Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Goblino

Savant
Nameless One: "I'll soon be nearer to him than you would like me to be."

Cynicus

Augur
A few not necessarily "fond" things that have stuck with me over the years:

Dragging my battered, half-dead party through a Wizardry dungeon and praying that they would make it out.

Hearing the Ultima VI intro music through a Roland synth for the first time.

Picking up an NPC early in Star Trail only to have him get sick and die.

The sickly pop that rats make in FO1 when you kill them.

Getting deep into The Glow before realizing I had forgotten to pick up rad meds.

Returning the water chip to V13 to be told "Yeah, thanks mate. Now GTFO."

"Finding" Harold in FO2.

Being told "leave me alone, I busy" by Fidel in JA. I don't remember a game char telling me to fuck off before that.

JA2 headshots (and the reactions of some of the characters to them).

Hearing "Jesus K. Rist!" and "Yeah, that coulda been bad, but I got me some kickass karma!" a few billion times.

Gathering my party before venturing forth.

Installing either BG or IWD (I forget which) for the first time and seeing the Planescape Torment trailer, also for the first time.

Waking up in a mortuary with Murray a floating skull asking "Hey, chief. You okay?"

Not really an RPG, IMO, but being greeted by SHODAN in the multi-monitor walled room in SS2. Nostalgia flood.

k0syak

Cipher
Darksun 2: after the very beginning, when you get to the (?)Veiled Alliance(?) headquarters there's a chick at a desk that explains what's what and sends you to investigate something. After you come back, the place is trashed and she's dead. That's when shit became personal with whatshisname for me :)
Gothic: dude asks you for help and when you go out of the gates, he tries to mug you with his friend.
Wizardry 7: LOOT. Was very exciting for some reason.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Getting the Highwayman car running in Fallout 2. That music!
I brofisted Morblot's post solely due to Morblot's superbly awesome avatar. Otyugh's rule! Otyugh's are also another fond memory of my rpg playing experience. So YEAH! +1 to fond Otyugh battle memories here!

:)

A telepathic buzz fills your mind.
18630.jpg
"If you wish the shiny thing, then we must have treasure in return. To the south are others of our ilk, who have two fine smelling piles of food. Bring us those."

My fondest CotAB memory.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The moment I figured that Chrono Trigger had more than 1 more ending. Much more.

Good'ol Dark Sun Arena.

Ending of Fallout 1, I was a goddamn post apocaliptic white knight in shining armor. And that mother fucker exiled me, ME!!!. I swore an oath to be an extreme jerk in all other playthroughs which contiuned even in Fallout 2.

Figuring out that I screwed main quest in Morrowind. 60+ hours wasted :D

Entire Gothic 2, but the best part was the first time I was trying to get in besieged paladin castle, with 30+ orcs chasing me.

Conversation with Sovereign in Mass Effect 1.

T. Reich

Arcane
Here's a very recent one for me, but it's gonna stick with me for sure:
"Yes Man, please throw General Oliver from the Dam."

bloodlover

Arcane
I assume am quite young compared to many people here so here are some of my picks.

1. The feeling in Gothic 1 when I was not an uber 1337 character. It was quite fun not having gear from the early start and not being able to tackle most of the stuff that came my way. It gave me a real sense of character growth, where stats and grear didn't just mean a random +1 to something.

2. Entering The Asylum for the first time in VTMB. That song is still stuck in my head after so many years, along with the lights and people dancing to it.

3. Discovering the fast travel in Morrowind. I've always been ( and still ab) a giant explorer and looter in games so when I first started playing Morrowind I never even bothered looking for a faster way to travel. I think it's self-explanatory how long it took me to reach Balmora for the first time :negative:

4. Honorable mention to a game that is not an RPG: Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I remember playing hotseat almost every single day for an entire summer and fighting with my friend over who gets to play with Solmyr. Back then we thought he was the only good character in the entire game and never cared about other castles or heroes.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- Going north in Fallout instead of east in the beginning. Ending up on the base and battling plasma rifles with puny guns. Managing to make my way through after endless reloads and get overpowered for the rest of the game.

- Cutting down fences and opening holes with explosives in JA2

- Fighting a lich in BG2 who would imprison 1-2 party members in the beginning of the fight unless you did something REALLY FAST

- Dying in the first serious battle in BG1, on these steps from that mage.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Uninstalling Mass Effect 2.

- Not an "RPG moment" per se, but RPG-related, reading DR's review of PoE.

- Reaching the Old Camp in Gothic 1. I know it happens right away and after almost no trouble, but the feeling of being a helpless shit was so overwhelming that reaching the camp was such a relief. Well done PB. Now, forget about it and get back to making shit games.

- Meeting Diego again in Gothic 2.

- That little campfire with Devon the fisherman in U8. I dunno why but it felt like a "cozy" moment in an otherwise fairly hostile land.

- Fixing Rex in FNV.

Sjukob

Arcane
It is definitely Arcanum . It is not about memorable moment , but about a game in particular . I like very much how you can straight up kill anyone who you don't like , but not only kill , you also have a nice dialogue line to start a fight with NPCs . It is important for me , it adds roleplay and reason for murder , and it doesn't look as blank as in other games where you can slaughter anyone ( Fallout for example ) , because it's got a scenario to it and not only your desire to kill an unpleasant NPC . I think this is a must have feature for any decent RPG , unfortunately I don't know any other game where this was implemented . This was my biggest annoyance with Fallout , since I played it after Arcanum and didn't find such an option in dialogues and Fallout would have been better with it . I still feel a dull grief inside when I play an RPG games and don't get that oppurtunity in most of the dialogues .

resilient sphere

Educated
reading the manual for Captive as a kid and being in awe of how the whole game UI was explained as being a series of features of an actual multiple droid control system set into an attaché case. Then getting into the game and slowly working out the strange quirks of the system - the importance of the plug sockets! All the things you can use the overhead monitors for! Realizing that that the super-ball wasn't just junk but actually a way to turn the tide against how difficult the combat gets... and the final huge realization that the levels are sequentially generated is absolutely huge, a sort of gut-punch in terms of "I can never actually FINISH this game"-ness but at the same time, what an amazing achievement for an old Atari ST!

and THEN looking at today's RPG fan and realizing Captive will never be considered the classic it deserves to be known as because it has no NPCs and the character creation consists of storing a name on a chip =P

Ashenai

Learned
2. Entering The Asylum for the first time in VTMB. That song is still stuck in my head after so many years, along with the lights and people dancing to it.

For me it was the scene with the Voerman sisters arguing. It blew my mind, and I felt like such an idiot for not figuring it out sooner. It was so obvious in hindsight! Sixth Sense moment for me right there.

Damn, Bloodlines was such a fine game. Shame about the sewer levels. Now that's the game that needs a sequel/remake/reboot, although there's no way they wouldn't completely butcher it. So maybe it's better this way.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
This thing that inspired me to do this pacifist LP of Fallout 2

It was when I played F2 fourth or fifth time. In Navarro. I was going to purge it, like I always did before. Because they are obviously, bad guys, and there is lot of xp involved. But then I learned a little fact.

One of female soldiers there had a nickname. It was given her by her scientist boyfriend, can't remember name. Nickname was "Snookie".

And I realized that, somehow, I just can't kill someone named Snookie. Or her boyfriend. Or that blind cook. Or vertibird mechanic. And I'm not keen to slaughter rest of Navarro either. May be because this world, and people in it, are real. Not as real as real people, of cause, but real enough for me, to make killing them a moral choice. And I am only comfortable with one option of it.

DramaticPopcorn

Beating an optional encounter with a shitton of Beholders and drow in Secret of the Silver Blades (or was it one of the Savage Frontier games? My memory is fuzzy)

Beating that optional post-final battle in KotC with a shitton of demons and devils.

The ending slides of Blood Money DLC in F:NV... pretty impactful stuff.

The rest of the fun moments kinda got diluted by the sheer amount of games that I've played.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
My fondest RPG memory was caused by a programming glitch. In Pool of Radiance in the area of Kuto's Well, a party controlled by myself and a friend was attacked by a horde hobgoblins at every step. Every single step we took across the map, hobgoblins would rush from the well and attempt to end our lives. Hours and hours of fighting just to leave the area and finally be safe again. It never happened again, but initially, I thought the area was meant to be that hard. We expected an army of hundreds of hobgoblins to greet us once we went down in the well and were a little disappointed. Turns out it's just a rare glitch that happens sometimes on the Commodore 64 version, but I will certainly never forget how tough and brutal it was.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Experiencing for the first time Deionarra's sensory stone. Had to take a break and walked away from the monitor at the end of that.

I owe you many, many brofists. For me the niagra falls stone was the one in which you order the bombing of a planet into oblivion.

Beatrix's ghost in Serpent Isle who suddenly threw the entire series to that point into perspective.

The wonderful manuals that came with Ultimas 4-6, sadly diminishing in quality with each sequel.

In another world, in a time to come...

Also, very, very, very embarressingly, Thane's death in ME3 when playing as FemShep. Yup, hand back your codex card, don't let the door hit your arse...

Last edited:

JasonNH

Augur
Wandering around in Ultima 5 below some falls and ending up in the Underworld. I was playing with a friend next to me and we lost our minds when that music started playing and we had no idea where we were or how to get out.

Adamaklas

Literate
Playing my very first multiplayer dnd campaign in icwd2... aaaah the awe .
JA2 < I KNEW THOSE TWO WOULDNT FIT WELL>
Watching the sea with in morrowind with a new vga...
That night that i did my first 36-hour on gothic 2 cuz we were moving next day and i couldn't get enough!

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally beating the Cowled Wizards in BG2 after patiently turning my mage into a powerhouse.

Robbing the sheriff's house in QfG1 as a thief. Generally the thieves walkthroughs of QfG games.

Figuring out how to stay alive in Robinson's Requiem after a couple of dozen tries. And then even making my own clothes, purifying water, taking quinine against malaria and all that boy scout shit.

Defeating the dark mages outside of Lowangen in Star Trail. The whole mountain path from Daspota to Thoss in Blade of Destiny, including Daspota. "Haut die Saebel auffe Schnaebel!"

Bullfighting orcs and dinosaurs and stuff in Gothic 1 and 2. Also doing stuff like this:

Goblins in the Gothics were kinda cute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom