Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

Why do you even take that seriously?

Speedrun with an average of 65 hours? What the hell? Is the player blind and spending time on RPGCodex at the same time as playing?

Rushing the main story only and it takes 56 hours. I would love to see them play Arcanum, Cleve might complete a game before they make it to Tarant.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
These figures are accurate; tired of try-hard people trying to get imaginary e-cred, zz.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I could get it done in less than 10 hours, and the current record is 1 hour and 11 minutes, so I'm not even close to the top.

http://speedrunwiki.com/Baldur's_Gate_II:_Shadows_of_Amn

There is one even shorter than the 1 hour and 11 minutes.

[Edited] : Playing a M/T and abusing pickpocket in Waukeen, I could do main quest only in 5 hours, without skipping the underdark.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
Who the fuck cares how fast you can speed run a game? That's a degenerate way to play and not what the design intended (in most RPGs). Most people will want to take their time and enjoy the ride, especially on a first playthrough.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
No one cares about how fast you can speed run a game, but saying that the average game time of Baldur's Gate 2 is 100+ hours, is just plain stupid. It is a long, detailed and wonderful game, but it sure as hell is no 100+ hour game unless you read every single dialogue, or go afk to wait for the romance dialogues to appear.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's definitely like 100+ on your first time through and like 60 on subsequent times if you do everything. Not sure what you are trying to prove.

For the record, I can beat it in 10 hours just as well, but... that's not really the point, is it?

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
It's definitely like 100+ on your first time through and like 60 on subsequent times if you do everything. Not sure what you are trying to prove.

For the record, I can beat it in 10 hours just as well, but... that's not really the point, is it?

"You're more than twice as fast as the fastest recorded main quest only run on that site. Are you a professional speedrunner?"

I'm correcting people who are stupid enough to think that a speedrun of Baldur's Gate II would take 50+ hours, or that a main quest only would take 50+ hours, because there are 10+ slow as hell players on a random site that went into a poll.

Baldur's Gate 2 was one of the biggest games released back then, but those 150-200 hour playthroughs are mostly myths, first timers, or abnormally slow players.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Nobody actually thinks the game takes 50+ hours to speedrun. You're looking at a site where everyone can enter data. The only person who did took 50+ hours in his 'fast' playthrough. The sample size (1) gives enough of a clue. And when people say 150-200 hours they're probably including restarts / replays.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Nobody actually thinks the game takes 50+ hours to speedrun. You're looking at a site where everyone can enter data. The only person who did took 50+ hours in his 'fast' playthrough. The sample size (1) gives enough of a clue. And when people say 150-200 hours they're probably including restarts / replays.

Change Nobody to Bubbles, and I don't have anything else to add.

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=810

It takes me around 25-30 hours to complete the SoA campaign (not watcher's keep), and I do everything in it.

You're more than twice as fast as the fastest recorded main quest only run on that site. Are you a professional speedrunner?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ultima 4-6 (and probably 7 as well) has great exploration, but you explore the same world in each game, so only the first one you play will be completely "fresh".
Re-exploring to find what has changed (and a lot does in each game) is great though, and no other series really does this.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My first time through Baldur's Gate 2 took about 70 hours. I did almost every bit of content, 70% on Hard and the last 30% on Easy (Underdark end game got on my nerves).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You were pretty fast compared to my first time.

You probably had more fun discovering things though. I mostly spammed fireball. And Haste. Spammed fireball and Haste for days.

Didn't work on the dragon fights though. Since it was difficult (impossible?) to beat the last dragon the way I had built my party (and there being no other sources of experience having beaten every other part of the game), I had to bribe him with all my treasures; luckily I was able to put all of my stuff on the ground in advance, he doesn't recognize the difference.

Lost Boo though. The game wouldn't let me unequip him from Minsc's inventory so the dragon got him.

bloodlover

Arcane
Could someone please tell me why KOTOR 2 is better than the first one? I thought the general impression is that the first one is the better of the two.

Could someone please tell me why KOTOR 2 is better than the first one? I thought the general impression is that the first one is the better of the two.

Reason is better writing, better characters, and more intriguing premise. Kotor did its best to extrapolate the spirit of Star Wars to console role playing games. MCA endeavored to elevate the material, creating perhaps the finest Star Wars story ever. The complex nature of the dialogues with companions made it the first true spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment.

Worth noting though that it works like a novel. Starts with a heady mystery, moves slow, and gradually gets better. Original Kotor started with the PC flying into action.

Roid King

Educated
The dearth of Japanese faggotry on this list is glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom