Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch Original Campaign

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
They worked just fine to me. P. lulzy on that mission where you have to defend from some waves of AI while the guy hacks a terminal.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"Hey Folks,

There is a casing issue with the latest patch on Steam. There is a Hotfix going up very soon, but if you wish to play now please follow the following steps:

1) Right click on Shadowrun Returns and click 'Properties'
2) Select the Local Files tab and click 'Browse Local Files'
3) In the revealed folder, go to Shadowrun_Data/StreamingAssets/standalone
4) Rename the Seattle folder to seattle.
5) For Dragonfall users, rename the Berlin folder to berlin

We apologize for the inconvenience to our Linux users."

Branm

Learned
So did these noobs implement saving anywhere yet or is it still to hard and difficult?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
"Hey Folks,

There is a casing issue with the latest patch on Steam. There is a Hotfix going up very soon, but if you wish to play now please follow the following steps:

1) Right click on Shadowrun Returns and click 'Properties'
2) Select the Local Files tab and click 'Browse Local Files'
3) In the revealed folder, go to Shadowrun_Data/StreamingAssets/standalone
4) Rename the Seattle folder to seattle.
5) For Dragonfall users, rename the Berlin folder to berlin

We apologize for the inconvenience to our Linux users."
What's this about?

Oh seems loonix users couldn't save/load

So did these noobs implement saving anywhere yet or is it still to hard and difficult?
You can save anywhere now

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like they just discovered that Linux's file system is case sensitive.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bought Shadowrun Returns Deluxe + Shadowrun: Dragonfall for $11.78 on sale versus $24.98 (sale is over as of now)

DMS took around 28 hours though a lot of that was replaying the
bug shaman final battle
on very hard.
Dropped that bit back to normal and the fight became no problem (1). Fun as hell game and initial campaign.
The developer's deserve a lot of praise imho. Months ago I had taken a look at early versions of this and went in to wait and see mode.

Can't find any fault with the first campaign. There were no bugs (;) - the game ruining kind). Story was interesting enough that I wanted to read it instead of skipping text. Combat was tactically interesting and forgiving for my first foray into shadow running. Was it X-COM:EU difficult on highest setting? No. If that was as intended then I found it sensible design. I, as a player, could dabble in different skill sets w/o being punished again and again. The only punishment occurred at the final battle.
I found this to be very a very good value for the money.

Note (1): Dropped difficulty back to normal because I was ready to move on to next campaign (DF), rather than experiment another day with different group composition. If there had been the availability to customize mercenary runners I most likely would have experimented more.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Wat. I beat the final battle on the second go on very hard. It was surprisingly really easy.

Attack the chick first until she dies then kill the other stuff. I went for the bugs first on my first attempt, wrong move.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I vaguely remember that most awful segment of video games. Doesn't it end when you
kill her
?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Attack the chick first until she dies then kill the other stuff. I went for the bugs first on my first attempt, wrong move.
I did the exact opposite of this on my first attempt and it worked just fine. :M

It's important to keep your people behind cover and to shoot the open things whenever you have a free moment. Attacking directly isn't efficient because of high DR (though I guess with full auto and similar it'll work through attrition).

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
TBH most of the problem I had on VH mode was probably due to a poor choice of Runners.
1.My character was too much a jack of all trades
2. I had the utility mage - very little offensive capability - he was always needing to cast buffs and his offense spell was weak
3. The ghost, while he had a bug gun, was too one-dimensional
4. Harlequin - did not understand his role very well at first - Was running him around meleeing until i realized he had great offensive spell capability.
That, and after speed running the game for 10+ hours on day 2 I just get tired, then my relentless feat kicks in and I trudge on mind-numbingly blind. C'est la Vie.

neucifer

Novice
I've almost beaten DMS, stuck on
that final bug shaman fight. I played a mage for the campaign and focused on DPS spells instead of hold/weaken, but it seems like I might have to reload the final mission with a different skillset to hold her in place long enough to DPS her down before the bugs swarm me? also I suppose a meatier decker would help, a decker is required for the earlier part of the last mission, correct?

neucifer

Novice
and making the bugjuice guns 2-round capacity when it takes 3 rounds to off a bug is just gamey and stupid IMO...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Caved and bought it during the sale. tl;dr version, Dragonfall is a big improvement IMO, DMS seems lackluster.

Bought Shadowrun Returns Deluxe + Shadowrun: Dragonfall for $11.78 on sale versus $24.98 (sale is over as of now)

DMS took around 28 hours though a lot of that was replaying the
bug shaman final battle
on very hard.

Wut, 28 hours? How? I think I finished it in 10 to 14, steam only counted around 8 or 9 hours though.

Bug fights suck, also pigeonholing you into having to use those 2 runners for the endgame on very hard was a bad idea. Also harlequin can't hit jack shit with his sword, the useless cunt. But I will admit that final fight was fun and properly hard, even if I dislike the bug killing astral bacteria guns gimmick.

Overall DMS as a campaign is mediocre and short. Too linear, not a whole lot of actual shadowrunning, meh weapon choices and combat is mostly too easy on very hard. The only exception is the last boss. Plot was decent until "you know what". Base combat system and mechanics are pretty good though.

I think the ghoul fight at the cemetery was the best one apart from the very final battle. Also the matrix fights were pretty good.

Luckily though Dragonfall from what I played so far improves in most of those areas. Has some nice choices (not sure if they have any consequences), optional stuff and the plot is a lot more interesting. Also you have a wider range of weapon types.

Apart from the tablet friendly interface which sucks on the PC and not being able to save in combat I would say that Dragonfall is a very solid RPG campaign. At least from what I have seen so far, about 7 hours in I believe. Berlin is a lot better setting than Seattle or at least it got presented in a more interesting way, I'm not really familiar with Shadowrun lore.

Dragonfall is not spectacular "worship along with Fallout, Arcanum and Torment" level, but arguably at least on the level of TOEE (it beats it in every aspect but the combat and system mechanics IMO, definitely better quests and plotline). Sure as hell better than Bioderp's and Bethpizda's drek, the tactical turnbased combat may not be too complex but it's better than Fallout's and leagues ahead of AAA crap.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Okay 28 hours seems a lot to me too now I reflect on it. Thats just me though. I spend time where others most likely click through.
I viewed DMS as a training campaign. Not too many hours investment. Non-brutal (VH mode was...not VH), but that gave me wiggle room to try almost every facet of skill set to some extent (ranged combat/melee/spells/conjuring/decking/rigging/cyberware ehancements, etc.) Plus, the writing took me decades into the past of my memory of reading W. Gibson's Neuromancer. (Weird wiki fact- he was born in South Carolina - +1 for the South, whodathunkit?)

If some of you kids have not read Neuromancer but enjoy SRR give it a try. Highly recommended.
Link to description:
http://williamgibsonbooks.com/books/neuromancer.asp

Moving on to DragonFall. Looks good already :)

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So yeah hate to do this, but kind of stuck on the hopefully last mission
at the CEO floor of telestrian, having to deck and find some info - but I'm getting killed by the AI's.. is some major restart the only option... and how much more of this game is there at this stage ?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I would have to think that you're suffering some fundamental misunderstanding of decking combat to fail completely.

My memory is a bit hazy regarding the decking, but don't your little minion programs refresh?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So yeah hate to do this, but kind of stuck on the hopefully last mission
at the CEO floor of telestrian, having to deck and find some info - but I'm getting killed by the AI's.. is some major restart the only option... and how much more of this game is there at this stage ?

I would have to think that you're suffering some fundamental misunderstanding of decking combat to fail completely.

My memory is a bit hazy regarding the decking, but don't your little minion programs refresh?

In other words, just keep logging out and back in until you've cleared everything out. Yes, it's not very fun.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
On normal difficulty I found the hacking so easy it was almost pointless. Maybe you're on a higher difficulty mode.

And there is another mission or two after that, if I recall correctly.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
On normal difficulty I found the hacking so easy it was almost pointless. Maybe you're on a higher difficulty mode.
Hacking difficulty depends a lot on the quality of your skills and programs, you can get very low hit chances if you're not up to date. If you're near the end of the game and haven't invested enough into hacking then I can see it getting quite hard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hacking difficulty depends a lot on the quality of your skills and programs, you can get very low hit chances if you're not up to date. If you're near the end of the game and haven't invested enough into hacking then I can see it getting quite hard.

Ah, that would make sense. I used a runner for hacking both games, so I never came across this issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom