Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

dryan

Arcane
So is it worth playing? Is it better then the main game?
Best game I've played in 2014. To be honest, so far I played only Dragonfall, Banner Saga and The Sims 4 (I'm not counting D:OS or Blackguards because I gave up on them after one too many "Aye sire"-s).

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
1) The way skill checks work in conversation feels annoying. If I don't have enough strength to pick a certain option, don't even show me that option. It feels like the game is constantly taunting you to spread your karma points around but then punishes you if you do so as that makes your character significantly less viable in combat.
Yeah i am not a fan of that too. Funny thing the editor actually gives you the option to hide lines when you don't meet their skill reqs.
I would prefer if it was hidden but it didn't detract my experience.​
2) There's one optimal character build: Rifles, rifles, rifles. Long range? Carry a sniper rifle. Short range, grab an AR and then switch to a minigun. All the other weapon types are subpar compared to rifles.
Not really, no. While rifles are great at medium distances, they get a accuracy penalty up close, where most of the combat takes place, where pistols and submachine guns have higher THC.

Until the Apex mission rifles are the least damaging weapon. The Colt m23 does 15dmg while the Enfield AS-7 Shotgun does 18dmg, the SCK model 100 Submachine gun does 22dmg (2 bullets per 1 AP) and finnaly the Ruger Super Warhawk Pistol does 16dmg. Then you get you buy the Ares Alpha that offers 17dmg, placing rifles on the 3rd spot for most damaging gun.

I used to love rifles, they are pretty cool. They are reliable and predictable, the perfect choice for someone who is just starting with his first character and wants to play it safe.
Sitting in the back popping baddies in the head. While there is nothing wrong with such strategy its far from being optimal. In the director's cut, flanking is where the damage is, and the easier way to flank someone is getting up close and personal, where you don't want to bring a rifle. You are going not only going to be less likely to hit you are also going to do less damage. Try making a submachinegun sammy with hight crits, you will never want those rifles back.

They tried to fix this by introducing weapon variety like tasers in the pistol group, or accuracy/different firing modes to some shotguns. Still, what's the point of tasing someone when you can unload full auto on him and kill him outright or in 2 rounds.
The point of tasing someone is that not every enemy goes down in 2 rounds, like bosses and the like. Thats why you have spells like confusion, blindness, petrify and ap draining like lightning balls and bolts. The taser is also very useful. -2ap, of if you score a critical, -6ap may stun your enemy helpless, removing his cover and making him flanked. Now your whole party can have a blast.

Buffs are nice but redundant when you've cyberware and stims.
No they are not, specially when they stack.
Mages damage output shines only for a brief moment in the mid-game and then falls behind again.
There is more to mages than damage, they are also able to provide buffs like accuracy and armor, debuffs like strip armor and distraction.
The AOE spells are incredible useful. Being able to damage 5 opponents at once with a fireball/lightning bolt is damn useful through the whole game.
You can't do that with a rifle.
Melee is lacklustre.
Enowa.jpg
My street samurai rifleman troll, while very useful, can't hold a candle to this gal.
Chi Focus grants me 2 attacks with 100% of getting a critical. 48 damage for 2 ap was something i got used to.

Shamans suck a bit as there's only a handful useful conjuring spells and spirits are too unreliable unless you pick the creator totem (which is one of the few useful totems in the game, by the way). Deckers are plain bad and matrix segments don't really justify having them around if you ignore story fluff. Riggers scale weirdly but are still worse than other choices and if the drones are gone they're dead weight.
Shamans are a supportive class, but they can still be very useful if built carefully. Their summons are great, they can turn the tide of a battle, yes there is a risk, which is rather small, but i still would take a summon over a drone.
The Deckers suck? Well they look pretty good in the Matrix, where they are suposed to be good. Yes they are never going to be as good in combat as a street samurai, but you can hardly expect that. Still they can be useful with their Mark Target thing.
Riggers look powerful to me. Never played one but my brother does. Losing 1 Ap for another 2 sounds nice. Using ducts to get unexpected flanking shoots is great too.
If i had to play a solo challenge i would probably bring some drones.

I played through this game on hard
Pussy, play it on very hard.
Probably won't make much difference, i haven't tried other diffculties.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mages are awesome at CC. They can leave entire groups of mobs AP-less for turns and turns. Plus dem AoEs who ALSO apply DoTs...

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Honest Answer wanted from those who have played both:
Which game is more fun, Wasteland 2 or Dragonfall DC?

Pondering whether i should get Wasteland or just Play some more UGC.

dryan

Arcane
Mages are awesome at CC. They can leave entire groups of mobs AP-less for turns and turns. Plus dem AoEs who ALSO apply DoTs...
I played the original Dragonfall on Hard and now the DC on Very Hard. It makes a big difference. On Hard you don't really have to worry a lot about positioning your team strategically. You just take cover behind some obstacle once and that's it.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Honest Answer wanted from those who have played both:
Which game is more fun, Wasteland 2 or Dragonfall DC?

Pondering whether i should get Wasteland or just Play some more UGC.
I torrented it just to try it, to see if it was worth getting it.
Well, to me, its not. Got bored of it pretty quickly and couldn't force myself to play it past High Pool. It felt like a poor man's fallout tactics.
The character creation/progression and combat are shallower than shadowrun's.
You might want to check the Wasteland 2 subforum and read some of the issues it has.

In short, i enjoyed Shadowrun more.

dryan

Arcane
I played the original Dragonfall on Hard and now the DC on Very Hard. It makes a big difference. On Hard you don't really have to worry a lot about positioning your team strategically. You just take cover behind some obstacle once and that's it.
Duh, I quoted the wrong post here. Was supposed to reply to Shadowfang

Shadowfang

Arcane
Duh, I quoted the wrong post here. Was supposed to reply to Shadowfang

Well you also have to take into account that back in the original Dragonfall the penalty for being out there in the open was not so severe.
The flanking damage is new to the Director's Cut and it is what made the game a little harder.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It felt like a poor man's fallout tactics.
In short, i enjoyed Shadowrun more.

Oh, that doesn't sound to good, thanks for the info.
FT was a fun Little game but already not so big on the "tactics" part (drug abusing ftw), so a dumbed down Version of it is probably not worth paying for.
Sounds like i will spend some more time with SR then.
BTW, new patch (~280mb) went live today.

Patch notes:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=300550

agris

Arcane
Patron
For those of you without a lot of time who'll probably play this only once, I think you get the most narrative and dialogue content out of the game playing a hybrid rigger-mage with a point in decking and conjuring and at least 4 CHA. Your essence is only 5, so you're reduced to 5 spellslots but if you play your karma correctly you can have 3 'weapon' slots; aka the mage nuke and 2 drones.

Multi-headed Cow

So is it worth playing? Is it better then the main game?
Best game I've played in 2014. To be honest, so far I played only Dragonfall, Banner Saga and The Sims 4 (I'm not counting D:OS or Blackguards because I gave up on them after one too many "Aye sire"-s).
Dropping DoS and Blaggards for fucking Banner Saga? You've really done it this time.

Sims 4 would be acceptable if they hadn't removed the story system though. Absolutely kills the game. I don't know what the fuck they were thinking. I don't give a shit about pools or toddlers but making me go back to a static hellscape where the NPCs solely exist when observed by the PC and don't build relationships/jobs/babies by themselves is just unacceptable. I was even fine with dropping Sims 3's open world for a faster loading and more stable game, but holy shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

dryan

Arcane
Jaesun Joined: May 14, 2004 :roll:

No, but seriously, Banner Saga came out before, and by the time Blackguards and D:OS got released, I had had my share of medieval bullshit for the year. I'm sick of fairy tales.

dryan

Arcane
What should I play after this game? I'm looking for something with very similar combat, little story, strictly non-medieval.

Shadowfang

Arcane
What should I play after this game? I'm looking for something with very similar combat, little story, strictly non-medieval.
X-Com, Expeditions: Conquistador, XCom and Halfway.
In that order.

I am sure there are many more, and the last two are not that great, but thats a strict criteria.
I'll try to come up with some more.

dryan

Arcane
In that order.

I am sure there are many more, and the last two are not that great, but thats a strict criteria.
:brodex:

Shadowfang

Arcane
dryan, forgot about Shadow Watch. Its not a RPG, although it has rpg elements like character progression, the combat is similar with stealth and very slow paced.
I love the visual, it hasn't aged at all to me.
The story is cool. There are some text to be read if you wish so, but you don't have to if you are not in the mood.
There were a couple of choices that lead to different missions if i am not mistaken.

Pretty cool game, but it might get repetitive because of its simpleness.

roshan

Arcane
dryan, forgot about Shadow Watch. Its not a RPG, although it has rpg elements like character progression, the combat is similar with stealth and very slow paced.
I love the visual, it hasn't aged at all to me.
The story is cool. There are some text to be read if you wish so, but you don't have to if you are not in the mood.
There were a couple of choices that lead to different missions if i am not mistaken.

Pretty cool game, but it might get repetitive because of its simpleness.

Does this game allow you to click to move characters? I tried it but couldn't figure out the interface.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In that order.

nigger you are recommending xcom instead of xenonauts wtf is wrong with you

Shadowfang

Arcane
roshan I played it on a laptop without a mouse so i used the wasd keys, but with a mouse i believe you have to click the arrows.

Darth Roxor in my defense i didn't play either one. I knew xcom had a similar combat but i know nothing about xenonauts except for its name.
By the way thanks for mentioning that counterstrike works with ranged weapons. Ranged adept with sub-machineguns turned out to be awesome.

Edit:
Oops just noticed that it was DeepOcean who mentioned counterstrike with ranged weapons.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

Besides what's already mentioned Jagged Alliance 2, Wasteland 2, Fallout Tactics

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom