Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Rare archaeological evidence of actual game journalism

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some old UK gaming rag.

4b03857e3f.png

EA whined about the above review, after which the reviewer was told to "stick to the facts":

BrYu67YCAAANx_u.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aye PC Zone were generally alright back in day, that Charlie Brooker bloke used to work there an a few others, Rhianna Pratchett etc. Reminds me that bitch gid single player campaign o NWN1 a glowing review, right load o shit. One o editors a tech bloke who liked his old style stuff, experimented wi givin games reasonable scores, you know less than usual 8 is average, but he were soon pushed out an it went back to same shit.

pippin

Sims' expansion packs were a different story, but back in the day the reaction towards expansion packs was kinda "meh". 90% of the times it was seen as an attempt to make a cash grab more than anything else.
Today people praise DLCs even when they aren't being bribed by the companies.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I think a lot of that had to do with how they got their money back in the day. When these magazines were in print and the internet wasn't all that widely available or was slow as hell, people would either subscribe to these magazines or buy them from a store and. therefore, those magazines were not completely beholden to ad money but to their direct consumers. Now, with printed magazines going the way of the dodo, people don't need to subscribe or buy anything to get reviews but those in the business still need money and that money comes from ad revenue which comes from the AAA publishers themselves and that is why they write reviews they way they do.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It was also harder to get info about games from other sources, so gamers often relied on magazines to help decide what games to buy. Once you get burned by a turd that got glowing reviews you start looking for a different magazine to buy.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was also harder to get info about games from other sources, so gamers often relied on magazines to help decide what games to buy. Once you get burned by a turd that got glowing reviews you start looking for a different magazine to buy.

And now it's the opposite - if you find a site that hurts your precious bellyfeels by suggesting a game that you just :d1p: 'ed is not quite 100% perfect you explode in an impotent rage on Twatbook and look for the next one that only thinks happy thoughts.

You can't make this shit up.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I was never a fan of the cor blimey "humor" of UK gaming mag writers.

"When is a door not a door? When it's ajar" - ST Format quote ca. 1994 and was the funniest thing they ever wrote. Downhill from there.

Groaner after groaner. Still subscribed to the bastards, because no internet at the time. Cover disks were sweet.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I like the "Deep abyss instead of a soul" right in the middle of all those IKEA products.

Sims content packs would become far, far worse though.

WARNING MAY TRIGGER EXTREME NAUSEA:

latest

pippin

-Hey, we've been forced by EA to make yet another pointless DLC, this time with Katy Perry. We have to name it now. Any ideas?
-*looks at Katy Perry's cleavage* ...how about.... "Sweet Treats"?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why not both? Katy Perry's treats will be even sweeter when enjoyed in a MALM® king size bed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, when I think about king-sized beds, an IKEA frame would definitely be way up there at the top of my list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom