Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Primordia - A Point and Click Adventure - Now Available

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Will answer in a sec (on phone), but first: is English your mother tongue? This question has come up approximately 20 times and never once from a native speaker, though we've never pinned down why this is so.

Yes, English is indeed my mother tongue. Thanks for taking the time to answer!

edit: I've spent some time thinking about this and I understand it now. It was my fault for not understanding the clause "exactly two" properly - it means only two out of all Factorbuilt robots share the same processor architecture, the corollary of which is the others need to be distinct from each other, which further leads to a maximum number of FOUR robots, according to these distributions:

LLMQ
MMQL or
QQML

Any further number would mean another duplicate set, which would invalidate the premise. Thus, three robots must have been built by Sturnweiler.

I perhaps would have rephrased the premise as "if only two Factorbuilt robots share the same type of processor architecture..." - but as I said, it's my fault for not properly grasping the meaning at first.

It was a great puzzle. Congratulations for having written it. And congratulations on the game, it's great!

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Damn, you have ruined my trend. Here I thought it revealed some oddity of how different cultures understand "only" vs. "exactly" because your substitution is the same on that they all propose (including a few who say that "exactly only" would be correct!). It's funny because to me, the two words are essentially synonymous but "exactly" carries a connotation of "neither more nor less than" while "only" carries a slight connotation of "no more than." For example, when we say, "Only 36 black rhinos still exist in the wild," the meaning we're trying to convey is that there are no more than 36; if it turned out there were fewer, that would strengthen our point. By contrast, "There are exactly 36 black rhinos still in the wild" would be proven wrong if it turned out there were 35. We are making a claim to specificity rather than asserting a ceiling.

At least, that's the way I understand it. But a significant number of players have raised the very complaint you make, and proposed the very solution. So, yeah....

Incidentally, the question is taken from a model LSAT (law school admissions test) problem with the costumes changed (I'm sure the root question is about lemonade stands or something). So the "exactly" was no doubt in the origin problem too. Given how litigious aspiring lawyers are, I assume that somewhere along the way it was decided that "exactly" was the most correct word to use there. But that also means I can't take any meaningful credit for the puzzle's structure, just for the costumes. (I do think that "Binomial Biennial" is a great turn of phrase...)

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the game. (Or are you still playing? Another common complaint is that the last part of the game is too short, and that is a grievance that is transcultural for sure.)

[EDIT: Possibly relevant to the question: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExactlyOne.html]

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We just broke 150,000 copies sold (including bundles and iOS) and >100,000 without bundles or iOS. So it took two years to get to 100k and two more to get 50k more, but the original 100k including 40k of bundles. The sales rate has actually been accelerating since year 2 -- basically we had a 70% drop from year one to year two, then a 36% increase from year two to three, and a 32% increase (or so, still waiting for last month, might be a little more) from year three to year four. I have to imagine that this will slow down eventually, though, but it's an ever-pleasant ever-surprising thing to tally up at year's end. (In terms of revenue to Wormwood, it's about even between year one and all other years combined.)

At some point we actually need to make a new game though. :D

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This proves that word of mouth works for quality indie releases. Especially when your game was the best point and click adventure of the recent years.

:thumbsup:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I realize "cutesy plush characters" is about as un-Codexian as it gets, but I still wanted to post this awesome work by two Primordia fans.
C1rc93sVEAQHUah.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, since nobody else seems up to the task...

Not made to scale,
rating_shit.png
/10.

Actually, they're great. I would buy either, or both. For my son, obviously. Yes, yes, obviously.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That weird feeling when Primordia is outselling TTON on GOG... :/

Obviously it's $2 apples to $50 oranges, but still not something I ever expected. Still, Oom patch should bring folks in.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Not even Thimbleweed Park has been able to do that. :/

EDIT: I spoke too soon. TP is now #1!

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If that diagram is right, it suggests that WEG has the worst cross marketing of all time. :D (Which doesn't seem to be true...)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Purple reporting in. Technobabylon had a lot of bad criticism so I never gave it a try.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I have all 3 games but I only finished Primordia which makes me a Orange guy!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom