Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reboot Develop 2016: State of the RPG Genre Panel with Brian Fargo, Swen Vincke and Dan Vavra

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tomorrow at 10 CET.

Brian Fargo, Dan Vavra, Chris Avellone, Swen Vincke – mod Damir Durovic
PANEL – State of RPG genre, the old, the new and the beautiful

It'll probably be some time before a video of this comes out, but making a thread for Twitter posts, writeups or whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.develop-online.net/news/...t-matter-if-the-game-is-easy-to-learn/0219814

The state of RPGs: 'Complexity doesn't matter if the game is easy to learn'
6ece70dae699d1d86c080f32de19f8d0.jpg

Brian Fargo, Larian Studios and Warhorse say lengthy games are a necessity in the genre

RPG experts claim that any title can appeal to the mainstream providing it is accessible – no matter how in-depth the mechanics are.

Reboot Develop hosted a panel discussion today with InXile’s Brian Fargo, Warhorse’ Dan Vavra and Larian Studios’ Sven Vincke, in which they pondered the perception that RPGs are overly complicated and ‘just for nerds’.

“It’s simply not true,” said Vavra, whose studio is working on medieval RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance. “Everyone wants to play RPGs if they have something they like. The complexity doesn’t matter, providing the mechanics aren’t hard to learn and there’s plenty to do.”

The important thing is to present the game’s complexities – whether that’s the levelling systems and character stats or the gameplay mechanics – in an accessible way. Stats screens are certainly something to consider avoiding.

“If you turn the game on and the screen’s full of numbers, it pushes people away,” said Fargo, one of the creative minds behind the original Fallout games and more recently Wasteland 2. “But if you oversimplify it, you push the hardcore away. You have to bridge those worlds together.”

Vinkce, from Divinity developer Larian, added: “If you have a number, you have to make sure it matters. Increasing it, such as when you level up, needs to have a gameplay effect. That makes it easier to learn for the player because they see what changes.”

Vavra agreed, adding: “It’s all a question of your interface. If you make an accessible, clever UI, you can be as complex as you wish.”

Discussing the length of RPGs, all three acknowledged that titles promising 100+ hours of content can seem intimidating, but it’s something of a necessity for keeping the genre’s core audience happy.

“The problem is if you make an RPG too short, a lot of people will be dissatisfied because they don’t get the full experience – and those people are the influencers,” said Vincke.

“There’s definitely room for shorter RPGs, but the market makes it difficult to push them through.”

Vavra added: “Because there are so many mechanics, it takes time to show and develop them. You can’t do an RPG in eight hours because for some games that’s just the tutorial.”

Fargo adds that players often just want to know there’s a lot of content in the game – even if they don’t intend to play it.

“They’ll play 30 to 40 hours, and they might never finish the main story, but they feel a lot better knowing there’s 100 yours of stuff,” he said.

This can seemingly lead to frustration among developers, who spent months creating something that most players may never see, but the panel agrees that this is part of the freedom RPGs give to players.

“Unseen content goes hand-in-hand with narrative depth,” says Fargo, adding that players would be dissatisfied if there was only one way to complete certain parts of a game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
ibqqgo.gif

“If you turn the game on and the screen’s full of numbers, it pushes people away,” said Fargo, one of the creative minds behind the original Fallout games and more recently Wasteland 2. “But if you oversimplify it, you push the hardcore away. You have to bridge those worlds together.”

Vavra agreed, adding: “It’s all a question of your interface. If you make an accessible, clever UI, you can be as complex as you wish.”
fytonn.gif

Those are the people speaking for the CRPG genre..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer's more or less said the same thing and he's correct, information should be presented in a clear, concise way. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
FYI Fargo was the one who gave it the title "Fallout" and he was responsible for perks, which had a yuge impact on RPGs going forward (D&D copied 'em with feats then a bunch of people copied D&D).

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
FYI Fargo was the one who gave it the title "Fallout" and he was responsible for perks, which had a yuge impact on RPGs going forward
I knew this years before I actually watched Tim Cain's GDC talk where he mentions it. Doesn't change the fact that naming a game and suggesting perks means he's the creative fucking mind behind it. That would imply he built the world lore or the critical path, neither of which were his.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Fargo's greatest influence on Fallout may be indirectly through Wasteland, which Tim Cain was clearly mirroring to some extent in his design. Maybe Michael Stackpole should be credited as a co-creator of Fallout. :M

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They just got it from GURPS, and every other RPG around at that time also had those. What the fuck did Fargo actually do?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They just got it from GURPS, and every other RPG around at that time also had those. What the fuck did Fargo actually do?

If you're referring to perks, GURPS didn't have those because it has no levels. You're thinking of what became Fallout's traits. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I must admit that it's hard for me to believe that Fallout was the source of the feat concept. Maybe we can get somebody at inXile to ask Monte Cook about it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I must admit that it's hard for me to believe that Fallout was the source of the feat concept. Maybe we can get somebody at inXile to ask Monte Cook about it.

Well Wolfman Cain seems to think he did it.

AqZDamh.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom