Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Underrail did have a few negatives though for storyfags who like dialog more than combat. It's an acquired taste to be sure. Had to speed up the walking a bit myself. Ain't got time for that shit. Of course I didn't get a chance to play Twitcher 3 yet. I hate the combat on it much more.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Serpent in the Staglands having lower average score than any Shadowrun game (especially Hong Kong) is outrageous if you ask me. I would expect this from Neogaf or RPG Watch but not from Codex.

Weasel
The omens appear promising for a bountiful harvest of butthurt once again, will be interesting to analyse the '60 new members' who signed up to vote too

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Doesn't surprise me. Be honest guys, I like those devs as much as the next guy but the reception by the guys who actually played SitS gave me a lukewarm - 'i really wanna like this but its just kinda okay, I guess' impression, and that was probaby with a lot of goodwill involved.

V_K

Arcane
I find it pretty logical, SR games have much better encounters, writing and level design than SitS.
On paper, SitS has mechanincal depth that SR lacks, but when all battles amount to kiting and picking enemies one by one while traversing vast empty maps, theoretical depth doesn't amount to much.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
the guys who actually played SitS gave me a lukewarm impression.

The reception was lukewarm because this place is filled with graphic whores. The strengths of the game are the interaction with the environment, the storytelling, the dark atmosphere. You can curse people, talk with animals, break enchantments, eat fairies, etc. The combat is broken, but you have different enemies that require different strategies, etc. The game has personality and provides an engrossing experience.

Serpent in the Staglands having lower average score than any Shadowrun game (especially Hong Kong) is outrageous if you ask me.

Codex thinks TB > RTwP, what's the surprise?

Right, because Shadownrun must be JA2! the game has good graphics and turn-based combat, but is shallow as fuck, has Bioware writing all over it, etc. It's a poor excuse of cRPG. I miss the time when we didn't had popamole in sheeps clothing and the only popamole games were FPSs like Skyrim. Now we have a deluge of popamole isometric games and a bunch of retards want to lower the standards of the canon because of this.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
On the other hand it seems that Legend of Grimrock 2 has higher rating than any Shadowrun game which is great.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I find it pretty logical, SR games have much better encounters, writing and level design than SitS.
On paper, SitS has mechanincal depth that SR lacks, but when all battles amount to kiting and picking enemies one by one while traversing vast empty maps, theoretical depth doesn't amount to much.
Not to mention that for SR you just pick it up and run with it, while SitS needs a good few hours to get into.

I'm more surprise Path of Exile is behind Grim Dawn.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Lurker King
Add to this that SitS doesn't hold your hand. In Shadowrun games you're basically going through a narrow corridor, there's nothing to explore and mission areas are rather empty. You just run through and click on an icon whenever it appears and that's it (very rarely you have to type something in but it's all heavy handed you just type what's in the mission objectives / items tabs). You also can't go back to previously visited locations (although in most cases it can be explained that going back to the crime scene is stupid) and often we are asked if we want to leave the area which is stupid because there's nothing there besides the thing we had to do to complete the mission and to get this message so WTF are they even adding that illusion choice? The writing is also mediocre at best (in DF it's a bit better but not by much) and after all these years there are quite a few bugs still left (in HK there are critical bugs which prevent from finishing the game, e.g. Prosperity level doesn't load). Anyway, the list of shortcomings is long.

I seriously wonder how many of you have finished these games more than once because if you play it one time you've seen all. Now compare its replayability with SitS, AoD or Underrail...

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, that bring interesting information isn't it?
Codex's audience slowly changing, to a usual popamole population.
I expected something like this.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Serpent in the Staglands having lower average score than any Shadowrun game (especially Hong Kong) is outrageous if you ask me. I would expect this from Neogaf or RPG Watch but not from Codex.

At least Shadowrun games are playable.
Yes, SitS has some innovative ideas. But overall it's a buggy mess with awful combat.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
I seriously wonder how many of you have finished these games more than once because if you play it one time you've seen all. Now compare it's replayability with SitS, AoD or Underrail..
I've played through DF twice, once in vanilla with a shaman and going mostly for non-combat solutions, the other time in DC with a rigger and going mostly for combat and subterfuge via shafts. The story remains mostly the same, but the gameplay, the way you can approach missions with different builds varies to a great extent because level design can accomodate different playstyles. Although admittedly HK and DMS are much worse in that regard.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
While our brave team of analysts check the data and prepare the results posts, I leave you with this:

cp9sKL5.jpg

One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

I feel like Luke Skywalker going outside and peering out over the desert at the twin sunset of my favorite games such as LoX, WL2, PoE.

Any chance you can move D:OS over to the left a bit next to WL2 and I can take a picture?

Lovely piece of work - thanks!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
In before Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen finishes second in 2016 Game of the Year voting due to Codexers being able to vote Fallout best game of 2016 vicariously through Fallout 1.5: Resurrection. :M I saw this coming...

Going to try to do a LP/review in an attempt to get 1.5 more exposure at NMA when I can.

Why not do a Fallout 1.5 Review for the Codex? Infinitron has been looking for someone to take up the mantle. I've offered, but I also plan on doing a Sengoku Rance and a Skyrim review, so I would appreciate if another could take up the new Fallout.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The story remains mostly the same, but the gameplay, the way you can approach missions with different builds varies to a great extent because level design can accomodate different playstyles.

Niger pleeaaaaaaase. You can use cybernetics improvements, drones and hack the matrix. So many cybernetic futuristic options! That’s so cool, right? No, not really. The drones can be used on roles in the walls that are only there so that players can use drones – I affectionately call them “gamey roles”. The matrix is a retarded mini-game, an impoverish version of the actual game. The cyber improvements gives you + 1 on this and that, but don’t affect the game world in any significant way, and they don’t appear your character model. The developers promised a cyber-futuristic game in concept and delivered a shallow iPhone game in practice. Now compare this with transforming in a mouse to enter in a tiny role, eating a fairy, cursing people with sorcery, talking with animals or using linguistics to decipher old stuff. Much more cool, huh?

Roxor's criticism about the contrast between the exciting quests of background lore and the actual uninspired and generic quests make perfect sense. First, I thought they used more bland and unimaginative game content because is cheaper, but that's not it. They just don't think too much, they don't care. In no other game this is more evident than SR. At least in PoE you have the excuse that is IE inspired game, but in SR the setting itself suggest something more interesting, but is not, it's bland. What I find curious though is that Roxor made a flattering review of Shadowrun and trashed Sitis on the game comments section. Go figure. If I would him, I would try to delete those Shadowrun reviews as fast as I could as if nothing had happened. Praise the game that confirms your principles! Put your money where your mouth is!

At least Shadowrun games are playable.

Playable like a polished turd.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tablet 'My first TB RPG' series Shadowrun is Codex classic of the ages. Codexers wipe a wistful tear as they reminisce about he halcyon days where they could trace the simple commands of 'wait' and 'shoot' on their iPads with a greasy Doritos stained finger.

Fuck you all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom