Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rayman: Origins

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

After failing to sell anything on the consoles this cute 2d platformer is now nearing release on pc. I was amazed it didn't sell like hotcakes and do hope the pc version will do better since it really is an amazingly cool game. A fun, challenging platformer with great level design that not only looks stunning but also plays great and is full of charm. And somehow noone is interested. WTF? I swear that I don't know how Michel Ancel keeps getting up in the morning.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Great game. I got the impression it had sold well, but only 50k in the first month? Christ :( had a lot of fun playing it with my flatmates. Feel like it could actually have been harder towards the end, but for a platformer today, it was brilliantly challenging and played so well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I don't remember the exact price, but i remember that it was too high for a 2D platformer with flash gfx, a lot of people were complaining about it.

FFS. This is what is wrong with gaming. A cartoony 2d style is, no matter how detailed, flash gfx and thus the game is, no matter how good, per defenition too expensive. Linking price to teh latest graphical gimmicks is the exact same thinking that has given us a zillion bloomy fps's.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
According to Steam this is going to cost 30 euros on PC,I don't know how long it is but it seems a bit expensive.

Is it going to include the usual Ubisoft anal probing DRM?If not I might get it on the next Steam sale

lightbane

Arcane
So, the best platforming game of the year receives little attention, yet Mario game number 2910 is acclaimed as "best game ever", right? :decline:
Also, it DOES get harder at the end, the last levels are very challenging and the secret level is as hard as the original Rayman 1 game (aka ball-busting hard).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yeah, it's sad when such a genuinely good and fun game gets barely any notice.
I don't remember the exact price, but i remember that it was too high for a 2D platformer with flash gfx, a lot of people were complaining about it.
the price is some 2/3rds of a new big publisher console or pc title and the game deserves every single penny. heck, it's worth owning on consoles and pc both.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Tried the demo it was awesome. I haven't played a good 2D platformer in ages, can't wait till tomorrow the 29th to get my hands on the full version.

EDIT: Shit its not coming out tomorrow. Well I can wait 3 more days...

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game's pure platforming goodness, a real throwback omage to the 90's Rayman. While I still sort of miss the spooky, more fantasy vibe of Rayman 2 (one of the bigger games that 'marked' my childhood), I still cannot love this here gem, with it's level design, beautiful music, funny atmosphere, and overall goodtimes vibe. A real shame it's not as hyped as it rightfully deserves.

gromit

Arcane
Flash fucking graphics, he says. More like hand-painted art mixed with some of the hottest-shit vector transforms I've ever seen. Hawt hawt tweening action. I like the direction this engine is pointed, and if you hate the "flash" style, then you should too. When not using "painted" keyframes, it's more concerned with moving and shaping the actual lines... at it's best, that's the old joke about a thousand animators rapidly drawing the show before a live audience.

At least they were smart enough to settle on an art style without limbs ~15 years ago... that way it could've looked "nice" even if they cheaped out.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've played the demo and it was pretty good save for an obvious flaw every platformer just has to suffer from nowadays.

Infinite lives.

Wulfstand

Prophet
You know, a thought just struck me: what if Rayman Origins had a INDIEEEUUUUHHH team working behind it? would if had had a bigger buzz on the market? I just can't explain why more people aren't attracted towards this game, and yet are praising Super Meat Boy and what have you. I don't get it, this game is equally good, if not even better for some, what with the gorgeous scenery and awesome soundtrack, not to mention the coop. It boggles the mind.

spekkio

Arcane
^

1) AAAA games: cutting-edge 2005 3D grafix + MOAR bloom. Huge marines shooting aliens. Gay romances. Boobs. Bad controls.
2) Indie games: shitty graphics, platformer or adventure game, 2D, bad controls

Rayman: does not fit into one of the above.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If Rayman 2 didn't sell well, it means there is little hope left for Beyond Good&Evil 2, which is quite sad.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
^

1) AAAA games: cutting-edge 2005 3D grafix + MOAR bloom. Huge marines shooting aliens. Gay romances. Boobs. Bad controls.
2) Indie games: shitty graphics, platformer or adventure game, 2D, bad controls

Rayman: does not fit into one of the above.
You also forgot that Indie games are "quirky" and "artistic."

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I love platformers and I think the Rayman games are some of the best despite me spending way less time with them than I'd like. I read an article lately about Ubisoft's approach to designing the game and it was very informative, and only made me want to try out the game even more. Still, it's a bit much... maybe I'll pick it up when it's $20 or less. I just have trouble justifying spending that much money on a game unless I'm really, really interested in it and/or I don't have anything else to play. Plus, my "full price quota" has already been met by Wasteland 2.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Installing now. I have fond (in a Stockholm syndrome kind of way) memories of the first Rayman, tried the second for the first time a month or so back and it just didn't grab me.

EDIT - At 1080 resolution it seems the video files have been upscaled resulting in pixellation, kind of sloppy considering the graphical style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom