Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift going free to play

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Allthough the defiant sounds more interesting conceptually I don't care much for playing a muslim, djinn or na'vi. But if both factions can group together I guess it doesn't matter? Or do they get different endgame gear and stuff?

It doesn't matter beyond questing I think. But although guardian lore is stupid dumb, the models for dwarves, elves and humans are pretty good :M

Plus, GHETTO DWARF MAN

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
raptr has acquired more keys for their giveaway. I just redeemed mine.

Stat wise both get identical gear even though some are market Guardian only and some Defiant only. Graphically there might be differences, especially in the vanilla game. Expansion and endgame, everything should be identical.

One odd thing about the development team is that they are flat out forcing hardcores and min-maxers to do PvP as one BiS item is a PvP grind item. The players don't want to PvP but Trion wants to get the PvE people to queue as well. They know this well and it is designed such. Don't worry about the item unless you plan on HC raiding or because you get nightmares because you lose approx. 0.37% of maximum theoretical DPS.

If peeps here get a codex guild together I can't wait to see what you come up with the dimension system for a guild hall. Maybe get Prosper to decorate.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So can Kwanzanians like myself play with you Eurofags? Also how would this run on a severely dated system?

Multi-headed Cow

So can Kwanzanians like myself play with you Eurofags? Also how would this run on a severely dated system?

Yep, unlike WoW you can choose if you wanna play on EU or NA servers. And supposedly they give you a server transfer once a week though who knows if they'll keep that up once it goes free to play. As for performance, may be shit. If you crank the graphics back it might help but I heard it's pretty hungry for CPU which reduced graphics may not help much with.

Buddy who was duoing with my dwarf is already sick of it so now I'm duoing with my long time WoW buddy who seems to be largely enjoying it. He's going fire wizard and I'm going tank warrior, and he's going flower picking an alchemy while I'm going mining and... Armorsmithing since there's no engineering equivalent. By and large recreating our WoW characters. Definitely glad it's free to play, since it's enjoyable to load up and play for a bit with my buddy and then not feel driven to keep playing 'cause I'm spending $15 a month on it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh is this the game where there are no true healers? Boring.

Multi-headed Cow

Oh is this the game where there are no true healers? Boring.
No, pretty you could be a true healer if you wanted. It's just that you can kinda sorta dual class so if you want a healer/fighter paladin hybrid type character you could do something like that too.

Haven't played cleric yet in this so I can't say with complete certainty though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There are definetely true healers. It's just that the four base classes can spec a wide variety of roles. At 60, you can have 6 "roles" handy, switching between specs. I'm playing cleric, and one of my specs will be dedicated raid healing (AoE) while another will be dungeon healing (single target).

I've already told MHC he should join Europe. I played a bit on NA, and the ping wasn't that bad.

As for graphics, fullscreen instead of windowed fullscreen helps a ton on this games performance. It seems to run extremely steadily unless there are tons of players on screen. Then bad computers need low settings.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I've decided to follow the stock SpellSword roll for now. Seems pretty powerful so far.

Oh, and Icewatch was really pumping last night. I'm not sure if it was the raptr competition starting up again or if it's just normal, but holy hell. I struggled to complete my quests in the tutorial area because there were so many people contending for the enemies to complete the quests.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ following the default purposes is a good idea for starting players. They're pretty good and designed by devs + top players. I'm following them as well until I get a good handle on the system.

EDIT: We need one platinum and 5 players to start a guild btw. The 5 players are easy enough (we already have like 12 or 15) but the plat is a bit far away for now until the game goes F2P.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:salute:

'Fanabina' is my charname :D

I'll need to wait before I reach experienced in RAPTR and get Storm Legion before I can establish the guild though, but I'll do it ASAP.

Multi-headed Cow

Played a bunch with my WoW buddy this evening. Got up to 2 plat, then promptly spent a plat buying 4 8 slot bags. I looked on the AH but it appeared that unlike WoW, crafted bags are expensive as shit compared to vendor bags. Of course there are BIGGER bags on the AH but just buying shitty bags from a vendor should tide me over.

We also did a bunch of instant adventure stuff which was kinda cool.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I actually played RIFT when it came out, for 30 minutes... then uninstalled. Same happened to LOTRO.

The question is, is current RIFT better than current LOTRO?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I actually played RIFT when it came out, for 30 minutes... then uninstalled. Same happened to LOTRO.

Can't speak to LOTRO's gameplay, but the F2P model so far looks to be leagues better.

As for RIFT's gameplay, it's basically an extremely polished edition of WoW with a bunch of additions to Shit You Can Do.

When Rift hits F2P next month, yes, it'll be shit miles better than LOTRO F2P. Rift is the most unlimited F2P I know of. No gear restrictions, no zone restrictions, no instance or raid restrictions, no quest restrictions. In LOTRO you either have to grind like a retard with two toons killing neekerbeekers or what shit to get enough free turbine points to do basic shit (quests, bag space, feat slots), or you need to actually cough up money. Played LOTRO last month when all the 10y. celebrations were going on and it was shit as F2P.

Gameplay and content wise Rift leveling is miles better than LOTRO. Cannot speak of endgame as only got to 35ish on LOTRO.

Rift is extremely CPU limited. Got a GTX Titan? Well fuck you. You'll still crawl like someone running it on a GTX 650. CPU is everything for Rift.

And IIRC F2P players can also server change once a week, but they are thinking of adding a server change token to the item shop if you for some bizarre reason need to transfer twice or more a week.

There are true healers and you can swap between specs in the middle of an instance, raid, anywhere. Almost everyone has multiple roles ready, specced and gear with them.

made

Arcane
they reworked all souls and macros aren't really needed anymore.
Sounds good. Might give it another go sometime once it's f2p. Messing around with the souls and trying various builds was the game's main draw imo. That and instant dungeon queues because pretty much anyone could tank or heal if they only wanted to.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
5 plat sent grunker.

Just came to mind: I'm not on Icewatch yet because until today I just used a free account (just got the game via the RAPTR deal) :eek:

So if you're on Icewatch, you sent the money to the wrong Fanabina, or mail will be returned to sender?

Castanova

Prophet
Which Calling/Souls do you guys think is the most "fun?" My friend and I will be duo-ing the game once it goes F2P and he will inevitably pick the Mage calling so I need to choose from Cleric, Rogue, and Warrior. I assume Warrior is pretty boring so that leaves Cleric or Rogue. From my initial research, it sounds like Rogues have the same mechanic that Rogues did in WoW which is OK I guess. I'm assuming the Cleric mechanic is just normal mana?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
5 plat sent grunker.

Just came to mind: I'm not on Icewatch yet because until today I just used a free account (just got the game via the RAPTR deal) :eek:

So if you're on Icewatch, you sent the money to the wrong Fanabina, or mail will be returned to sender?

o_O well, it was only 5 platin...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom