Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screen Flicker

Grimlorn

Arcane
I don't know what's causing it and it appears to only be on this website but I'm getting screen flicker when clicking on new links in the forum. It's weird I haven't noticed it before.

I'm also on Chrome. I recently updated my video driver a couple days ago and I know Codex made some changes a few days ago, I'm not sure what's causing it. I just updated my video card driver again because a new version came out. Still flickering. Also updated Chrome. Tried a bit with internet explorer doesn't seem to flicker. IE seems to refresh a bit differently though.

Is it possible my video card or monitor could be going bad?

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Well, if it doesn't happen in IE it's a Chrome issue. Possibly one of the addons, or maybe Flash... do you have the last version of Flash installed?

Grimlorn

Arcane
Well, if it doesn't happen in IE it's a Chrome issue. Possibly one of the addons, or maybe Flash... do you have the last version of Flash installed?
Chrome automatically has flash I think. The problem with IE is the screen sort of goes blank than refreshes. It's a bit different. I may try uninstalling my Nvidia drivers, clean up, reboot, and reinstall the drivers. I did do a clean install on last driver update. Looking through other websites and not noticing and flicker there, the colors are either really white or black usually on those websites.

Edit: I'm on the edit screen and the whole thing is flickering. It's especially noticeable in the background behind the edit post box.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I think I figured it out kind of. When I'm logged out, I don't see a flicker. But when I make a post and it's at the bottom with the quick post box open and I'm highlighting the edit, delete, report, stats, ignoring buttons in my post it flickers. Mainly stats button. Not always but most of the time.

Now it's flickering at different scroll points on the page toward the bottom of the page. Once I scroll up or down it stops, go back to same point it flickers.

Whatever it is, it's completely random from what I can tell. What causes the flickering keeps changing.

Severian Silk

Have you "donated" in order to receive tech support yet?

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm on a 460gtx. When I uninstalled my drivers (344.75) and rebooted, some generic 340.xx driver auto-installed on my PC at startup. Tested a little and didn't notice a flicker. I could also tell the colors were slightly different, more darker on 340.xx. It was noticeable on this website. That's all I can say. I may just wait for a fix with a new driver or rollback my drivers as this appears to be some sort of bug between Nvidia drivers/Chrome/possibly Xenforo.

Grimlorn

Arcane
You're right. I'm noticing it on other websites now. It's just more noticeable on this one probably because of the screen color or something.

Can't seem to find anything from anyone else on Google about it. It's like I'm the only one experiencing it.

A horse of course

It's just your superhuman senses picking up the subliminal messages.

Norfleet

Check monitor contacts and make sure everything is plugged in securely, remove any sources of magnetic interference like headphones or speakers you may have placed on or near the monitor and/or its cables, and if the problem continues, attempt percussive maintenance.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Finally figured it out. It was two bad HDMI ports on my LCD monitor. That's why changing it didn't originally work. I kept changing back and forth between bad ports. I decided to try the only one left that worked and the screen changed.

I'm not use to all this brightness and color now. It's like being outside in the sun.

Edit: Weird it's just my picture settings. You can have different settings between each HDMI port so for some reason there is random flashing when settings were off.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom