Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

Mustawd

This guy apparently doesn't know shit about private equity. He talks about the SEC Edgar website, investment risks, and PE structure like it's some big conspiracy.

A lot of the things he mentions is boilerplate for public and private companies alike. :roll:

This video is a good reason why nonaccredited investors should not be allowed to be able to fund these kinds of ventures. They don't know the first thing about investing. All they know about it is what they see on Wall St movies.

EDIT: Actually he makes some good points on the accounting side. I'm impressed he read all that.

EDIT2: Hmm, not a bad vid. Would have to check the SEC site to see if all he said was true regarding fig, but I frankly don't give two shits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

This whole Fig shit just seems sleazy as fuck, Christ. Backed all three of InXile's Kickstarters, there is no fucking way I'm ever giving them one goddamn cent through Fig.:S

And yet they are swimming in money. Eat that haters! :smug:

No haters here, just one massive fanboy. I mean, come on, with all of the shit the guy's said and done in these past couple of years, is the 'hatred' some might have for him, really that out of line?:S Do you REALLY have to be a 'hater' to distrust the guy, to dislike the guy?

Nevermind. Don't answer that. Of course we're all just haters, hatin' on poor ol' Timmy. The guy's a saint, a prince among men even! I think you should double your investment into the game RIGHT NOW, to really stick it to us! Maybe even triple it!

Boleskine

Arcane
I have no idea why anybody continues to trust and give money to Tim Schafer.
Umm, because he makes fun games?

He made fun games...and those old games (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Psychonauts) are the main things keeping his company afloat. I'm not a hater - I liked Broken Age quite a bit but can't disagree with many criticisms of the game and its development.

Tim has burned through a great deal of goodwill he built up previously. If people still want to give him money that's their choice and right, but I just don't understand it.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
To be fair, if you back this project expecting it to arrive on time and to not go over-budget: you're a straight-up fucking idiot. With that being said, Double Fine has some good talent, although, they don't have much of a design team opting to own a larger focus in art.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
What has that talent produced in the last several years? I believe the woman originally behind Costume Quest left for Pixar a few years ago and :incloosive:of Massive Chalice fame was recently hired by Valve. Psychonauts wasn't a bad game but it's one where its hype/legend/nostalgia grossly overrates its quality. Probably the only title Schaefer could have dredged out to get people to still give him money after Double Fine's recent debacles.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Nathan "Bagel" Stapley, Art Director on Psychonauts and Brutal Legend, Scott Campbell and Peter Chan two of the concept artists that Tim has worked with for most of his great games and Erik Wolpaw, who is an amazing fucking writer.

Psychonauts wasn't a bad game but it's one where its hype/legend/nostalgia grossly overrates its quality.

Can't agree with this, I can replay this one any time and still have a great time with it. Don't even get the complaints about platforming, works fine with both keyboard/mouse and gamepad to me. Combat can get messy (sometimes depending on the choice of powers, other times inescapably so) but there's not too much of it to bring the game down much imo. Still remains one of my favorite games ever, along with Fallout1/2, Bloodlines, Thief 1/2, System Shock 2, Duke 3D, etc. It's funny how the very first game by Double Fine remains their most competent one.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey guise, I'm thinking on investing some money, what do you think is the safer investment? Fig or Bernie Madoff investment fund?

Androv

Novice
Just happy to see the fig is going well and that not everyone thinks Broken Age crowdfunding caused 9/11.

Silly Rabbit

Learned
So how long before this Ponzi scheme goes belly-up?

I honestly don't understand how anyone in their right mind can give Schafer even a penny after all the shit he pulled off.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I honestly don't understand how anyone in their right mind can give Schafer even a penny after all the shit he pulled off.
Just like how people buy the games of EA/Activision/Ubisoft, after releasing unplayable games. Tim gathered some bad PR, but the team still releases fun games. Their only mistep was SpaceBase. And most people are not interested in all the mud throwing which goes onin the gaming scene, they might not even read the news. They just look at one thing: Does Double Fine release games I like. Yes? Then here is my money.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Just like how people buy the games of EA/Activision/Ubisoft, after releasing unplayable games. Tim gathered some bad PR, but the team still releases fun games. Their only mistep was SpaceBase. And most people are not interested in all the mud throwing which goes onin the gaming scene, they might not even read the news. They just look at one thing: Does Double Fine release games I like. Yes? Then here is my money.

Did you actually pledge money towards this?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Did you actually pledge money towards this?
No, because my brother did and we will share the GOG copy.

Silly Rabbit

Learned

Don't know about that. I played both Broken Age and Massive Chalice and found them rather underwhelming, especially Broken Age which was admittedly beautiful but played like baby's first point and click adventure.
It also didn't help that the development was a complete mess.

I just don't trust Schafer with my money anymore especially not upfront and the Fig thing sounds shady as hell.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Don't know about that. I played both Broken Age and Massive Chalice and found them rather underwhelming, especially Broken Age which was admittedly beautiful but played like baby's first point and click adventure.
It also didn't help that the development was a complete mess.

I just don't trust Schafer with my money anymore especially not upfront and the Fig thing sounds shady as hell.
No problem here, if you don't feel comfortable with giving him money, then don't do it. Totally understandable. But there are many people who enjoy his games, so it is not hard to see why people support Double Fine.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
No problem here, if you don't feel comfortable with giving him money, then don't do it. Totally understandable. But there are many people who enjoy his games, so it is not hard to see why people support Double Fine.

Then again, a large number of people are fucking idiots.

Pre-ordering a game is a gamble, crowdfunding (anything) is a bigger gamble, but crowdfunding a man with a KNOWN record of mismanaging finances, with an optional investment scheme that has "SCAM" written all over it, as outlined by several long-winded videos? That's not a gamble, that's just throwing money down the drain.

I for one (and sometimes I feel like a lonely sod for doing this) either avoid or flat-out refuse to give money to developers and publishers that screw with their customers like that, especially when all they're offering is a suitcase of dreams. Supporting a dev is one thing, but a dubious dev only deserves support if he delivers, and Schafer and Double Fine are dubious as fuck right now and haven't delivered anything of note lately.

The worst part about all of this will not be the money that you your brother may end up losing if this falls through, but that there have been scams like these COUNTLESS TIMES before, and yet people NEVER seem to get the picture: If it looks too good to be true, it is. And instead of setting an example and letting people avoid such scams in the future, people rush like lemmings to the next one.

Mark Twain was absolutely right about suckers being born every minute.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Then again, a large number of people are fucking idiots.

Pre-ordering a game is a gamble, crowdfunding (anything) is a bigger gamble, but crowdfunding a man with a KNOWN record of mismanaging finances, with an optional investment scheme that has "SCAM" written all over it, as outlined by several long-winded videos? That's not a gamble, that's just throwing money down the drain.

I for one (and sometimes I feel like a lonely sod for doing this) either avoid or flat-out refuse to give money to developers and publishers that screw with their customers like that, especially when all they're offering is a suitcase of dreams. Supporting a dev is one thing, but a dubious dev only deserves support if he delivers, and Schafer and Double Fine are dubious as fuck right now and haven't delivered anything of note lately.

The worst part about all of this will not be the money that you your brother may end up losing if this falls through, but that there have been scams like these COUNTLESS TIMES before, and yet people NEVER seem to get the picture: If it looks too good to be true, it is. And instead of setting an example and letting people avoid such scams in the future, people rush like lemmings to the next one.

Mark Twain was absolutely right about suckers being born every minute.
Look, you really think that they won't make Psyho 2? That would be a suicide and they know that. That's why they did finish Broken Age despite all of the hardships. Fucking Brian Fargo and Feargus are also running Fig, do you really think they would risk their good name just to help Tim run away with the money? They might mismanage the project again, but they will make the game, and as a customer, that's all I care.

an optional investment scheme that has "SCAM" written all over it, as outlined by several long-winded videos?
Yes, but those videos all presume the worst, like Tim Schafer is the devil who made this fig shit with Fargo and Feargus just to run away the money. No, they collect the money to make Psychonauts 2 and they will do it.

and Schafer and Double Fine are dubious as fuck right now and haven't delivered anything of note lately.
Ah, the usual Codex attitude of "I don't like their game so they haven't made anything". While in fact DF produced around a dozen games since their founding, and with the exception of Spacebase, all of them met with positive reception from gamers (or at worst mixed). NOT FROM THE CODEX but from the mainstream audiance, which is the target demographic of Double Fine.

So, the reason for people giving money to Tim is that despite all the hardships, they produce games which people like. There was only one time they fucked up and that is Spacebase. Broken Age was delayed, but in the end we got the game, and for many pepole that is the point. To get the game. Not to talk and rage about behind the scenes development stuff. Why is it so hard to understand that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom