Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
7JHpFAF.jpg

kTPQ5Xm.jpg

e7KA1qk.jpg

yLCOhXE.jpg

fHDRIXJ.jpg

4wFApW3.jpg

fNyz07L.jpg
Chim ascended.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Solarix - basically a stealth game in a sci-fi setting making a tribute to System Shock (in more than one way, wink wink). The game is rough on the edges when it comes to graphics, but I enjoyed the whole story with a minimum assistance of the creators without using quest compass. The puzzles are well explained, or you get enough hints to not wonder like a headless chicken. Shame the OST is so short when it comes to tracks lenght.

udk2017-02-0414-01-0913udx.jpg

udk2017-02-0417-42-27o4unf.jpg

udk2017-02-0417-12-35fcurw.jpg

udk2017-02-0418-04-54keu5a.jpg

udk2017-02-0418-14-080tu8z.jpg

udk2017-02-0421-17-09p6uyp.jpg

udk2017-02-0421-17-47azu13.jpg

Beowulf

Arcane
Solarix - basically a stealth game in a sci-fi setting making a tribute to System Shock (in more than one way, wink wink). The game is rough on the edges when it comes to graphics, but I enjoyed the whole story with a minimum assistance of the creators without using quest compass. The puzzles are well explained, or you get enough hints to not wonder like a headless chicken. Shame the OST is so short when it comes to tracks lenght.

Are the enemies still bullet sponges?
I remember that when I tried playing this shortly after launch, I got stuck on geometry almost all the time, hence I quit. Is it still the case?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sadly, yes, they are still bullet sponges. You need more time and resources to make combat more interesting and engaging. Developers probably didn't have both and had to move on knowing well that it wasn't perfect. Still, the encounters aren't heavy when it comes to numbers and after a while I just get used to it.

Regarding the geometry I haven't got any problems except one moment at the end. There was an elevator and I saw enemies lurking on a lower level. I carefully eliminated the threat, but one of them was exactly underneath the mentioned lift. I had to load earlier save game because the path was blocked. It was more amusing than rage inducing for me. Other than that I had a smooth experience.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That man had a family!

And... and it's kinda his fault they're dead.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow! Never heard of this. Any more details or links? My google foo is quite shitty today.
There really isn't much out there about it, though there's a decent description of it on HOTU: http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/game.php?name=Legions

Legions is an ignored war/strategy game from Mindscape, designed for Windows 3.1. Its a simple and unique strategy game, but has some serious flaws with it. For starters, although it runs in Windows 95/98, the age of the game shows, as the graphics are simple and you move around the map with the scroll bars, and ONLY those bars.

The main objective of the game is to pick a nation and conquer the world with it. You can select from a number of historical or random situations, from 1200 BC to 800 AD. Each turn, you can manage your economy (deciding what to buy or sell, although your advisor takes care of the critical needs of food and supplies), build military units, handle diplomacy, and move your units. Each nation also has an 'elite' unit that includes the ruler. This unit is very powerful in battle, but if it is destroyed, your ruler is killed. Here's where one of the unique ideas comes into play, though -- you automaticaly get a heir to continue the game as long as you still have a major city. To destroy another civilization, you need to take all their major cities AND kill their ruler(s). Also unqiue is the fantasic help menus in the game (with easy to understand information) and the great history sections in the manual. More games should have this! Plus, your nation needs to have a strong economic infastructure to support your military, since your towns/cities supply your economy, and supplies are needed to keep your units in the field. Without a strong economy, you will be forced to disband units and can not buy materials to build more. This is a feature more strategy games should have. It's also quite easy to learn how to play.

However, after playing the game for a bit, the flaws come to the surface. In a nutshell, the game is too SIMPLE. Comabt is handled abstractly, by selecting a tactic when you engage enemy units. You have no control over your cities/towns and can only move military units. Diplomatic options are limited, the AI is horrible, and even at the highest difficulty levels the game is easy to win once you know what you are doing. It will keep you amused for a while, but does'nt have the gripping 'one more turn' feature. Players who are starting out with war/strategy games and/or looking for a game set in the ancient world will enjoy this, for a while. Everyone else is advised to stear clear.

I'd say that's a fair description overall, though when the game came out it actually did have multiplayer which I would imagine would be pretty fun, since the shitty AI would matter less. As it is, it's fun for a few hours, given that the AI isn't good and you can kind of just roll everyone by spamming heavy cavalry. One of the cooler things is all the varied historical scenarios, from the Peloponnesian War to the Warring States in China to the rise of Charlemagne, all with some unique units (like chained convicts in China, or flaming pigs in the Byzantine/Persia/Arabs scenario).

I've never found an actual download for the game - I still have the CD and have to install it on a Windows 98 VM to play it.

Krivol

Magister
Ok, just adding info about producer (Mindscape) gave me much better results :) I found some links fr people that may try this game:

http://www.old-games.com/download/5947/legions-conquest-and-diplomacy-in- you need to pay something for donwnload, but this description looks promising:
This game has been set up to work on modern Windows (10/8/7/Vista/XP 64/32-bit) computers without problems.

https://archive.org/details/Legions_Puzzle_Power_-_Win3.1_Game_-_MindscapeEng - seems to have ISO file of the game. I just started to download it but it will take a while on my shit connection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1p5awN4xgI - some yt let's play.

Thanks again - I will try it and will provide some update if I would be able to run it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
yAu9PAm.jpg

"No need for alarm, Ladies. Just passing through."

Probably the most amazing game I've played. I've played great games, some of which I consider the best ever made, but Thief is truly amazing ("a feeling of great surprise or wonder"). That it is such an old game and yet is leagues ahead to modern games when it comes to stealth is commendable.

scr00017.png

scr00012.png

scr00014.png

Moron couldn't stay away from the Geckos.
scr00018.png

Love these big fights. Kind of undecided about the UI, though: on one hand, it helps me orientate better and isn't disgustingly big, plus it makes the areas look beautiful. On the other hand, this isn't how it is meant to be played...
scr00020.png

Vic is a great pack mule, but that's just about it. He's useless in combat and keeps walking through walls or dragging behind me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom