Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendation of rogue-lite games

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Risk of Rain is pretty good. It has an alien-like soundtrack, the combat system is really good, and the items you get stack really well, although they are obviously not as interesting as Isaac. The difficulty system is also interesting (the longer you take to kill enemies, the harder it gets), and it is overall a solid experience.
Too bad it's considerably short and lacks content compared to even Rogue Legacy.

Also, don't fucking get Pixel Piracy. Don't.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like Lost Labyrinth. You don't need to invest too deeply into playing a session, and the basics are simple, but you can get a lot of mileage out of the different character builds you can create and the random situations the game throws at you. It is actually quite an old game, but it is still being supported with multiple languages, an online high score table, and apparently even multiplayer (only ever tried SP).

mainscreen.jpg

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I like Lost Labyrinth. You don't need to invest too deeply into playing a session, and the basics are simple, but you can get a lot of mileage out of the different character builds you can create and the random situations the game throws at you. It is actually quite an old game, but it is still being supported with multiple languages, an online high score table, and apparently even multiplayer (only ever tried SP).

I like how even their website screams 90s/00s. The fact that it's free also helps, even though it still looks like crap.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In proper order, I second DoomRl, Spelunky (freeware version trumps paid version), Eldritch and FTL. NEO Scavenger also looks interesting.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I've had fun with Pixel Dungeon and forks while waiting for planes. Definitely 'Lite' but still pretty decent for instant pick up / put down.

Also Elona is kinda cool in a JRPG Roguelike way.

I say fuck the lite part though, play a real RL. I recommend Zangband highly.

Inspectah

Savant
Sad to see only one dude recommending Teleglitch, it's an awesome game.
Cataclysm DDA is amazing too, but may be a bit overwhelming to people not used to true rogue-likes

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've recently had some fun playing Death Road to Canada.

Also Enter the Gungeon is good twin stick shooter.

edit.
Might as well mention Renowned Explorers since it's probably my most played game during current year.

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I had fun with Enter the Gungeon and Rogue Legacy.

20XX is supposed to be roguelike megaman.

Half minute hero, Conquest of Elysium 4.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Baroque

PS1 version ofc. Lack of translation doesn't add much to the difficulty -- there are icons for weapons and armor, most of the item descriptions are fairly informative (e.g. HP+50 among all these kanji characters, the rest of the items have different effects and iirc even in the translated remake they aren't that informative. Avoid PS2/Wii version at all costs.)

Fryjar

Augur
Hey guys,

pulling this one up again as I'm in the mood for some rouge-lites. Are there any good new entries since the thread has last been updated?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not new but Occult chronicles is worth a mention. It may be my favourite video game from recent years although it's not that recent anymore. Delightful board game presentation, cool horror setting, it uses a very good character system, with a lot of freedom but still requiring you to adapt to what you find during a game, and focuses on exploration among randomly placed events where you're presented different choices testing different stats. Be careful though', the stat checks are resolved through a card minigame so if it's not your thing you may not like it but otherwise I recommend at least trying the demo available here.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Deadnaut and Bomber Crew.
Those games have very dissimilar mood and visual style, but in both difficulty comes from game's attempt to overwhelm players attention by piling crisis upon crisis on real time environment where pausing isn't possible.

I haven't seen such "omg, omg I'm gonna panic and die!" -games since 1993 version of Space Hulk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom