Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Shammy

Learned
PST features a railroaded story, terrible mechanics, and awful text dumps that could only appeal to awkward teens. Aristotle says that the young aren't fit to study politics, and PST demonstrates that they're not able to appreciate philosophy or writing, either. It is so multifaceted in its failings that it is almost impossible to give a complete account of just how bad PST sucks.

If you haven't heard this before, then you're purposely ignoring the truth.
I have heard of those critiques before, usually in line with 'bad combat' (which I thought was fine) and the occasional text dump, but I've never heard outright say it was completely awful before. What about the story didn't appeal to you?

Haraldur

Augur
I was never really bothered about PST's combat -- iut seemed fine to me (playing a mage). There was a little too much of it in a few places, but otherwise fine. Also, I quite liked the Missile of Patience.

But this is a game one plays for the setting.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't know how anyone with an interest in cRPGs could consider Fallout to be anything other than great. Like, even if you're one of the four people who didn't like it, surely you must be able to see the value in it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree, Jaesun. If PST had an ignore button, players wouldn't drown to death in PoE-backer quality textdumps.

It's beautiful how PST fan boys pride themselves on their "literacy" and "philosophical" inclinations, but then fall apart when they hit a well written criticism. Also, nobody should play PST for it's "setting" unless they really love rubbish heaps. All that's missing from half the locations is a junkyard dog.

Shammy

Learned
I agree, Jaesun. If PST had an ignore button, players wouldn't drown to death in PoE-backer quality textdumps.

It's beautiful how PST fan boys pride themselves on their "literacy" and "philosophical" inclinations, but then fall apart when they hit a well written criticism. Also, nobody should play PST for it's "setting" unless they really love rubbish heaps. All that's missing from half the locations is a junkyard dog.
I'm still waiting for your detailed explanation as to why you didn't enjoy PST's story. :(

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm still waiting for your detailed explanation as to why you didn't enjoy PST's story. :(

Don't hold your breath. You don't have some divine right to a 20 page pdf detailing PST's every failing. What the fan boys have received, over and over again, is a collection of hard-hitting bullet points that evidently can't be countered.

What you're asking for is pretty cruel, actually. Think about it. You want the critics, some of whom have been blissfully free from this turd for over a decade, to effectively load it up again and remind themselves of every reason why the story sucks. Every piss poor attempt at dialogue, every inane text-dump character, the weak transitions and railroaded plot, every inch of this long-expired, never-should-have-been-made, waste of data.

We, the crpg fans, say no.

Shammy

Learned
Don't hold your breath. You don't have some divine right to a 20 page pdf detailing PST's every failing. What the fan boys have received, over and over again, is a collection of hard-hitting bullet points that evidently can't be countered.

What you're asking for is pretty cruel, actually. Think about it. You want the critics, some of whom have been blissfully free from this turd for over a decade, to effectively load it up again and remind themselves of every reason why the story sucks. Every piss poor attempt at dialogue, every inane text-dump character, the weak transitions and railroaded plot, every inch of this long-expired, never-should-have-been-made, waste of data.

We, the crpg fans, say no.
I never said I have any rights to a 20 page pdf, I just want something is all. What ever happened to constructive criticism? How is me asking for a bit more explanation on an opinion cruel? I don't just wanna write you off as a troll, I want to have a discussion.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Don't hold your breath. You don't have some divine right to a 20 page pdf detailing PST's every failing.

Not a right, but there'd certainly be a strong interest in it. It would get a lot of hits on the front page for sure.

Fairfax

Arcane

:popamole:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Even if I gave you a list, you still wouldn't understand it. True crpg knowledge comes at a price; it cannot be reduced to writing and readily accepted by planescape plebs.

I'll play along, though. Here's 5 top crpgs off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Geneforge
Nethergate
Ultima 7
Age of Decadence
Darklands

There are a few other titles that could make the short list, like The Crescent Hawks Inception. At any rate, hopefully this demonstrates why the list on page 1 is awful.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Even if I gave you a list, you still wouldn't understand it. True crpg knowledge comes at a price; it cannot be reduced to writing and readily accepted by planescape plebs.

I'll play along, though. Here's 5 top crpgs off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Geneforge
Nethergate
Ultima 7
Age of Decadence
Darklands

There are a few other titles that could make the short list, like The Crescent Hawks Inception. At any rate, hopefully this demonstrates why the list on page 1 is awful.
:hahyou:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Geneforge
Nethergate
Ultima 7
Age of Decadence
Darklands

23826986-Portrait-of-a-late-20s-handsome-black-man-laughing-isolated-on-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted

Congrats, pal. This is probably the single, most effective, gut-wrenching, mind-blowing, teeth-shattering, horizon-enlargening, groundbreaking criticism of PS:T I've ever read. It's brilliant in its self-righteousness. What you are doing is basically what is called a tautology: you are saying that torment sucks by saying that torment sucks. I want you to tell me exactly what is wrong with its top-notch writing. I really do. The brilliant dialogues? Excellent branching? Or maybe the deep setting and engrossing descriptions? Or the freaking story, excellent in its complexity, the first fantasy story I've seen in my life that addresses moral and existential issues in a way comparable to sci-fi intricacy and depth.

'Aristotle says that the young aren't fit to study politics, and PST demonstrates that they're not able to appreciate philosophy or writing, either'. I discovered torment in my twenties and I was touched by it's ability to bring literature and art in an interactive medium such as videogames. I don't understand how can you think that this is a game appealing to teen masses. Also, I deduce that your understating of Aristotle is quite lackluster. PS:T would demonstrate that young people don't like philosophy or writing if said people didn't play it, which is exactly the situation. So you are making of torment an example of philosophical and literary depth in the very same post in which you are saying the contrary. Apparently, your grasp of classic logic is also quite lackluster.

In the end, I won't hit you too hard for saying stupid things just for the sake of being against the tide. You must have fought a terrible battle against the omnipresent sense of logical coherence that has killed so many people throughout the centuries and on the endless and lonely expanses of the internet that I cannot send you back to the hell from which you hailed, like some sort of pathetic and potbellied rambo in a second-class action movie.

Last edited:

Shammy

Learned

Geneforge
Nethergate
Ultima 7
Age of Decadence
Darklands

Wait, how is an Early Access game on your list? A game that isn't even completely finished? Also, if you can't 'reduce' this knowledge to writing, how on earth are you going to tell anyone? Smoke Signals?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom