Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Routine - Upcoming First Person Space Horror

Gozma

Arcane
Might be some cumulative design where you can lose a "character" without losing all progress.

Peter

Arcane
God damn, that latest video looks good. Love the atmosphere. The look of the station, the PA announcements and general ambiance give me System Shock 2 vibes in a way that no other sci-fi horror game I've seen or played has. Loving the retro-future thing and the clunky designs of robots and the weapon. Very strong art design, exceeding the biggest AAAs. I'm sure someone on the team must have a background in graphic design or something.

Not a fan of horror games in general, but I'm very excited for this one, since it looks like hard(-ish)/contemplative sci-fi done right in a video game, which is all too rare. Incredibly impressive for a 4-people team.

Dexter

Arcane
After looking at that footage I'm suddenly not so sure anymore if I wanna try this specific game with the Oculus Rift. xD

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Dear Esther: Day at the Office

You just went full retard.

The game looks good, I like this "full body awareness". Did he shoot a robot of some sort? Or was that a "monster"? Very good sounddesign and atmosphere, cautiously optimistic.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Dear Esther: Day at the Office

You just went full retard.

The game looks good, I like this "full body awareness". Did he shoot a robot of some sort? Or was that a "monster"? Very good sounddesign and atmosphere, cautiously optimistic.

I think he simply has a quota of edgy comments to fulfill, so occasionally he picks a thread at random, posts a vaguely dismissive oneliner, and leaves. Probably didn't even watch the video. No idea why he does it, to be honest. Lost some huge bet against skyway maybe?

A user named cat

Agree with the sentiments here, this actually looks pretty good. Of course the gameplay vid was in total LARP mode, who knows how it'd play with a normal person. As in, someone who doesn't spaz when an enemy appears and run away like a white man in Compton. Guess it's just more Amnesia influence. Not a fan of the whole screen moving when you interract with the monitors either, controls should lock in to prevent that. Aside from that, impressive so far.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Agree with the sentiments here, this actually looks pretty good. Of course the gameplay vid was in total LARP mode, who knows how it'd play with a normal person. As in, someone who doesn't spaz when an enemy appears and run away like a white man in Compton.
Unless of course the combination of permadeath, lack of resources and enemy strength makes it so that running away is the best option in 90% of all cases of interacting with enemies.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Man, the atmosphere in this game looks awesome, really dig the art direction they've gone for. Can't wait to play it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The latest video makes this game look more promising than it was.

Added to my "Keep an eye on" list.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This looks exceedingly cool. Very heavy System Shock vibe to it.

It's also one of the very few FP games that seems to do head bob realistically and convincingly. I love the lean feature and the other full body emulation features.

Lastly, the lovely silence as you're exploring is superb. Much better than any soundtrack could be, and there's a subtle tension-inducing effect that plays when you're in combat which seems perfectly appropriate.

Set the game's website as a favorite, will keep an eye out for this one.

potatojohn

Arcane
Looks like just another horror game where the primary mechanic is running away from scripted scares.

Another "spiritual successor" to SS2, that everyone will mention as such but is really nothing like it.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Looks like just another horror game where the primary mechanic is running away from scripted scares.

Another "spiritual successor" to SS2, that everyone will mention as such but is really nothing like it.

That's really the problem of the people and not the game itself.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's the biggest problem. You get little impression of how the game actually plays unless the walking around with slight interaction is all there is to it. At one point you do see the protagonist bring up a gun so perhaps there's a bit more going on but until I see it I'm not going to start hailing this as a System Shock like game or anything other than an atmospheric adventure game. Very atmospheric and great looking? Sure. But... let's see some more.

As atmospheric as Amnesia was I got bored by the simplicity about four hours into it.

I could do without permadeath to be honest; Amnesia managed to scare me without it (though I don't remember if it was save-anywhere or had checkpoints) and some parts of the original STALKER did it too (though that was a long time ago). I just have no time or patience to restart games.
Aside from that, I like the art direction and atmosphere a lot, but I wouldn't mind more gameplay than that of an adventure game. I'd likely still buy it if it turns out to be Amnesia IN SPACE, as long as it's not too light on content and permadeath is not too much of an annoyance.

Borelli

Arcane
The main character runs faster than a Doom marine:? but otherwise looks great.
And if you think that this is similar to System Shock 2 it must mean you played it a loooong time ago because it is not, unless new footage from the game reveals otherwise.

A user named cat

Unless of course the combination of permadeath, lack of resources and enemy strength makes it so that running away is the best option in 90% of all cases of interacting with enemies.
MAN UP RUNNING IS NEVER AN OPTION

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's not going to be a SS2 spiritual successor or whatever, and it's clearly not supposed to be. An argument can be made that the horror-inducing mechanics will be more akin to SS2 rather than Amnesia, what with the permadeath, open-ended exploration, and the ability to fight to some extent. But that's it.

Peter

Arcane
And if you think that this is similar to System Shock 2 it must mean you played it a loooong time ago because it is not, unless new footage from the game reveals otherwise.

In a gameplay sense it's not, but there is something about it that really reminds me of SS2. I think the main culprit is the sound design and/or pacing in that video or something. Those first couple of minutes of the video (before the baddies show up) just sort of feel like SS2 a whole lot. It has that same sort of desolate, contemplative feeling as the moments in SS2 when you'd be in a side room somewhere organizing your inventory or looking at the map or something, having a breather, but still looking over your shoulder. I think that's what most people making the System Shock comparisons mean. No-one's saying this is the successor to System Shock that Bioshock wasn't. It's just that the mood is sort of similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom