Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
20,000 backers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love the concept art.
0b20c5ccbaeaf473bbbe291bca5899f7_large.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Wait, are they switching to first person perspective for this one?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Think I might actually bend over for this one for the 55 tier afterall.

Don't forget the codex fundraiser as well. Unless you specifically are looking for an item on the actual KS. Or donate to both! :D

I might just go for both eventually. But I am interested in the SR PnP stuff that they offer, so that's a priority. Also need to check how PayPal works, never used it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Don't forget the codex fundraiser as well. Unless you specifically are looking for an item on the actual KS. Or donate to both! :D

I might just go for both eventually. But I am interested in the SR PnP stuff that they offer, so that's a priority. Also need to check how PayPal works, never used it.
HBS are not accepting PayPal for this campaign. Too much hassle, they said.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

HBS are not accepting PayPal for this campaign. Too much hassle, they said.

Good to know. I suppose it's good for them to cut back some of the extra hassle and focus on the game since they are not reaching for the stars and are happy with less to not bloat their project. I meant the Codex fundraiser which I suppose goes through PayPal, though, the KS goes through Amazon as usual.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Good to know. I suppose it's good for them to cut back some of the extra hassle and focus on the game since they are not reaching for the stars and are happy with less to not bloat their project. I meant the Codex fundraiser which I suppose goes through PayPal, though, the KS goes through Amazon as usual.
Nope, KS no longer goes through Amazon either

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Well fuck me how the world changes all of a sudden...

Can someone tell me briefly how the new system works?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Ok fuckers. 55 went to KS and 20 to the prestiged magazine. And I'm so fucking drunk I probably don't even remember this tomorrow, let alone when the bill arrives....

And while I'm spending why not a bit for 'Dex too.

Last edited:

imweasel

Regarding itemization: I'd rather have them evolve the game towards Jagged Alliance, not Baldur's Gate.

I understand that variety is cool but the setting doesn't lend itself to enchantment derp. A gun is a gun. It shoots bullets. Some do it better than others. Stuff like tazers, grenade launchers, net throwers maybe ? are good but there's only so much of this stuff you can come up with before players start derping around with batman gadgets.

And no more armors with ridiculous stat bonuses please. Maybe some power armor at end game or a mage outfit that is a fetish itself but even that would be approaching derp.
Items don't have to be enchanted to be special, they could simply be rare (i.e. very expensive) high tech stuff or unique prototypes, which fits the Shadowrun setting very well. In Dragonfall there were already many unique/rare high tech rewards: A Matrix enhancement for Blitz, Eiger's custom weapon, Glory's unique cyberware, etc.

On a side note, I already read "unique and rare items are shit, none of that please", but unique and very expensive resp. rare items like in Fallout, Baldur's Gate, or in part Dragonfall is what makes itemization really interesting. Just to be clear, I don't think anyone wants the looting bonanza from Baldur's Gate or Fallout where you stuff 30 swords/guns into your team's backpacks and sell them for cash. That doesn't really fit the setting.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Items don't have to be enchanted to be special, they could simply be rare (i.e. very expensive) high tech stuff or unique prototypes, which fits the Shadowrun setting very well. In Dragonfall there were already many unique/rare high tech rewards: A Matrix enhancement for Blitz, Eiger's custom weapon, Glory's unique cyberware, etc.

On a side note, I already read "unique and rare items are shit, none of that please", but unique and very expensive resp. rare items like in Fallout, Baldur's Gate, or in part Dragonfall is what makes itemization really interesting. Just to be clear, I don't think anyone wants the looting bonanza from Baldur's Gate or Fallout where you stuff 30 swords/guns into your team's backpacks and sell them for cash. That doesn't really fit the setting.

I have nothing against the idea as a concept, but a concept eventually has to be implemented into something concrete. I'm rather concerned that this concrete would turn out absurd/not right for the setting if the volume of such items gets to high e.g. turns into a quota that must be filled. Even if the number is low I'd still prefer if there was no "Fallout power armor" like items that completlly overshadow everything else in their category.

For example I like the tazer as an unique item because it has good synergy with melee builds and it fits the setting. I don't like the minigun as much because a shadowrunner walking around with a minigun is kind of derpy.

So, to reiterate my point, unique items are fine as long as good taste is exercised and their usefulness comes from synergy with other items/builds and not from uber stats.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have nothing against the idea as a concept, but a concept eventually has to be implemented into something concrete. I'm rather concerned that this concrete would turn out absurd/not right for the setting if the volume of such items gets to high e.g. turns into a quota that must be filled. Even if the number is low I'd still prefer if there was no "Fallout power armor" like items that completlly overshadow everything else in their category.
Every single category has this in the current Shadowrun games. There is a single "best item" that you always end up with.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Every single category has this in the current Shadowrun games. There is a single "best item" that you always end up with.

Yes, of course, but the jump in power from 2nd best to best is not that much.(except for shotguns maybe 'cause of burst ? can't remember). Anyway, I meant no items that are so powerful compared to the next best one that they trivialize the rest of the mechanics (char build, tactics etc.). No huge spike in power basically. Instead I'd prefer if the higher quality of the item is reflected through increased synergy with other stuff or situational usefulness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom