Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rogue system - new space sim

DakaSha

Arcane
may as well just have some dramatic music with a black screen with white writing saying: Gonna make a gud game

Angthoron

Arcane
You'll be able to eat other spaceships in order to gain their abilities and regenerate some HPs.

DraQ

Arcane
Yup. Newtonian, plus full scale systems, plus time compression.
Looks like Frontier with detailed craft system simulation and mission-based gameplay, with freeplay still available.

Stop hurpadurping guys.
The original Frontier was also done by a one-man team, and last time I checked you didn't care about AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ gaming any more.
It's at the very least promising.

7h30n

Augur
Yup. Newtonian, plus full scale systems, plus time compression.
Looks like Frontier with detailed craft system simulation and mission-based gameplay, with freeplay still available.

Stop hurpadurping guys.
The original Frontier was also done by a one-man team, and last time I checked you didn't care about AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+ gaming any more.
It's at the very least promising.
And with various speeds of planet orbits :D

This got me hyped on space sims, which one should I play until this gets released?

Captain Shrek

^Wait for it.

If any genre has burned gamers with false expectations it is Space-combat/trade sims.

DraQ

Arcane
And with various speeds of planet orbits :D

This got me hyped on space sims, which one should I play until this gets released?
If Newtonian and realistic planetary systems where everything orbits and shit get you hyped, the you should play old Frontier: Elite 2 from 1993. It's sequel - Frontier: First Encounters (provided it's patched AND you play it with engine port like JJFFE or D3DFFE, still buggy, though), or its unofficial community driven remake Pioneer (that's still in its early stages, though).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I RAISE YOU RELATIVISM TO YOUR SHITTY POPAMOLE NEWTONIAN

Brianetta

Novice
...or its unofficial community driven remake Pioneer (that's still in its early stages, though).
Early stages, perhaps, but it's very playable. Saved games aren't compatible between versions yet, but that's close.

Hello. I'm Brian Ronald, one of Pioneer's developers. I found this forum through my periodic web search for mentions of Pioneer.

Yesterday I finished the first stages of a new feature for Pioneer. Once included in the game, ships will be able to have crew. The reason I've come here to mention this is because of the way the crew works. Last year, I wrote a character sheet system into Pioneer, loosely inspired by GURPS. The crew members are each defined by a character sheet. They don't have normal tabletop stats like hit points and strength, but they do have space ship skills and things like intelligence, charisma, etc. They attempt to roll under their stats using a simulated 4d16 (with side-effects for critical rolls) and they can be re-used in other parts of the game, such as missions, if they're taken away from your crew. The internal workings are hidden from the player.

Just thought you might like to know that. (-:

Pioneer is free software (GPL3) and works on most computers. A new alpha test version is released every single month.
www.pioneerspacesim.net

Kirtai

Augur
Games or it didn't happen.
I'm actually surprised there are no relativistic single player space sims. The visual effects and behaviour I've seen in relativity demo tools are deeply weird and would probably be quite interesting to play with.

Though given the absolute dearth of even newtonian space sims maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. I can't wait for Pioneer.

Brianetta

Novice
Here be Codexians. Perhaps we should make that a faction in Pioneer.

The physics aren't toggleable. They couldn't be. It's not just a case of "yeah, your ship has inertia and drifts a lot." You start on Earth, with zero on your speedometer. Thing is, Earth itself is moving at thirty clicks per second around the sun, while the speed of Earth's rotation at Los Angeles (where you start) is nearly 1,400 km/h. Gravity is 1G on the surface, and Gates Starport is hanging in high orbit, but not quite as high as the moon. You can't just switch off physics there, because there's absolutely no other way for the game to do anything without writing a new engine for it.

Relativity was considered, but the maths is way more complex for pretty much the same effect on the small scales. It's not completely Newtonian, anyway - it's more like how Jules Verne described it in Voyage to the Moon. Only one moon, planet or star exerts a gravitational force on you at any given time.

Anyway, I'm feeling like I might be usurping somebody's Rogue thread. Kirtal: Why are you waiting? Pioneer will never be so completely done that we actually call it done. It's a big-ish download, and you might find that you hate it. Those are the only things you have to lose.

Brianetta

Novice
Aren't intelligence and charisma normal tabletop stats anyway?
They are; it's the physical ones that don't exist, mainly because the characters never manifest physically. The numeric stats included by default are:

playerRelationship - How much the character likes the player
luck - What you roll against when you can't decide what to roll against
intelligence - This is only used to determine whether experience improves a character's ship skills right now
charisma - Yeah, that
notoriety - How likely a character is to be recognised
lawfulness - How much a character cares about the law
engineering - Handiness with ship hulls, repairs, etc
piloting - Flying, fighting success
navigation - Finding places
sensors - Finding things

Other attributes can be added on the fly, but the ones above are the only ones with non-zero defaults. A critical success exercises the attribute, a critical failure abuses it. The player has a character sheet too, although things like "piloting" don't get used at all. The character sheet has all the rest of teh character information within it as well, such as employment contracts, a record of kills, assists, etc.

All characters other than the player are NPCs, because Pioneer is (and will always be) single player. People often ask for multiplayer, but the scale of real astronomical physics requires the ability to fast-forward time (or a remarkable boredom threshold) which is hard to marry with multiplayer.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Did someone say maths?

You'll be able to eat other spaceships in order to gain their abilities and regenerate some HPs.

Isn't the usual roguelike thing eating corpses to regain nutrition? Wouldn't the equivalent be fuel? Don't you actually do that in most games set in space anyways, blow ships up and salvage fuel and equipment? I think your joke was actually pretty on the nose.

Alas, the trailer didn't show much of anything besides graphics and I don't get a hardon for physics so much as customization and modularity of ships. Probably not my kind of game.

Destroid

Arcane
I really can't help but wonder at the apparent glut of indie and crowdfunded space sims lately, when it seemed that the entire genre had been languishing for the better part of a decade in terms of commercial releases.

Kirtai

Augur
Relativity was considered, but the maths is way more complex for pretty much the same effect on the small scales. It's not completely Newtonian, anyway - it's more like how Jules Verne described it in Voyage to the Moon. Only one moon, planet or star exerts a gravitational force on you at any given time.

Anyway, I'm feeling like I might be usurping somebody's Rogue thread. Kirtal: Why are you waiting? Pioneer will never be so completely done that we actually call it done. It's a big-ish download, and you might find that you hate it. Those are the only things you have to lose.
I doubt I'd hate it given how much I played Frontier on my Amiga :)

My main interest in relativity were the funky visual effects, time dilation as a factor in combat and, of course RKVs. Besides the :obviously: factor of course.

Incidentally, is there any intention to have more accurate (multi-body) physics, programmable autopilots (or ships in general) that can use orbital mechanics or replacing/extending the generated galaxy with real world starcharts? Not right away of course, but in future.

You may have noticed I'm a space fan :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom