Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prepare for Diablo II, Warcraft III, and Starcraft Enhanced Editions

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Diablo 2's necromancer is a lot of fun. Skelemancer is also the absolute best build for people without access to good gear, because while things like +skill improve your summons and curses, your skeletons can still do their job without them even through hell.

An act 2 nightmare offense merc with a pride weapon helps out a lot, though.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
60+FPS would be nice but that would be technically impossible without re-rendering the sprites as Severian Silk said.
Couldn't they use motion interpolation like SVP (https://www.svp-team.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page) ?

This tech has been used in games before, even in N64 games ported from CD-ROM games, which had FMV. So they halved the framerate and then reconstructed it during playback.

It's not gonna work for something as exact-looking as sprites.

Problem with games is that framerate is variable and you don't know the N+1 frame ahead of time to interpolate the N+0.5th frame with. You could impose an extra 1-frame lag but ehh.

Khorne

Arbiter
Still no proper scaling and widescreen support in Battle.Net mode, amirite.
I have my doubts about the warcraft aspect ratio fix, the game always streched and the only way to make it not strech is to set margins for the window to fit default ratio.
Even if someone made a professional widescreen patch, they will most likely break it for the sake of balance in mp.
Just like they did with diablo2, instead of banning it in mp they just intentionally broke it for everyone with patch 13 and said someting along the lines of 'balance in singleplayer'
One can still revert to patch 12 to play singleplayer widescreen, so I guess that's something to consider. Still I hope they properly fix it one day, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I play all my old games in 4:3 using my GPU scaler. I don't really understand this obsession with widescreen mods.

Khorne

Arbiter
I play all my old games in 4:3 using my GPU scaler. I don't really understand this obsession with widescreen mods.
Not really an obsession, it's just that rts are more comfortable to play with a large horizontal field.
For me the broodwar is a much better game than sc2 in every other way, but the field is too small, feels claustrophobic after couple of hours in sc2 engine.
Maybe some other games have spoiled me, for example generals where you can just write whatever resolution into the ini file and it always renders and scales the field correctly.
Warcraft and broodwar can't do that properly, in 16:10 it's either skewed or zoomed with black borders and they did state multiple times the issue is unfair advantage in mp.
Why they say balance is a problem in old games and not a problem in sc2 and d3 is a mistery to me, or maybe it's a business decision rather than a technical issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom