Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Man, you are massively understating the problem, if CDPR "fixed" the combat balance and added a ton of new attack patterns/abilities to the enemies, I would see this becomming a decent combat system
Which sort of proves my point that there's nothing particularly wrong with the "system" itself, as much as with the balance.

Also, while I'm not too confident on a competent rebalance (maybe mods will address that area; then again both the previous Witcher games were even worse in this, too) new creatures are expected to come with both the expansions, which should help.

1) Those mobs are very often placed on strategic places to fuck you, that requires level design what unfortunately is mostly lacking on Witcher 3.
I think you are vastly overstating the importance of this "strategic placement", it's a one time trick, and one that can fool you just if you don't pay attention. Once you are familiar with the game it becomes pretty hard to die against anything that isn't a boss battle, and quite frankly I beaten even a good bunch of them at my first try (i'll spare you the list of which ones, it's beyond the point).
But I won't deny that DS is undoubtedly a great game with some excellent design (if I didn't love it so much I wouldn't have started first-hand the petition-thing to bring it on PC). What I would have a problem with, on the other hand, is any attempt to imply that anything that doesn't match Dark Souls on even ground becomes immediately garbage.
It's funny how "purists" on this forum can be fond of something like Gothic/Gothic 2 (which I love both myself for the record) and then suddenly become ten times more picky when dealing with the TW3 combat system (but let's be frank, not even TW2 was particularly worse than Gothic when it comes to combat).

2) You waste stamina by rolling, heavier armors make you lose more stamina and nerf your roll and you have to level your stamina up meaning you can't roll around forever avoiding most enemies and win by easily outmaneuvering them.

I'm no sure why that should be relevant. Different system, different rules? In Dark Souls you don't use the same stamina pool to cast spells, either.
And since we are going to point these differences, in Dark Souls it's also far easier than in TW3 to just sidestep most standard enemies and absorb most ordinary blows with a good stable shield.

4)On Dark souls, you can roll, parry and block. The only real way to protect yourself on Witcher 3 is dodge/roll, yeah... you can parry but good luck trying to attack the humans surrounding you and parrying strong monster attacks... yeah, good luck.
Not sure what luck should have to do with it. It's not fringe science. Parry works just fine if used at appropriate times.

6)On witcher 3, signs are hilarious broken, why risk missing a dodge to do 300 of damage if you can do 3000 damage a second with Igni, perma stun with instant kills with Aard, turn enemies on glorified punch bags with Yerdn and have IDDQD with Quen unless you have Parkinson disease? If that was end state Geralt, I would undertand, but you can do that shit by the time you end Velen.
As I said, balance should be reconsidered, as your tools tend to become far too effective later in the game. That said, this is starting to sound like "let's find an hyperbolic, whiny way to describe anything the game offers in a dismissive way, hoping to pile Codex kool kredits".

Angthoron

Arcane
However, Angthoron I would like to hear in more detail about what WOULD fix the combat to make it as good as the writing. Since this is quintessentially an ARPG, where would you consider the paragon of the underlying mechanics lie? That would certainly be a piece of welcome constructive criticism you could include in the review.

Haven't seen you around in a while!

Anyway, let's see. As mentioned, better responsiveness for controls, especially KBM; a more responsive camera with a higher FOV and probably scalable viewpoint from a closer OTS to a more distant TP. I'd probably also add a button for combat-jumping, since sometimes you get stuck in some barrels or crates. That's for controls/UI parts of combat.

Otherwise, possibility to interrupt the animation in general and shortening of some animations in particular would go a long way. Quick-throwing bombs is anything but quick - you're honestly better off aiming them, especially with traits that slow time while aiming bombs. And a less spammable roll-dodge to abuse the AI.

And of course, more basic behaviors for monster types, so they'd be less predictable in combat. Doesn't even have to be anything major, even the amount of times it takes to hit a human for him to let a blow through would be a nice start.

Athelas

Arcane
>anyone complaining about cutscenes

Yeah, let's complain about an RPG having too much dialogue. Or should all of it just be 2 people standing next to each other and everything else happen off screen?
Fuck you.
There are other ways of implementing dialogue than through cutscenes.

There are other ways of implementing dialogue than through cutscenes.
I know a lot of people won't recognize it and give credit where it's due, because it doesn't make you sound bitter and edgy enough, but there's a lot more than just "cutscenes" in the game.

It has maybe one of the best examples of quests mutually influencing each other, both in terms of opening and closing possible options and in terms of affecting the outcomes.
Of course, admittedly everything is presented in quite a "cinematic triple A" fashion, rather than through walls of text and endlessly branching dialogue trees, but to deny that there's more than just "cutscenes" and production value is to look at it with a myopic take.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
2) inability to cancel any animation, e.g. you see an incoming attack, you know you have to dodge NOW but you can't because Geralt needs to finish the last combat animation first, hence you get hit for 60% of your health bar

That's not a problem with controls, but rather a deliberate design decision. There are many games with excellent combat systems where this is also true.

Rather, the problem in Witcher 3 is that it's difficult to predict what animation you're going to enter when attacking, rather than not being able to cancel them. It's better than it was in the second game, but still not very good. Still, if you let people pre-hit cancel animations with W3's current enemy design and AI, the combat would become absolutely trivial.

silvera

Barely Literate
There is no AI in this game. I can go into houses and steal things without any npc reaction.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yes, dear reader, The Witcher series comes to an end with Witcher 3 - curiously enough, both in its game and novel forms.
If you believe that, I've got a bridge in Novigrad to sell you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Which sort of proves my point that there's nothing particularly wrong with the "system" itself, as much as with the balance.

Also, while I'm not too confident on a competent rebalance (maybe mods will address that area; then again both the previous Witcher games were even worse in this, too) new creatures are expected to come with both the expansions, which should help.
So? Witcher 3 original areas won't change one bit with the expansions and CDPR ever truly fixed W1 and 2, why expect something different from Witcher 3?

What I would have a problem with, on the other hand, is any attempt to imply that anything that doesn't match Dark Souls on even ground becomes immediately garbage.
It's funny how "purists" on this forum can be fond of something like Gothic/Gothic 2 (which I love both myself for the record) and then suddenly become ten times more picky when dealing with the TW3 combat system (but let's be frank, not even TW2 was particularly worse than Gothic when it comes to combat).
I don't think every action game needs to be like Dark Souls, my point is that on Witcher 3 when you aren't on cutscene mode there is only combat and the combat as it is right now isn't enough to keep you entertained through a 100h or so game. Dark Souls and Gothics had attributes to level up, builds to make, unique items that were truly unique, some clever level design, varied enemy composition with deadly attacks and unique combat situations. Those things interact with each other and keep a rather simple combat system from being completely boring. The itemization and character system on Witcher 3 are bare bones at best and the game fails to place you on unique combat situations. Why you don't have more situations like that fight on that dungeon with Keira Metz where your mobility is restrained by the white frost and you can't save until the fight is over?

That was the only fight on the beginning of the game that offer some challenge while the rest is brain dead, piss easy even on Death March. I don't think every single fight needs to be challenging but fights here and there that force you to be more careful and at least boss fights with unique monsters offering some resistance would be nice, right now, the "unique" monsters are just versions of the standard monsters with bigger HP. Combat on Witcher 3 is pretty casual, simplistic and repetitive, not that was any different on W1 and W2 but they had pretty shitty combat too.

I'm no sure why that should be relevant. Different system, different rules? In Dark Souls you don't use the same stamina pool to cast spells, either.
And since we are going to point these differences, in Dark Souls it's also far easier than in TW3 to just sidestep most standard enemies and absorb most ordinary blows with a good stable shield.
Again, I'm not saying Witcher 3 should have the same combat that Dark Souls but there should be a way to limit your mobility. You can outmaneuver most enemies way too easy and get out of the harms way too easy. It isn't a mistery why the best fights on Witcher 3 are the very rare few where it isn't so easy to avoid enemies attacks. Unlimited dodging + out of the factory quen makes you immortal unless you are a really, really shitty player with Parkinson's disease. They could restrict this mobility by, like Dark Souls, making you waste stamina or designing monsters on a way that they can deal with this super mobility, offering more resistance but that doesn't happen.

As I said, balance should be reconsidered, as your tools tend to become far too effective later in the game. That said, this is starting to sound like "let's find an hyperbolic, whiny way to describe anything the game offers in a dismissive way, hoping to pile Codex kool kredits".
Wot? I'm talking about the Witcher 3 that actually exist and not the one that CDPR will maybe one day, on a galaxy far a way, will fix. People already said they like a bunch of stuff on the Witcha, they just don't think the combat system is that hot. Where is that like "let's find an hyperbolic, whiny way to describe anything the game offers in a dismissive way, hoping to pile Codex kool kredits"? If someone is dismissive here, that one is you.

It's just shit after Velen.

Why aren't more people saying this? Velen is the only 1/3 of the game worth playing meaning your have to slog through the confusing and poorly written skellige/novigrad content. and honestly I feel the game should have ended after Velen's main story. I can't be made to give a single unmolested fuck about Ciri.

There are few inacuraccies in the review that bring it down, but otherwise it was good read.
The game is an astonishing achievement. Perfect ? No, of course not. Better than anything that came out in AAA space in the last decade? Well of course.

The people who complain that Baron storyline is the highpoint of the game - it is not. The rest of the game is also written to similarly high quality. But it does not all deal with such heavy themes, so of course it will not hit "teh feelz" as hard as Baron did. But there is shitload to enjoy in every part of the game.

Are you fucking kidding me? I cared about Baron at the end of that questline more than any other character in the game (jonny is a close second). The dialogue is especially weak in the latter parts of the game. Philip has the best lines given to any character. For the Novigrad MC you're chasing after a moronic Dandelion, starring in plays, and playing state espionage with Djisktra. For the Skellige campaign I found Yennefer so offputting and inconsistent with Geralts personality there was little remaining to enjoy.

If you can argue that any other part of this game other than the Baron questline is more compelling in terms of story, character, or dialogue then you played a different game than I did.

Paul_cz

Arcane
There are few inacuraccies in the review that bring it down, but otherwise it was good read.
The game is an astonishing achievement. Perfect ? No, of course not. Better than anything that came out in AAA space in the last decade? Well of course.

The people who complain that Baron storyline is the highpoint of the game - it is not. The rest of the game is also written to similarly high quality. But it does not all deal with such heavy themes, so of course it will not hit "teh feelz" as hard as Baron did. But there is shitload to enjoy in every part of the game.

Are you fucking kidding me? I cared about Baron at the end of that questline more than any other character in the game (jonny is a close second). The dialogue is especially weak in the latter parts of the game. Philip has the best lines given to any character. For the Novigrad MC you're chasing after a moronic Dandelion, starring in plays, and playing state espionage with Djisktra. For the Skellige campaign I found Yennefer so offputting and inconsistent with Geralts personality there was little remaining to enjoy.

If you can argue that any other part of this game other than the Baron questline is more compelling in terms of story, character, or dialogue then you played a different game than I did.
No, I am not fucking kidding you. You are just going to have to accept that other people can have different opinions about things. I loved the Baron questline, I actually teared up there at one point (last time that happened in a videogame was probably Planescape Torment).
But where you are dismissive of "theatre plays" and espionage with Dijkstra, I loved that. Theatre was funny, Dijkstra has some of the best dialogue in the game and would be perfect until his last 5 minutes which were handled badly. I loved investigating the murders, finding out who was behind them. I loved cutting down Whoreson Junior. The whole Kaer Morhen part was also particularly amazing.
But you know, opinions, how do they work ?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Main quest in Novigrad takes way too long. The Skellige one is short, but intense, and characterizes Yennefer in a very cool way, I thought - not just as your stereotypical "jerk with a heart of gold", but as someone actually ruthless and willing to go to great lengths to get what she wants. Both Novigrad and especially Skellige have some pretty good side content though - I was very fond of the "Lord of Undvik" quest, that island had an incredible atmosphere.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Yennefer is quick-tempered, relentless, seemingly very cold and lacking in social skills, but as far as sorceresses go, she's not half bad.
If anything, she might be the one that actually treats Geralt with the most respect (meaning that she doesn't outright lie to his face) and has the most genuine affection for him, even going as far as risking her life for him. She acts cold and pretends to be unmoved about the amnesiac Geralt enjoying his romance with Triss despite obviously hating it, as displayed later in the game with an episode regarding a certain bed, which either makes her the most awesome woman in the world ("I see you're enjoying having sex with my friend, so don't let me bother you") or just shows that she's actually a bit insecure about herself. While most sorceresses crave power and influence, she's prepared to settle for a quiet life with Geralt, only wanting to have him as he is rather than just a trophy or a tool for achieving something else. In the short stories she displays some seemingly high ambitions and is similarly willing to do some pretty extreme stuff, but the main reason for her actions is the desperate need to cure her infertility, whereas later on in the story (as well as in the game), her main motivation is Ciri who's like a child to her. I think the few scenes where you do get to see "the real Yennefer" are very well made, and the writers just nailed the most important aspects of her character superbly. She was also never a member of the Lodge, which is a plus, even though she does have her fair share of secrets like every other sorceress.

Triss comes off as more likeable, younger, sweeter, more innocent etc. but is probably the worse schemer of the two, having blatantly used Geralt's amnesia for her own advantage until Geralt's returning memories forced her to finally talk about Yennefer.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Womyn, who needs them.

Geralts best ending is him staying alone, witchering, jumping from hot strangers bed to hot strangers bed. Not only does he enjoy that life, hes simply the best at it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you read this review with a strong slavic accent, it's even better.

UnknownBro

Savant
Yessss, I see... GOTY 11/10.

But, can you make your own character?

I hate that albino pussy-wrangler.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yessss, I see... GOTY 11/10.

But, can you make your own character?

I hate that albino pussy-wrangler.
Hes much better characterized in the third game. While character creation would still be preferable, hes actually enjoyable.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Review doesn't mention that right from the moment in which you realize that you can't shag the var Attre twins, despite Rosa specifically asking for "private lessons", fencing lessons you know, the thing you're doing with your "sword", the story goes downhill right up to the end. CDProjekt really dropped the ball here.

5/10 would not read again.

Angthoron

Arcane
Review doesn't mention that right from the moment in which you realize that you can't shag the var Attre twins, despite Rosa specifically asking for "private lessons", fencing lessons you know, the thing you're doing with your "sword", the story goes downhill right up to the end. CDProjekt really dropped the ball here.

5/10 would not read again.
On a serious note, yeah, I forgot about that quest. Definitely a dropped ball thing there, the whole end of the quest is just a total meh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom