Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Faction

Secretninja

Cipher
Was anyone else thoroughly surprised/disappointed when they popped it in and realize that they had bought gears of war with terrorism?

Multi-headed Cow

Disappointed? From what I've been hearing and seen, it looks better than I would have thought from a new Red Faction game.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
It was a bit disappointed (demo on PS3), all chaos and demolition was fine if not for one thing quite big thing, there was no destructive terrain. This probably Xbox fault for being such a piece of shit and limiting other platforms.

Luzur

Good Sir
what? no destructive terrain/environs?!

but..but..but thats what Red Faction was all about!

"make your own ways trough the levels"

Multi-headed Cow

That is a bit disappointing. Being able to completely destroy all buildings does sound to make up for it a bit though.

DraQ

Arcane
Seeing that there is nothing in the title that might suggest otherwise, this thread is now about RF1.

Which was a fine game, with somewhat cinematic feel.
Too bad it didn't make better use of geo-mod.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Volition still hold the rights to Freespace? If so: Why the fuck arn't they making a new Freespace instead of this shit?

Red Faction 1 was banal, shit and boring. The new one looks interesting for the fully destructible buildings, but... not much else.

I hope you're kidding

Andhaira

Arcane
No he's right. Thats really what red faction was about. I remember freshman year in college some dude was all impressed and shoed by how deep a pit he could dig using exposives.

Luzur

Good Sir
Admiral jimbob said:
Red Faction 1 was banal, shit and boring. The new one looks interesting for the fully destructible buildings, but... not much else.

I hope you're kidding

nope, thats why i first tried it out.

Quilty

Magister
Stereotypical Villain said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Volition still hold the rights to Freespace? If so: Why the fuck arn't they making a new Freespace instead of this shit?

My thoughts exactly. The new RF seems too gimmicky and bland to me.

I need another Freespace, not more console games.

Luzur said:
Admiral jimbob said:

I hope you're kidding

nope, thats why i first tried it out.

And it was never really the case. You couldn't blow up any wall, you could blow up specific walls the developer wanted you to in order to progress. It was different in the multiplayer, but the so-called Geomod in the campaign was a useless, limited gimmick.

DraQ

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
And it was never really the case. You couldn't blow up any wall, you could blow up specific walls the developer wanted you to in order to progress. It was different in the multiplayer, but the so-called Geomod in the campaign was a useless, limited gimmick.
A shame, really. They failed to think out of the box and allow non-linear progress through the levels, so they ended up making the strongest thing about the game a useless gimmick.

Destroid

Arcane
Rf1 was also a decent singleplayer shooter. I finished it at least (which probably speaks to length more than anything else) and thats more than I can say for most shooters.

Wasn't expecting much from RFG, on account of how massively they ballsed up RF2. In fact from the preview trailers it looked pretty much like a random cash-in attempt. Third person? No destructable terrain? wtf.

But I played the demo anyway.

Holy fuck yes. Buying it tomorrow. Listen, you guys, I know I'm a Bethesda-defending scrub with barely a dozen posts to my name. But seriously. This game is awesome. It is the most hilariously fun shit since EDF 2017. I thought that no destructable terrain would suck, but it doesn't - if anything, it just demonstrates what a gimmick it was. I've done more awesome shit in this ten minute demo than I did in all of Red Faction in terms of using geo-mod to get things done.

Silellak

Cipher
The One True Gamer said:
Wasn't expecting much from RFG, on account of how massively they ballsed up RF2. In fact from the preview trailers it looked pretty much like a random cash-in attempt. Third person? No destructable terrain? wtf.

But I played the demo anyway.

Holy fuck yes. Buying it tomorrow. Listen, you guys, I know I'm a Bethesda-defending scrub with barely a dozen posts to my name. But seriously. This game is awesome. It is the most hilariously fun shit since EDF 2017. I thought that no destructable terrain would suck, but it doesn't - if anything, it just demonstrates what a gimmick it was. I've done more awesome shit in this ten minute demo than I did in all of Red Faction in terms of using geo-mod to get things done.

I had no interest in the game - in fact I'd never played a single Red Faction game - but I tried the SP demo last week, and it almost convinced me to buy the game outright. I settled for just renting it from Gamefly, though.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
You two, remember to leave some fucking feedback how the game holds out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom