Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPG's 2013 Edition (poll results)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
A while back after seeing yet another one of those shitty top whatever lists from the console Doritos Mountain Dew pop-a-mole gaming site I took it upon myself to see what the Codex would come up with in a Top 50 list. After closing the poll and a thank you to all who voted here are the results:

#15 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (2004 - Obsidian Entertainment)
Coming in at number 15 is Obsidian's take of the Star Wars universe.

#14 - Icewind Dale II (2002 - Black Isle Studios)
Black Isle Stuidos second Icewind Dale game. This would be the last Infinity Engine game released.

#13 - Jagged Alliance 2 (1998 - Sirtech Canada Inc.)
From 1998 comes Sirtech Canada's exceptional strategy cRPG.

#12 - Gothic II + Night of the Raven (2003 - Piranha Bytes)
At number 12 is Piranha Bytes second Gothic game with the expansion Night of the Raven.

#11 - Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007 - Obsidian Entertainment)
Obsidian's first expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2 comes in at 11.

#10 - Deus Ex (2000 - Ion Storm Inc.)
OH MY GOD JC! A BOMB!

#9 (tie) Fallout: New Vegas,The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Temple of Elemental Evil
Tied to pur 9th spot is Obsidian's Fallout game using the Fallout 3 engine (2010). Bethesda's Morrowind (2002) and Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003).

#8 - Icewind Dale (2000 - Black Isle Studios)
Developer Black Isle Studios first Icewind Dale series game.

#7 - Baldur's Gate (1998 - BioWare)
BIOWARE!

#6 - Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (2004 - Troika Games L.L.C. )
Troika's last game comes in at number 6.

#5 - Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura (2001 - Troika Games L.L.C. )
The first game from Troika comes in at number 5.

#4 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000 - BioWare)
BIOWARE!

#3 - Fallout 2 (2002 - Black Isle Studios)
The second Fallout game come in at number 3.

#2 - Planescape: Torment (1999 - Black Isle Studios)
What can change the postion of this game here? Nothing, that's what.

#1 - Fallout (1997 - Interplay Productions)
And the game that started it all (and this website) comes in as the always predictible and prestigious number 1 postions.

Final full results were:
1 - Fallout 189
2 - Planescape 176
3 - Fallout 2 169
4 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 155
5 - Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura 151
6 - Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 125
7 - Baldur's Gate 108
8 - Icewind Dale 105
9 - Fallout: New Vegas 95
9 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 95
9 - The Temple of Elemental Evil 95
10 - Deus Ex 92
11- Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer 85
12 - Gothic II 78
13 - Jagged Alliance 2 69
14 - Icewind Dale II 66
15 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords 65
16 - Betrayal at Krondor 64
17 - Wizardry 8 61
18 - Knights of the Chalice 60
19 - The Witcher 58
20 - Dark Sun: Shattered Lands 57
21 - Darklands 54
21 - System Shock 2 54
22 - Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven 53
23 - Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant 52
24 - Might and Magic World of Xeen 47
25 - Ultima VII: Part 1 The Black Gate 46
26 - Gothic 43
26 - The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II - Daggerfall 43
27 - Pool Of Radiance 42
27 - Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss 42
28 - Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail 41
29 - Wasteland 39
30 - Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor 37
31 - Divine Divinity 33
32 - Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar 33
33 - Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge 32
34 - Arx Fatalis 31
35 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 30
36 - Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny 29
37 - Diablo 28
37 - Diablo II 28
38 - Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos 27
38 - Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny 27
39 - Curse of the Azure Bonds 25
39 - Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra 25
40 - Dragon Age Origins 24
41 - Dungeon Master 23
41 - Neverwinter Nights - Hordes of the Underdark 23
41 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings 23
42 - Risen 22
42 - Ultima VI: The False Prophet 22
43 - ADOM Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) 20
44 - Mount & Blade: Warband 19
45 - Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga 18
46 - Geneforge 17
46 - Legend of Grimrock 17
46 - Neverwinter Nights 17
47 - Drakensang: The River of Time 16
47 - Prelude to Darkness 16
48 - Anachronox 14
48 - Deus Ex : Human Revolution 14
48 - King of Dragon Pass 14
48 - The Dark Heart of Uukrul 14
48 - Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds 14
48 - Ultima VII: Part 2 The Serpent Isle 14
49 - Eye of the Beholder 13
49 - Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon 13
49 - Neverwinter Nights 2 13
49 - Pools of Darkness 13
49 - The Bard's Tale I : Tales of the Unknown 13
50 - Albion 12
50 - Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World 12
50 - Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness 12
50 - Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption 12

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait for the jrpg one and then do a double issue newspost for maximum :obviously: butthurt

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I'd like to see a similar poll with the votes coming from a panel of experts instead of just any random poster. How to determine an expert is tricky but maybe a vote on that could work.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A Top 10 RPGs by few voters would be the most obvious stuff... Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum, Baldur's Gate, PS:T... you know the drill and probably already have a opinion on those games. The real value are in the non-obvious stuff that comes after.

I.e., The jRPG list had 255 games voted for, that means that beyond the obvious stuff like FF7, Chrono Trigger and the likes there are still hundreds of games that some codexers claim worthy of being played, all ranked by number of votes. That's way more valuable than "5 monocled gentleman elected Fallout best RPG evar".

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WHAT?! These are our top 15?! No ULTIMA... no MIGHT & MAGIC... no Wizardry?!!! Did people FORGET everything before 1998?!!

:x

Seriously, these are great games but just seems to be a "best modern cRPGs" list, not of "all time". Man, maybe I'm just getting old...... :(

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Maybe you should just drop the nostalgia glasses and see those primitive games for what they are. :M

Though Ultima Underworld should certainly be higher than shitfall, in hindsight I should have voted for more games.

Drowed

Arcane
WHAT?! These are our top 15?! No ULTIMA... no MIGHT & MAGIC... no Wizardry?!!! Did people FORGET everything before 1998?!!

If it's any consolation, there were 7 games in the Ultima series in the TOP50. But the problem is that ...

Maybe you should just drop the nostalgia glasses and see those primitive games for what they are. :M

Yeah, that's it. It's not that I consider that the Ultima series are bad games. In fact, I remember that I quite liked them when I played for the first time. But there are certain things that actually get better with time. "Good for its time" is another way of saying "good for what it is", after all.

Severian Silk

I think the list is pretty reasonable. Though I'd have liked Prelude to Darkness to be ranked higher.

:shrug:

(Edit: Also, where can I find the previous lists?)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, the list has some interesting things. Like IWD2 which everyone agrees is rather mediocre got a lot more votes than some games that are generally considered much better here.

But that's probably just by association, people vote on one or two BIS titles then include all IE games on the list to fill it up. :M

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, that's it. It's not that I consider that the Ultima series are bad games. In fact, I remember that I quite liked them when I played for the first time. But there are certain things that actually get better with time. "Good for its time" is another way of saying "good for what it is", after all.
Here we go with the "nostalgia glasses" non-argument. You know he was being sarcastic, right? Not sure you know this but I collect and play many of those "Good for it's time" games now. Most of them have more depth and "gameplay" than your so-called games of today. Yeah, they might have BLOOM searing your eyeballs with it's glory but they just lack the enjoyment I get from classics like M&M3, System Shock, or Ultima VI, VII, Underworld.

Man, it's this type of attitude why we get the crap games we get today. :x

SearchEngine

Learned
Granted that I know lists like these will not please everyone and yet, ironically, they were voted by everyone, but I don't get why Baldur's Gate and ToEE got that many votes. BG is pretty average and granted that ToEE belongs on the list solely for the combat but it's still too high. Knights of the Chalice would've made a lot more sense being in ToEE's place. Also the Diablo games, Neverwinter Nights, and Risen should not even have votes.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish these lists also quantified the bias somehow. As in, number of people who voted who didn't actually play a game in the list kind of metric.

Gozma

Arcane
Yo when you have a 3-way tie for 9th place you should list the next title as 12th place

Drowed

Arcane
Not sure you know this but I collect and play many of those "Good for it's time" games now.

That's nice, and?

Most of them have more depth and "gameplay" than your so-called games of today.

There are shitty games today, yeah, a shocking revelation.

Yeah, they might have BLOOM searing your eyeballs with it's glory but they just lack the enjoyment I get from classics like M&M3, System Shock, or Ultima VI, VII, Underworld.

Well, we are not talking about "today's games" (with all that banal, shit, boring things), are we? We are talking about the TOP15 games on this list that, as stated previously, are better games than the Ultima series. If you think that Ultima Underworlds is a better game than "The Elder Scrolls 12: Bloom Everywhere", then I don't think anyone would disagree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom