saw at GDC. Brian Moriarty clearly has a TON of passion for the world he created and the game. There were literal tears when he was talking about the inspiration behind the story.
If he takes that passion to a developer, I have no doubt that anyone could make it into a successful successor.

That said, my hope is Gilbert. The others have publishing deals and dont *need* the project. I think that Dave could literally pour passion into it - something that LOOM II deserves.

AngryKobold

Arcane
And where's your "Loom 2" after two years?

XAXAXAXAXAXA :D

The fanfiction I mentioned before seems to be dead as well:

http://forgegame.com/

Last update in 2014, dead definitely.

Talk about good riddance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom