Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG of the year?

Which rpg is the best this year?

• ELEX

Votes: 59 18.1%
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 56 17.2%
  • Expeditions: Viking

Votes: 23 7.1%
  • Divinity:Original sin 2

Votes: 92 28.2%
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Spellforce 3

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • The Surge

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Nier: Automata

Votes: 20 6.1%
  • Galaxy of Pen & Paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyre

• Cat Quest

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Hand of Fate 2

• Battle Chasers: Nightwar

• Mages of Mystralia

• Regalia: Of Men And Monarchs

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West of Loathing

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Vaporum

• Seven: The Days Long Gone

• Demons Age

• Hyakki Castle

• The Keep

• Willy-Nilly Knight

• Ticket to Earth

• Devoid of Shadows

• Children of Zodiarcs

• Fall of Light

• Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • QueenComrade!!!

Votes: 27 8.3%

• Total voters

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shit year for CRPGs.
That's ~17 years in a row.
But,but what about skyrim the glorious incline!
Never heard of her.

There have been quite a few good games recently... Underrail, AoD, PoE, Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall, Might and Magic X, Elminage Gothic and now also Original.... ELEX!
Guess Morrowind was from last 17 years. Heck even Arcanum. NWN, NWN2, the Witchers. Been some really nice games.

Gimble

Educated
RPGCodex Steam curator recommendations for 2017 from this list: Elex, Vaporum, Divinity OS 2, Grimoire, Expeditions Viking, Torment TON.

The collective voting trend agrees with the official recommendations for the most part, with these games accounting for >80% of the votes.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Voted for The Surge. A decent game with zero hype around it that competently scratched my Dark Souls itch.

D:OS 2 is mediocre and I'll bother with Elex once it's patched and heavily discounted. My 2017 GOTY is Endless Space 2. 4x fans should give it a try.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
RPGCodex Steam curator recommendations for 2017 from this list: Elex, Vaporum, Divinity OS 2, Grimoire, Expeditions Viking, Torment TON.

The collective voting trend agrees with the official recommendations for the most part, with these games accounting for >80% of the votes.
Don't trust the RPGCodex curator. It recommends fucking anything.

Mortmal

Arcane

Oh yes dont trust it, remember everything published by beamdog was mysteriously added on the curator list just the day of dragonspear release. As if the guy in charge of curation was contacted for some marketing...If you want to know what's worth playing this year ask the local bar pillars , the consensus is likely DOS 2 and more surprisingly elex. Reviews of elex were absolutely shit on release, yet it seems many people who plays it really love it and rate it above gothic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Who rates Elex above Gothic? I've seen people say it's as good as Risen 1, but not above it, let alone above Gothic.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Oh yes dont trust it, remember everything published by beamdog was mysteriously added on the curator list just the day of dragonspear release. As if the guy in charge of curation was contacted for some marketing...If you want to know what's worth playing this year ask the local bar pillars , the consensus is likely DOS 2 and more surprisingly elex. Reviews of elex were absolutely shit on release, yet it seems many people who plays it really love it and rate it above gothic.
Is the guy in charge a jew?

Deleted Member 16721

Who rates Elex above Gothic? I've seen people say it's as good as Risen 1, but not above it, let alone above Gothic.

Apples and oranges. If you want a tighter narrative and denser overall experience, Gothic. If you want a huge open-world to explore with most of the Gothic Formula in tact, ELEX.

I would say ELEX is just as good as Gothic as an overall experience. It's sort of like Gothic 3 meets Risen 1, but if Gothic 3 was improved a lot.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I like ELEX more than the first Gothic,but i lack the nostalgic feeling that many codexers have for the game. It feels equal to Gothic 2 and Risen 1.

Deleted Member 16721

I like ELEX more than the first Gothic,but i lack the nostalgic feeling that many codexers have for the game. It feels equal to Gothic 2 and Risen 1.

I don't have any nostalgic attachment to any of them either, but I prefer Gothic 1 over Gothic 2 for the more unique and interesting setting and premise. Gothic 2 has more "stuff", and Risen 1 is close to Gothic 2 for me.

Regardless of rankings I'd say ELEX is about as must-play of an RPG out right now.

Gimble

Educated

Who is in charge of it, though? Seems to me like the recommendations generally reflect the 'popular' consensus from each game's individual thread. I don't see Beamdog specific recommendations other than the enhanced edition of PS:Torment and BG (which btw is the only edition that can be bought these days).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected

Judging by the listing, besides Dragon Age Origins, it's actually full of incline. The point of a curator is to point people towards games worthy of attention. In this regard, rpgcodex has a very solid steam curator's list for a website with such traffic.
I mean, when the biggest complains are BG:EE and DAO, you know your list ain't that bad. Take a look at other "rpg-specialized" website's lists, that should help you reconsider your statement.

The codex already has a top50. It's there. It's official. It exists. Steam's curator is something else.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Judging by the listing, besides Dragon Age Origins, it's actually full of incline. The point of a curator is to point people towards games worthy of attention. In this regard, rpgcodex has a very solid steam curator's list for a website with such traffic.
I mean, when the biggest complains are BG:EE and DAO, you know your list ain't that bad. Take a look at other "rpg-specialized" website's lists, that should help you reconsider your statement.

The codex already has a top50. It's there. It's official. It exists. Steam's curator is something else.
If you think that BG:EE and D:AO are the biggest issues when it comes to what the RPGCodex curator recommends, you're fucking delusional. That shit recommends both Siege of Dragonspear and Tides of Numenera, both which are complete and utter turds devoid of any semblance of even minute quality, and whose merits can likely be summed up in three sentences or less. There are others that are entirely debatable, such as Wasteland 2: Definitive Console edition, but some simply aren't; they're simply trash. DA:O was fucking fantastic by comparison.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
What would you recommend that is missed by the curator, and is better than the RPGs over the last 17 years?

The curator didn't miss anything. You can trust the rpgcodex curator - given that you understand what the purpose of a steam curator is.
In this case, it gives you a narrowed list of rpgs - and from times to times games from other genres like TB tactical, strategy, roguelikes etc - from which you can find games that are likely to suit rpgcodex's typical tastes.
It's not a best of, it's not a top games, it's not a must buy. It's a quicker way to browse steam library.
An actually legit "rpg" filter, if you will. One that doesn't offer you to buy Fallout 4 or FIFA.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I played Elex a lot before I said fuck it and uninstalled, but I'll probably get back to it at some point if it gets patched properly or maybe gets an expansion. Initially, I fucking hated the game, but it did grow on me and the game does a piss-poor job of explaining to you how you're supposed to approach it, leading to a lot of both deserved and misplaced frustration, especially early on, and actually restarting and playing it from scratch while knowing what to do and where to go helped a lot. I think it suffered from only being playtested by the same people over and over, instead of introducing people from outside the project for feedback.

Ultimately, I think it's a deeply flawed game in a number of very glaring ways, but I understand what some people see in it. If some things weren't such an utter travesty, I think it could've easily been one of the biggest releases this year, not just on the RPGCodex.
What would you recommend that is missed by the curator, and is better than the RPGs over the last 17 years?

The curator didn't miss anything. You can trust the rpgcodex curator - given that you understand what the purpose of a steam curator is.
In this case, it gives you a narrowed list of rpgs - and from times to times games from other genres like TB tactical, strategy, roguelikes etc - from which you can find games that are likely to suit rpgcodex's typical tastes.
It's not a best of, it's not a top games, it's not a must buy. It's a quicker way to browse steam library.
An actually legit "rpg" filter, if you will. One that doesn't offer you to buy Fallout 4 or FIFA.
Bullshit. If that thing recommends objective shit like Tides of Numanuma, there's no reason why it wouldn't recommend Fallout 4. You recommend shit, you should recommend good shit, otherwise it's not a recommendation. If that's not the intention, then the notes accompanying each recommendation should be rewritten.

HqfHGtn.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom