Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sacred Fire, a psychological RPG set in ancient Caledonia, now on Kickstarter

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I mean, "more polish" isn't really a concrete stretch goal that will excite backers.

(...)

At least additional voice acting is a tangible stretch goal. It adds something to the game. Whereas saying "increasing replay value" doesn't really tell us anything at this point.

We ain't no PR firm david. Hate the stuff. Hell, no one cares how he'll phrase it. If you need to excite the hipsters, just mention "romance", "housing" or "more beards". Looks like it'll be funded either way.

That said, all three options (below) are pointless to me. For longetivity add more C&C, branching, whatever. Looks like most dialogue choices are binary as far as I can tell.

What should be the first stretch goal at $60,000 in your opinion:

1) More character customization: more variety in male and female outfits, faces, hair and paint styles, more jewelry for female characters and more awesome beards for male characters.

2) Localization: based on countries of our backers as of now, reaching the stretch goal would bring a translation to German, French and Slovak language.

3) More voiceover: the base goal includes Doug Cockle as the Narrator adding voiceover to the intro, key story branching moments and the endings. With the stretch goal reached, we would add voiceover to the inner voice of your player character. Supporting our inward design, a male and female voice actor would narrate the inner dilemmas of the key story choices.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
While psychology didn't exist as a formal field of study in the 2nd century, I'm not really sure how that is in any way relevant to the game. I mean, the characters aren't literally sitting on a couch psychoanalyzing eachother, they're just fighting (where emotions, personality traits, and other "psychological" stuff affects the outcome).
Well, at this stage we're just talking about marketing, really, and I am no expert on the topic. Speaking subjectively, to me I find that the subtitle has a strong distancing effect -- it suggests the posture of an outsider looking in, rather than an outsider drawn in until the game makes you feel like you're seeing the characters' world from their own perspective. "Psychological" speaks to how a detached and neutral observer would assess the characters, and it fits with the meta-gaming issue described before (and discussed below). It would be like if Fallout were captioned "A Pulpy Retrofuturistic RPG" rather than "A Post-Apocalyptic RPG" or "King of Dragon Pass" were called, like "Sim Celtic Clan." It's a small point, probably now over-elaborated, but so it goes.

I think that perhaps in practice it won't feel all that different from any other turn-based where you have multiple options (e.g., weak slash, power attack, aimed strike, etc.)
I tentatively disagree (despite being very excited about this game!). When a player chooses what attack his character will carry out, I don't think he typically views himself as defining his characters' traits. But the kind of options here are the kind of options that typically do (and in this case also) express the character's personality and values. So it's a little weird to think of "Belittle Rome" vs. "Vow to feed their babies to the ravens" as just tactical choices -- yet I can see them shifting in that way. It's hard to know what will happen. I do think players often have a way of looking past the content of narrative choices if there are clear values associated with them: for example, "[Persuasion] Please clarify this text, I don't understand how to express it in Russian" might slip by players because once they see "[Persuasion]" the rest is irrelevant -- I just want to be a persuader. It's like the blue-text options in FTL. They could say, "Use your thingabob as a clyster pipe" and people would still click it because blue means win.

At the same, though, I have long felt that RPG dialogues are far too non-tactical -- I still think that Lovecraft game of Scott Hamm's (the name is escaping me) that Iron Tower was supporting was really innovative in this regard, that basically dialogue was riskier, where you could lose as well as win and where dragging it out tended to be a bad idea. Sacred Fire's kind of dialogue-as-combat or combat-as-dialogue might be a step in the right direction -- even if it's very stylized and metagamey, that still might be better than: "Hub: Here are six ways to run in a circle for a while, accruing lore and small amounts of XP."

poetic

Poetic
Developer
luj1 Thanks for the feedback on "psychological RPG". It's bound to get mixed reactions, but at least people don't expect 'open-world action RPG'. With 1,100 backers and 90% of them being repeat backers, it's safe to assume that the messaging is working, attracting people looking for something different. As those new to the genre will always prefer The Witcher over our game. Also, Darkest Dungeon used the word psychology in their messaging on Kickstarter with great success too. But you are right, that ideally I would fine tune the messaging to each community and push romance on visual novel forums and tough choices on Telltale forums and more choices and replay value here. But I am betting on codexers being able to look past marketing fluff and get what's new about Sacred Fire.

It's as daveyd says - the whole Kickstarter is about improving the core 'choice-making replay value' experience. We pick stretch goals, like voice-over, because they add to the experience and don't slow down the development. That's the most important part - so we can polish, add choices, increase replay value. Also, localization is not in our current stretch goals.

MRY Thank you for your feedback and for your support. On the meta-game: These are valid concerns and I agree that many games teach people these habits. In fact the opposite is our design goal. As every dialogue option in Sacred Fire is the FTL blue-text, so you don't know which one to click to win. Every action has many layers of consequences, so it's not like there is a clear winner. And most importantly there are many ways how to win each scene, relationship, quest and the whole game. The personality system is interconnected and fluid, with aggregate key attributes, like Authority. So it's not like you need to click an option because it boost one attribute, as you don't need that attribute to win.

So the only metagame should be the role-playing in your head. That you the player, chose your own goal in the story in your head (kill that ugly SOB, reach fame, get that hot chick, save everyone, become the king, ...) and you chose your methods (brute force, back-stabbing, become indispensable, win people over) in your head, and you apply it consistently AND the stats you need for the content interesting to these role-playing mindset will be accessible.

Then the question follows, how do choices matter, if they all flow into the same key attributes. Of course you will have situations where you stats give you better odds and worse odds. You can boost them with willpower but still some will remain off limits to you, but they should be options that are of no interest to your, the player's role-playing in your head. And yes, there can be still the satisfaction of unlocking a tiny part of the story with, say a high Hunting skills, but the barrier is fluid (willpower boost chances). But what is more important, we add the satisfaction of the game and NPCs reacting to your role-playing during the whole story.

This is only possible because I am the designer and the writer of the story. I know what content to write for the ruleset, and I know how to tweak the ruleset to support the content I write. Of course play testing and balancing will be needed, that's why we do an early build release to our backers.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah -- like I said, it could break either way, it's hard to know in advance. On the one hand, it could lead players to view narrative choices primarily for their mechanical consequences, on the other it could potentially yield the synthesis of narrative and gameplay that's the hallmark of a great RPG. I'm a big fan of this kind of innovation, though, because succeed or fail it will provide a useful new datapoint for other RPG designers, whereas another standard RPG with standard dialogue trees isn't as likely to yield the same benefits to others. (AOD is an exception, but AOD's dialogues aren't really "standard dialogue trees.")

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We’ve just hit 95%!

This is amazing, thank you all! It's an exciting time for us: after 4 weeks of campaigning as a small team, it’s electrifying to finally have the goal in sight.

As a sign of thanks, we’ve decided to add new attractive rewards to most of the tiers. The rewards are added to the tiers automatically and you don't have to do anything to get them if you have already pledges for the tier.

The first reward we add to all tiers with the digital version of Sacred Fire is the in-game Renown Trait Ancient Blood, as you, our backers, are the lifeblood and the first to inhabit the world of Sacred Fire.

XjNYexq.gif

Next reward is the backer exclusive in-game Golden Eagle Companion. There is an emotional bond and loyalty dynamic between your character and the animal companion.

And if you like the voice in our 2 trailers, you’ll surely enjoy a ringtone, alarm tone and text message tone narrated by Doug Cockle.

Check out our update for more details about these new rewards.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Thank you all! We are still pumped about reaching the goal, and we are looking forward to build a great game for our fans!

Also it seems like the campaign is not done yet :) The last 48 hours reminders triggered a new wave of backers and we are gaining speed. We are currently at #1 both on Kickstarter discovery by Magic and also #1 at Kicktraq Hotlist.

So with 36 hours left and 1250+ backers, we have the first stretch goal in sight!

yWgTisn.jpg

Check out the campaign.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Thanks to your support, we smashed the 1st stretch goal and unlocked the Extended Character Customization!

Here is a short video, showing a taste of the character customization in Sacred Fire:

The next 2 stretch goals add voice-over to both the player character (inner dilemmas) and the story characters (defining moments). You can read more how this supports our narrative and inner design focus in our latest update.

With less than 24 hours to go, the time to join 1,300 backers and claim your rewards is now. Thank you for your support.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
12 hours to go and $2,500 to unlock the inner voices stretch goal - can we make it?

CT6CeFr.jpg

The design of Sacred Fire is oriented inwards, exploring the motives, emotions and conflicts of the protagonist. In key story choices, you lead an inner monologue detailing your thoughts and motives, why you made a choice and how you process the consequences.

To support this design, this stretch goals adds narration of inner dilemmas to immerse you deeper into your role. What’s interesting, we have some of the most distinct voices in gaming showing early interest in joining the Sacred Fire team (on our indie budget!), as the male and female voice of your character.

BClFHaa.jpg

Based on your suggestions, we realized things don’t have to be black and white. While we can’t promise full voice-over for our varied cast, we can use it in character defining moments to make your favorite Sacred Fire characters come alive and immerse you deeper into the story. This stretch goal ads partial voice-over for the 10 main story characters: the 8 potential allies and the 2 powerful villains.

Last chance to get the backer exclusive in-game Golden Eagle companion at $30 and up.

XjNYexq.gif

There is an emotional bond and loyalty dynamic between your character and the animal companion. Everything you do is more memorable (+10% renown), and you look more imposing (+1 appearance). The eagle also vastly improves your hunting skills (+50% hunting). Hunting skills also help with spotting traps and ambushes.

Will we reach the next stretch goal? The story is yours to tell.

hivemind

grats on funding

now I feel ashamed of my possibly retarded advice to not go on kickstarter that I posted in another thread

Weasel
Sigh. I get the marketing angle, just wish this "in-game exclusive backer item which gives you bonuses" thing would stop showing up in otherwise interesting campaigns

daveyd

Savant
Sigh. I get the marketing angle, just wish this "in-game exclusive backer item which gives you bonuses" thing would stop showing up in otherwise interesting campaigns

In general I dislike the idea of backer exclusive content. But in this case It's not really something I care about one way or the other. Even if I pledged for it I wouldn't use it, because it would seem like a cheat code / built in easy mode.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
hivemind No worries, who could have known, right?

Zorba the Hutt Thank you for the understanding, just trying to get the game funded so it can be made for everyone to play in the first place.
daveyd That being said the beauty of Sacred Fire's design is there can be build in complication for having something prestigious - people envy you etc. There is room to make it balanced.

We just reached the 2nd stretch goal! There will be voice-over for the key inner dilemmas of your player character. Thank you all!

To make this day even better, Stoic, the creators of Banner Saga, backed Sacred Fire. We are huge fans of their game world that inspired many artists around the world. To have them pledge their support to our vision is mind-blowing.

With 4 hours left this is the last decisive moment in our 28 day campaign. Let's end it with style! Can we find the will for one last push?

Let's see if we can find voices for our 10 key characters in Sacred Fire.

BClFHaa.jpg

Thank you all for your support.

daveyd

Savant
poetic well congratulations just made it with $65K exactly. :cheersmate:Are you going to take some slacker backer pledges through Paypal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom