Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prepare for Diablo II, Warcraft III, and Starcraft Enhanced Editions

34scell

Augur
They could remove the sprite limit from Starcraft (so your units don't stop attacking in big games) and, more radically, maybe alter the path finding a little so units don't walk in the other direction when ramps get blocked.

rado907

Savant
If they re-release these titles with HD support and some interface and other quality-of-life improvements, I'd buy them on the spot. Maybe even play them. All 3 games were classics.
I know that it's easy to buy old games on GoG nowadays, but it's hard to play them when they lack HD support, and their interfaces often feel clunky. I loved the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate.

TedNugent

Arcane
We already have digital editions of all those games, and we damn well don't need any stinking "enhanced" editions. Blizzard being fuck heads as usual.

I completely agree. However, when playing Warcraft Orcs and Humans and Tides of Darkness,

I do have to say that the lack of multiple hotkey groups and group limits (4 in Orcs and Humans, 8 in Tides of Darkness) really sucked. So if they remade those two games, it would actually be pretty sick. The only thing they really need is the War3 era UI improvements, or at least up to Warcraft 2 Battlenet edition (which I can't find on abandonware).

Incidentally, somebody did remake Orcs and Humans as a custom Warcraft 3 map. It was a little buggy though.

Also:

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Warcraft 1 and 2 enhanced edition would blow my fucking mind if done right, with the right voice acting. sound effects, decent art style, etc.

I don't have faith in them pulling Diablo 2 off. In a perfect world we would get an updated version of Diablo 1 and 2, but that won't be done right.

saltyshanty

Educated
I don't have faith in them pulling Diablo 2 off. In a perfect world we would get an updated version of Diablo 1 and 2, but that won't be done right.

Me neither. I'll go full D2 hipster on this and say that unless they retain the breakpoints for FHR/FCR/etc, the game will be ruined. The classes were built around 25 FPS, and lord know that the casuals running Blizzard now won't appreciate how this inherently created depth in itemization.

abija

Prophet
D3 is full of the same shit coding so they probably would understand. Also, someone curating those wouldn't touch that code with a 10ft pole.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/11/diablo-2-update/

Meh, I hoped for a real restoration, but I'll take that patch too.

Diablo II v1.14a Patch Notes

Specific Changes & Improvements
- No need to run in XP mode anymore, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 compatibility complete
- Mac installer and compatibility for 10.10 and 10.11 has arrived
- First client run will migrate saved characters to avoid issues from Windows system
admin changes

Known Issues
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported

Any kind of aspect ratio change would break the game and higher resolution would only work properly in multiples of the original.

Ivan

Arcane
never played Diablo

which class is the most fun?

ARPG experience: Torchlight 1+2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn

Alex

Arcane
Diablo I's classes are very similar, as there aren't skills like on the other games. There are spells, but you learn these by finding books, not spending something you get on level ups, and all classes have the same spells. The only difference between them is their starting ability, which isn't really that important most of the time. The warrior can repair items, while the wizard can recharge staves. But even if these abilities allow you to save a few coins, they reduce the maximum value of the attribute they restore. That is a recharged staff, for instance, will have less maximum charges. Besides that, the different classes also have different starting and maximum attributes, which affect what kinds of items you can use and how good you are with them.

Personally, I prefer to play wizards, as they can get to higher levels with the different spells. Magic in Diablo is nothing to write home about, but it is fun.

Ivan

Arcane
What about D2? I hear it has the best Necro class in any arpg. Tho I'm not a fan of "pet" builds in modenr arpgs. How is it different/special there?

Severian Silk

High-res would be okay if they re-render all the sprites. I doubt they still have the ancient art assets/software lying around anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom