Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPS Top 50 FPS

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I put it in quotes to emphasize the fact that I don't agree with it.

This is what they said: "The first level’s incredible, the rest is not and it’s sure as hell not as funny as it was in the 90s."

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah not including Duke 3D because the humor "hasn't aged well" is absurd. It should be in the list anyway

Are you implying that the humor hasn't in fact aged well?

Because it has. In fact, it has aged like fine wine.

At release, the Duke Nukem humor felt immature and dumb. In the SJW age of 2015, it feels absolutely necessary.

Riskbreaker

I honestly doubt that they have actually played most games on that list that were made prior to 2004, or if they did I doubt that they consider them truly good. They are there purely in order to give them some GEEK GAMAR KRED.
Shitty list, and a dishonest one at that.

But hey, I just learned that Thief 2 is in fact an FPS, so that's something.
[RPS comment mode}
I am, however, truly disappointed by the fact that such modern classics like Gone Home and Dear Esther are not present on the list. Indeed, those are the games that redefined FPS genre and way in which vidya games can and should be used as a medium for telling deep, mature, emotionally engaging stories. Anyone who isn't blinded by nostalgia, archaic genre conventions and rose tinted googles can see that!
[/RPS comment mode]

Last edited by a moderator:

GrainWetski

Arcane
It's pretty obvious Ubisoft paid for this list. Nobody that has ever played a single FPS would put any of their trash in a top 500 let alone top 50.

The website being RPS, Rule Nuke probably isn't there because sexism and Shadow Warrior because racism.

Probably? C'mon man, we all know that's the exact reason.

Obviously, but we have to question how many other games might be missing because they hurt RPS's feelings.

Deus Ex? Racist accents.
System Shock? Misogynistic for making a woman the villain and especially the midwifes in SS2.
Jedi Knight 2? Umm... I think another racist accent?
Unreal? ...help, I can't figure this one out.

GrainWetski

Arcane
WHERE IS COUNTER-STRIKE

8 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

:argh:

To be fair, as someone that used to play Counter-Strike semi-professionally, CS:GO is actually very good. At least compared to the absolute abomination that was CS:S. I dare say it's almost as good as 1.6.

Of course, RPS doesn't know about any of the nuances of the games and are just including the game because it's popular, but still..

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Bulletstorm is a "self-aware" satire of dudebroism and one of the characters is a stronk wymyn, DN3D is dudebroism. I think this is how their brains work.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I braved the inanity to see what they were on about - well, I should say I braved parts of the article since it is split into seven pages and even with AdBlock I'm not going to give them that many views. Here are at least some clarifications from the article itself, which are somehow baffling all the same:

- Entries 11 to 50 are not ranked, and supposedly are equally recommended.
- To get on the list and be considered an FPS, the primary means of interacting with the world has to be shooting or hitting things (hence no Deus Ex). And no System Shock 2 because even though it doesn't escape that previous definition, the shooting isn't the best part of that game (their opinion, not mine). Of course, games like STALKER and Mirror's Edge made the list so honestly I wouldn't put too much stock that any critical thought happened here.
- Related to the above, the writer joked that if the definition were broader, they'd be forced to include "walking simulators" like Gone Home, so be happy they were discerning enough for that.
- Did they play all the games on the list? The writer of the article admits to not playing at least one entry, Action Quake 2, which is there because somebody named Alice told him to include it. I don't know who Alice is. On a side note, I've never played it either although I did play Action Half-Life for a week or two before getting attached to CS.
- At least for the case of Bioshock 2, the writer states that the original and the sequel are equally good, and it mostly came down to personal preference for him. He also states that Infinite was not good enough to be on the list.
- The entry for Far Cry 2 is retarded. I mean, I actually like that game more than its sequels, and I still think it is retarded. Supposedly it is because it is a deconstruction of power fantasies, or something like that, and that it teaches you that you aren't the hero and that nobody likes you. Only in our crazy world can a developer releasing a game with incomplete AI and scripting somehow push it up in these lists...

pippin

I do think Stalker deserves a spot, not only because you spend a lot of time shooting, but also because you can shoot and kill pretty much everyone and everything without having the game punishing you for it (at least not directly). Mirror's Edge, on the other hand, contradicts their notion. The way guns are handled by the main character is very crippling and limited, especially when you must always be running everywhere.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I agree, STALKER belongs on any list about good FPS games - I'm just not sure how it fits into the poorly thought out definition of one RPS gives. I suppose if I felt like reading more, I could see if they bother to talk more about the edge cases. For Mirror's Edge the writer does say the shooting is terrible but doesn't try to justify it any further. Then there are the Riddick games, where a good portion of the first at least is spent in a few hub areas chatting with people (I don't recall that happening as much in the sequel - maybe that's why its there and not Butcher Bay).

Unfortunately, I don't feel like reading more, because I'm already sure I've put more thought into understanding their article than they did actually writing it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No RtCW?
No Blood?
No Douk?
No TimeSplitters 2/Future Perfect?
No Black?
No Painkiller?
No Prey?
No Deus Ex (I guess it IS a FPS)?
No Unreal Gold?
No Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter?
No XIII despite all these misplaced Ubisoft titles?
No System Shock 1/2?
Not The Darkness 1 instead of The Darkness 2?
Not at least FarCry 1 or FC 3: Blood Dragon instead of 2 and 3?
Putting in Thief 2 in a list of FPS games, and not putting Thief 1 in it while they're at it?
Putting F.E.A.R. that low?

I bet they didn't even play half of that list either.

pippin

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/11/how-half-life-killed-the-first-person-shooter/

There is a peculiar irony to the impression people have of gaming. When “videogames” are lazily portrayed in the wider world, they inevitably show a soldier being shot through a gun scope. Hell, even within the highest enclave walls, people are wont to dismiss the poor taste of others by snarking, “They’d probably like it if it had a gun floating at the bottom of the screen.” The first-person shooter is the most emblematic genre of gaming, and yet it’s now the most under-served, under-developed, and rarest of mainstream releases. There are barely any new non-indie FPS games. And it’s all Half-Life’s fault.

:happytrollboy:

Durandal

Arcane

0ej1uWM.jpg

Next they'll say how Seinfeld is responsible for the doom of all sitcoms too.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This topic needs some ancient Chinese secrets:

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.

Man who stand on toilet high on pot.

It is good for girl to meet boy in park, but better for boy to park meat in girl.

Man who jizz in cash register come into money.

Man who drop watch in toilet have shitty time.

Man who fart in church must sit in own pew.

Man who finger girl having period get caught red handed.

Man trapped in pantry have ass in jam.

Baseball wrong--man with four balls cannot walk.

Man who eat many prunes get good run for money.

Man who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.

Learn to masturbate--come in handy.

Woman who pounce on dead rooster go down on limp cock.

Man who buy drowned cat pay for wet pussy.

Having sex is like playing bridge, If you don't have a good partner, you better have a good hand.

praetor

Arcane
RPS is a shitty site with shitty taste run by "people" whose collective IQ is less than the polycount on the average Doom sprite. tune in later for more obvious news at 11!

Gerrard

Arcane
Counter Strike was the CoD of its time, and it was always shit. When I see fucktards thinking the UT99 announcer is from CS because of mods I want to murder. Fuck you.
:rpgcodex:

Durandal

Arcane
Counter Strike was the CoD of its time, and it was always shit. When I see fucktards thinking the UT99 announcer is from CS because of mods I want to murder. Fuck you.

Could you really say that every other game released in that time period tried to copy Counter-Strike?

Could you really say that every other game released in that time period tried to copy Counter-Strike?

That's what games like MoH and CoD did. Had CS stayed more popular then them then we'd be calling them CS clones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom